Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You know when your fuel gets really low and the turbo cuts out to save you fuel and of course ensures that you get yourself to the nearest petrol station? Is it called eco mode? I thought it was called that, but reading about eco mode, that seems to refer to the battery when the ignition has been left on without the engine running.

Anyway, whatever it's called, this thing usually kicks in no problem when my fuel gauge indicator gets to about 2 or 3 millimetres from completely empty, the turbo cuts out and the car accelerates very slowly until I fill it up, then the turbo kicks in again. I really like this feature, you can never run out of fuel and be stranded because it's horrible driving it without the turbo so you just HAVE to fill it up. Last night however, it didn't kick in and my fuel gauge got lower than it's ever been, as far left as it can go. I think there's just enough to get me to a petrol station. I even switched the engine off and then on again and the turbo is still working. Is something broken, or is it a faulty sensor? :confused:

Peugeot 307 Hdi 2.0 90bhp 2001, 74,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Eco-mode has nothing to do with your turbo it should kick in at all times, it is to save power to the battery if you leave something turned on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
its never advisable to go below 1 1/4 of a tank of fuel im sure you know that as the reasons are obvious,

when you topped up was the turbo kicking in? if not check the waste-gate link isn't off or your not in limp home mode.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pugbod said:
its never advisable to go below 1 1/4 of a tank of fuel im sure you know that as the reasons are obvious,

when you topped up was the turbo kicking in? if not check the waste-gate link isn't off or your not in limp home mode.
Like I said, every time I've ever gone to very low fuel, the turbo switches off ( maybe this is what you call limp home mode?) and the car accelerates very slowly UNTIL I fill it up and then after a couple of seconds, the turbo kicks back in again. I have no idea what or where the waste gate link is. :(

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pugbod said:
and as you say it works ok when you fill up
Thanks for the help but I still don't think you've understood my question. Please read my first post. I am saying the turbo USUALLY turns OFF when fuel is low and USUALLY turns back ON when fuel tank is topped up. However, last night, the fuel was low and the turbo did NOT turn off. So, is this a waste gate problem?

·
Registered
239 Posts
low fuel level effects the stability of the system not surprising to those who run these cars ill give you warning though ( Citroen use the same engine and its fraught with issues ) diesel that is

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pugbod said:
low fuel level effects the stability of the system not surprising to those who run these cars ill give you warning though ( Citroen use the same engine and its fraught with issues ) diesel that is
I believe what I'm talking about is a built in safety feature on the 307 to stop me suddenly running out of fuel. Normally, when the fuel level is low (when the fuel gauge indicator is very far to the left, about 2 or 3 millimetres from completely empty) the turbo turns off to warn me that I need more fuel, but it allows me to slowly limp to a garage with however many miles are left in the tank. It is not a stability issue as far as I can see.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
I have 2x307`s and i fill them both up then run them near empty (500miles a tank) and never once had an issue with the turbo turning off or not working when near empty,i can still drive flat out with the light burning, could be another problem ?:confused:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bettyswollocks said:
I have 2x307`s and i fill them both up then run them near empty (500miles a tank) and never once had an issue with the turbo turning off or not working when near empty,i can still drive flat out with the light burning, could be another problem ?:confused:
Well, I dunno then, I'll call peugeot tomorrow and ask them what it's all about. If the turbo turning off when fuel is low is a fault and not a built in feature, then it's a very consistent and welcome fault, since as I've mentioned, it alerts me to get fuel rather than it driving normally and then I forget to fill up and it dies on me. And if it IS a fault, I have to wonder why this fault didn't then kick in last night. I've now filled the car and got over half a tank and fortunately didn't run of out of fuel before getting to tesco's garage. :D

Whether it's technically the turbo switching off I can't be sure. All I am sure of is that when fuel is low, the acceleration of the car is unbelievably slow, embarassingly if someone is behind me, until it builds momentum and then it gets up to normal speed. So I'm assuming that's the turbo switching off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bettyswollocks said:
Let us know how you get on .:)
Thanks, will do. And I do appreciate all the responses from you guys, regardless of whether we solved anything or not. I used to also post at peugeot central but now you have to pay a subscription there and they hardly ever respond much anyway, lol.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Cheers MERLIN and you will notice we ALL post here , right or wrong we all have a voice, so glad to have you aboard.
(a few that were overthere have left the darkside and come over here :jedi: ).
:thumb:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bettyswollocks said:
Cheers MERLIN and you will notice we ALL post here , right or wrong we all have a voice, so glad to have you aboard.
(a few that were overthere have left the darkside and come over here :jedi: ).
:thumb:
Thanks. Lol, not surprising really, I mean it might be worth paying for a sub if we all had lots of problems with our cars throughout the year and had to make lots of posts, but not many of us do.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, ok, it doesn't appear to be a built in feature, much to my disappointment as none of the guys at robins and day have heard of it. One chap suggested it might be an engine management problem, though I'm not aware of seeing the engine management light coming on. I'll have to keep my eye on that in future.

He said if it is engine management, then it would probably go into limp home mode as mentioned by pugbod. He said that would in fact use up more fuel rather than save it. Another suggestion was that it may be low fuel pressure when the fuel gets so low, that it can't find the power to accelerate enough.
Good thing is, he told me that when the fuel gauge indicator shows empty, ie, right at the very far left, there is apparently still about 5 litres of fuel left.

Anyway, whether it's engine management or low fuel pressure, I still wonder why it accelerated normally the other night when the fuel level was at it's lowest. We may never know! :D

G

·
Merlin said:
Well, ok, it doesn't appear to be a built in feature, much to my disappointment as none of the guys at robins and day have heard of it. One chap suggested it might be an engine management problem, though I'm not aware of seeing the engine management light coming on. I'll have to keep my eye on that in future.

He said if it is engine management, then it would probably go into limp home mode as mentioned by pugbod. He said that would in fact use up more fuel rather than save it. Another suggestion was that it may be low fuel pressure when the fuel gets so low, that it can't find the power to accelerate enough.
Good thing is, he told me that when the fuel gauge indicator shows empty, ie, right at the very far left, there is apparently still about 5 litres of fuel left.

Anyway, whether it's engine management or low fuel pressure, I still wonder why it accelerated normally the other night when the fuel level was at it's lowest. We may never know! :D
did they put it on diagnostics to pull any error codes off it?

from what i am told the BSI stores a long history of fault occurences so if you can remember when you had the issue you might be able to match the codes up :thumb: Also not all faults will throw the management light on, i know egr/maf faults dont so the only way to truly diagnose these is via diagnostics (thats just an example, a turbo or fuel pressure problem should bring it on in theory!)

good news about the extra 5 litre stash as well, thought i wasnt going to make it home from work today as i'm on dead empty! :lol:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh I've had no diagnostics tests, I just spoke to them on the phone. Well, I'm just going to leave it for now as it doesn't cause a problem. I saw it (the acceleration slowing down prompting me to fill up) as more of a handy feature rather than a problem. :)

Stubbo said:
did they put it on diagnostics to pull any error codes off it?

from what i am told the BSI stores a long history of fault occurences so if you can remember when you had the issue you might be able to match the codes up :thumb: Also not all faults will throw the management light on, i know egr/maf faults dont so the only way to truly diagnose these is via diagnostics (thats just an example, a turbo or fuel pressure problem should bring it on in theory!)

good news about the extra 5 litre stash as well, thought i wasnt going to make it home from work today as i'm on dead empty! :lol:

G

·
Stubbo said:
from what i am told the BSI stores a long history of fault occurences so if you can remember when you had the issue you might be able to match the codes up :thumb:
True...the diagnostics is excellent and it will show you the mileage reading (odometer) that was recorded at the time of the error.

My car never showed any dashboard lights when I bought it but when interrogated, it was showing three errors 20k miles previously!

David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts