Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Economy mode/Eco mode is peugeots way of restricting power consumption and is one of the most missunderstood messages on Peugeot/Citroen cars so please have a read before posting economy mode threads.

You may be seeing eco mode economy mode active messages on your central display this can come up for various reasons the most common being a low battery its just the car trying to conserve power.

If you get eco mode after listening to radio for 10 mins or so then this is a good indication your battery is getting tired.

Car wont start stuck in eco mode is a very common post this is not correct.

Car is in eco mode BECAUSE its not starting it is NOT the cause it is a symptom of the real issue.

Doing a BSI reset WILL NOT FIX IT.

The only thing that will get the car out of eco mode is getting it started if your window is stuck down you can tow the car in gear with ignition on for a short distance this will switch of eco mode briefly long enough to get window up. reason this works is because the eco mode is switched off when it sees the engine rev signal so although engine is not starting it is turning fast enough to satisfy the electronics that it is running even if its not :)

Eco mode switches of radio windows wipers heater in some cases and a few other things it DOES NOT switch off the engine if your car wont start it IS NOT eco mode that is the issue.

If your car wont start first check should be the beep test please do not go straight to BSI reset as if cars not starting the BSI reset may make things worse !

DO NOT waste time worrying about eco mode its not a problem its your friend.

If anyone wants to add anything else please feel free then we can get a mod to make it a sticky.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you can but point of the post is to make people understand its not an issue and even if you turned off economy mode in older cars if it has an issue IT STILL WONT START :)

I might add the point in that it CANNOT be turned off as there have been some posts including 1 that was convinced his dealer was going to FIX the issue but surprise surprise he never came back to confirm they did NOT :)

·
6,250 Posts
On some models the remote fob will bypass eco mode, if you press and hold lock the windows will close

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you replace the battery and you still have eco mode... what other options are there?
Replacing the battery is not going to get rid of economy mode in a non start situation it NEEDS to start for the BSI to switch off economy mode.

If your question is more if the battery is replaced and you still get economy mode after 10 mins then something is drawing a lot more power than it should be in ideal situation the battery can last 30 mins before economy mode cuts in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
If your question is more if the battery is replaced and you still get economy mode after 10 mins then something is drawing a lot more power than it should be in ideal situation the battery can last 30 mins before economy mode cuts in.
More for the second bit... the car runs and drives just fine. Replaced the battery, I am lucky to get maybe 3-4 minutes before "Economy Mode" appears... and that's after a 60 miles journey on the motorway! - Edit I replaced the battery incase it was the battery at fault, this problem was present before the battery replacement.

If I leave the car overnight, get in, shut the door, eco mode is active before I even turn the key on.

If I disconnect the battery (i.e BSI reset) the car behaves as you would expect it to.... until I do a few short journeys at which point it starts it's usual problems again. :nono:

Still, only got three rattles to fix, the Eco Mode to get around and I would have a perfect car :lol:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Just to add... if your battery is fine, your charging system is fine.... and you still have eco mode showing, it is most likely the BECB which is faulty. The Battery Estimation Charge Board is a little black box attached to the negative terminal on the battery.

It costs about £60-70 for a new one. However using Peugeot Diagbox, if you go into the BSI, you can change the car's computation of battery charge from the far more accurate BECB to a charge estimation in the BSI, which would fix the problem. (Or just switch it off altogether but then you risk a flat battery).

So there you go, a way to fix your car for next to nothing.

·
5,067 Posts
ive stolen that info for my facebook page, hope you dont mind but thats the first ive heard of that.

Ps i will remove it from FB if you wish ?? let me kneo

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its only newer stuff that has the extra bit to go wrong :)
Basically most newer cars have this extra bit to try and control charging better but it seems yet another thing that does not work as well as they hoped :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts