Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran the car for a week or so, then it went dead, and just did a double warble on the key.
It turned out that the battery was down to 8V, so I put a new one in using the advised procedure. All now fine; and the alternator is working.
Obviously, I'd like to find out why the previous battery discharged itself.
When I turn on the ignition now, I get the "economy mode active" message if the car's gone to sleep. I never got this message AT ALL before changing the battery.
Here's the question: is it possible that the economy mode turned itself/was turned off previously (hence the lack of dash message), leading to the old battery discharging itself through systems not being shut down?
And the follow up: does the battery replacement procedure reprogramme the systems to set defaults, including activating the economy mode if previously disabled?
If the answer to both is 'yes', then I may not have to investigate the battery drain. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how old the previous battery is - it looks pretty new, but I have no way of reading the barcode on it.
I take your point though; I was going to swap it out anyway, as it seems to be a cheapish make.
The car's behaving now, so far; but I only swapped batteries yesterday, so it's much too soon to tell...

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Economy mode CANNOT be turned off regardless of what some seem to thing it can be temporarily turned off but will reset once car is restarted.

Cannot explain why you never got it before must have been a glitch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replacement is a brand new Varta 027 size 63Ah thingy.

The battery taken out was not too old as the exact make and model are online today.

Belts are fine, and alternator output is around 14.6.

I read, on these forums I think, that the economy mode can be disabled by some programming procedure.

Good to know the the reboot (re-?)establishes economy mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Windy1603, I'm sorry I don't understand your banter, have no conception of what a parc shunt might be or where on a 'BSI' it's to be found. I'm still trying to locate the distributor rotor...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input.

As the battery is now brand new, the alternator working, and economy mode definitely active, I think I'll just monitor the situation for now.

If the new battery starts draining itself, I'll panic, then consult afresh.

·
6,304 Posts
I know on my old 307 with a brand new Bosch Silver battery eco mode used to take near on 20 mins to activate.

The question on the parc shut was because some models have a showroom mode if set wrong which keeps all systems active so people can play with the toys in the showroom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts