Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I would like an answer for this issue.
2 days ago I was on the motorway driving home, and suddenly a message appeared on my dash board, (Engine Faulty, Check engine) and the AIR CON stopped working, I ignored the message and I kept driving, after 10 miles all my dash board was in red stop car, battery is not charging. I stopped to find out that my driver belt is in pieces. I took my car to a local garage, I was not bother to take it to the dealer. The guy in my local garage fitted the new belt. The car is equipped with eco system, start stop engine, and when I am stationary the engine keeps running.
The blue eco sign in my dash board keeps flashing. I left the engine running for almost 9 hours now, but without luck. Could you please advise. My car is 508, 1.6 diesel engine 2013.
Thanks

·
3,760 Posts
hi...as a start have the battery checked as a failing battery will stop the stop/start system from working also if the climate control hasn't reached the desired temp ,that will also stop the system from working..or in other words the battery needs to be at 100% .hope that helps...

·
3,760 Posts
sorry to ask...did you leave your engine running stationary for 9 hours????

·
Registered
366 Posts
sorry to ask...did you leave your engine running stationary for 9 hours????
I reckon that over the next day or two, if you drive your car 'hard' and at good speeds, with as few electrics on as possible, your battery will recover and your stop/start will be available to you again - the battery needs to have lots of charge for stop/start to work.

However, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I reckon that over the next day or two, if you drive your car 'hard' and at good speeds, with as few electrics on as possible, your battery will recover and your stop/start will be available to you again - the battery needs to have lots of charge for stop/start to work.

However, I could be wrong.
When I got my clutch replaced... the battery was removed and system reset.
It took about 2week of casual driving including a motorway run of over 200km for the start/stop to kick in again.... So I would not be too worried

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No shall I keep the engine running for 9 continuous hours?! Without driving the car.? However I have driven almost 250 miles now in a period of 4 days, and still the system is not activated. The ECO blue light keeps flashing.

·
3,760 Posts
hi...have you tried having the battery tested yet?
.....have you tried driving the car with the aircon off ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually the mechanic who changed the drive belt, did a test and according to him the battery is fine, he told me the battery is charging on 14.70
Which is really good.
Don't know shall I have the battery checked again or shall I keep the engine running for 9 continuous hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am at the garage now, the battery indicated to 14.90, and the gentleman told me it's perfect. So not sure what the issue is.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might be the battery and it needs replacing. But if there was an issue with the battery, it should not start in the morning, should not it. ?!

·
3,760 Posts
all hes measured is the residual voltage from the alternator.....anyway...good luck with your problem ....i hope you get it sorted...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I am at the garage now, the battery indicated to 14.90, and the gentleman told me it's perfect. So not sure what the issue is.....
For voltage to be an indication of the battery status, it needs be left 'at rest' for a couple of hours, no big current in or out.
A fully charged lead-acid battery is about 12.6V at rest

14.9V would be with engine running / alternator charging, and actually a bit high for an ordinary lead-acid battery. Might be OK for some newer plate compositions, but usually the target is 14.4V.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For voltage to be an indication of the battery status, it needs be left 'at rest' for a couple of hours, no big current in or out.
A fully charged lead-acid battery is about 12.6V at rest.
............ Or load test the battery, that will show up any lagging or damaged cells.

Anywho, found this searching for something else so .............. hope you get it sorted :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all. I am back with an answer for this and would like to share what I have been told by Peugeot.
Firstly, on the fifth day, the ECO system started working fine by itself, so I am guessing as advised before by some members, that the battery was not charged in full. Anyway to be a 100% sure that there was nothing wrong with the battery, as the guy from my local garage was advising me to have the battery changed. I decided not to change the battery and instead
I took my car to Peugeot where they did a full diagnostic test for the battery and they kept the car with them overnight, they came back with the following results.
1- The battery is okay and there was nothing wrong with it.
2- they told me there was a bulb that needed changing, and they changed it for me as the car is still under warranty.
So what I learnt from this a full diagnostic test would cost £71, and a new battery would cost me £100 without the fitting. So always consider taking the car to an approved service point, saves you headache and money..

Hope this is useful for everyone.

Regards

·
3,760 Posts
Hi...glad its all sorted ...but right from the first post a few of us pointed at the battery condition/voltage....as you said after a good drive all was well and you still went to a dealer who can physically look at your problem and not try and help via a forum...so thanks for letting us know we were right (all for free)....good luck
ps ...stop start...unnecessary gimmick.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone who took part in this. An important thing happened that made me go to a Peugeot dealer is the fact that the local garage was advising me to have the battery changed as he claimed that the battery is giving wrong battery voltage reading. And the guy in the local garage advised strongly that I have the battery changed.
Thanks again for your help and support

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eco Stop Start

I have a similar problem. The car rarely stops the engine when I stop and select neutral. The green Eco light flashes every time but rarely cuts the engine. Last month the car travelled 2408 miles but only cut the engine on 5 occasions. I have taken the car back to the local dealership several times. They tell me that the battery needs 75% charge to cut out and every time they test my battery it has late 60s% charge. I drive high mileage each month mostly at motorway speed. Therefore, the battery should always be near fully charged. In my opinion it is either a faulty battery, or a faulty alternator which isn't fully charging the battery or the battery is to small. Either way there is a fault which to date the local dealership either cannot resolve or is refusing to resolve. I have been onto Peugeot UK to complain and just received a call from the local dealership who want it back again. I understand from the local dealership they have another 508 with the same on going problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts