Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just approaching 800 miles on my 3008 and only getting 35 mpg.

Now in fairness, the air con has never been off in this hot weather we've been enjoying and as stated only have 800 miles on the clock.

However, 35 seems low so wondered if other 1.2 auto owners had the same return at my mileage.

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are so many variables here. Could be your geographical location, how heavy your right foot is, types of daily drive, vehicle loading, quality of fuel used. Tell us more mate.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mines a 1.2 manual used mainly for daily commute to work ( 8 miles) and back, but I've done the odd longer journey or two. It has 1464 miles on the clock. The MyPeugeot app has my overall mpg since getting the car at a shade over 40.7, my 'trip 2' computer in the car ( not reset over last 800 miles) has it at just over 36 mpg. When I work it out myself by brimming it when I fill and calculating what I've used I get it to about 34mpg. I was hoping for more really.... but the engine is so sweet I'm willing to overlook it!

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK.

About 70/30 split to more motorway driving recently. I'm not heavy footed and stay in the limits.

Using normal unleaded from Tesco.

Mainly just me in it but occasionally wife too with nothing in the boot except Saturday shopping.

I do have air con on all the time.

I expected a bit more mpg by now but it's still early days.

·
Registered
509 Posts
OK.

About 70/30 split to more motorway driving recently. I'm not heavy footed and stay in the limits.

Using normal unleaded from Tesco.

Mainly just me in it but occasionally wife too with nothing in the boot except Saturday shopping.

I do have air con on all the time.

I expected a bit more mpg by now but it's still early days.
My advice would be to try out premium unleaded for a couple of tank fills and then compare the results. You may be pleasantly surprised. I know our Kia GT gets better MPG on premium unleaded which evens out the cost of it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
My 1.2 Auto has now done 2345, Paul but it's only just started getting regular mpg of 45+. I've had the occasional journey over 50mpg but they're mostly in the 40s now. Obviously car isn't as posh as yours but I don't know if the spec makes any difference.

Oh and another thing - I also use normal unleaded from Tesco so it's a pretty accurate comparison

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Probably the most influential aspect is brake pad wear, ie if traffic allows,
moderate speed and minimal use of brakes. The heat from the brakes represents lost energy.
I can get gre at economy because I live in a relatively sparely populated flat area and the motorway doesn't carry much traffic either......engine braking, rather than the brakes, makes a big difference but Europe it's a different matter when it comes to the practical application.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Are you using the app or the on-board computer to measure the consumption, or are you using the figures from the actual petrol you've purchased?

Different engine and fuel I know but my app is giving me a diference of 5 mpg over the real life figures.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I agree with Pauljos1, premium unleaded is well worth the extra cost, and can improve economy by several MPG, as well as enhancing performance. Tesco fuel is cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife has had hers for 2 months now and I have to say we're really, really disappointed with the mpg. She's covered 1600 miles and its only returning 28 MPG!!! Granted we live in wales with plenty of hills and have 2 kids so she's always ferrying them around but 28 MPG is shocking for a 1.2ltr. Even my Nissan 350z (3.5ltr V6) returns 25 mpg. We are seriously looking at sending it back to the dealers to see if there's a problem with it.

Pearl White Gt-line 1.2ltr auto

·
Registered
765 Posts
Turbo cars typically only return good mpg when your not using the turbo much, ie driving like a saint. But for a 1.2 that must be incredibly difficult to achieve especially as you have hills and extra weight involved. So great for mpg in testing circumstances but not so great in real world circumstances.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My wife has had hers for 2 months now and I have to say we're really, really disappointed with the mpg. She's covered 1600 miles and its only returning 28 MPG!!! Granted we live in wales with plenty of hills and have 2 kids so she's always ferrying them around but 28 MPG is shocking for a 1.2ltr. Even my Nissan 350z (3.5ltr V6) returns 25 mpg. We are seriously looking at sending it back to the dealers to see if there's a problem with it.

Do you do the 'kids run' and other shorts trips in the Nissan 3.5ltr V6 in exactly the same way?.
Big capacity engines running hot for long distances will tend to give 4 cylinder economy.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Turbo cars typically only return good mpg when your not using the turbo much, ie driving like a saint. But for a 1.2 that must be incredibly difficult to achieve especially as you have hills and extra weight involved. So great for mpg in testing circumstances but not so great in real world circumstances.
My lighter 308 version gave me exactly 5L/100km (fill to fill) driving 1010kms through the snowy mountains ranges which involved climbs to 6500ft and steep twist climbs and descents involving 2gear screaming descents and 2/3 gear climbs numerous times interspersed with economical type driving also.
The braking is the killer though.

·
Administrator
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

As stated earlier, I'm get 35 with only half mileage covered.

Wouldn't hurt to take it in for a check or maybe ring your local service dept and discuss it with them first.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My guess is with the 1.2 you will always want to be in the turbo band as it's quite a big lump to be moving on a 1.2 out of the power band.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My guess is with the 1.2 you will always want to be in the turbo band as it's quite a big lump to be moving on a 1.2 out of the power band.
The torque curve is exactly the same as a diesel with max torque from just 1750rpm Paul.
Drive it like a diesel, in the 1500-2000 and you get remarkable economy, particularly if you can maintain momentum.
However the sport button is addictive :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,

Just approaching 800 miles on my 3008 and only getting 35 mpg.

Now in fairness, the air con has never been off in this hot weather we've been enjoying and as stated only have 800 miles on the clock.

However, 35 seems low so wondered if other 1.2 auto owners had the same return at my mileage.
I've covered 780 miles in my Allure 1.2 auto and averaging 44 mpg. Most of the mileage has been on motorways - a lot on the M6 where there are quite a few miles of 50 mph limit. I have, however, carried out far more urban journeys than normal in the month I have it. The distance I have travelled also includes country lanes and A roads. Like you, I have not turned the A/C off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts