Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks do any of you service your pugs yourselves or its not worth the hassle rather pay 170 eur for full service to a mechanic/dealer ?

If DYI is an option what all things do you need to change ?

Cheers

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Previously I have never had to do a diagnostic test on any of my vehicles.
I have never wanted a state of the art car in South Africa because as soon as you buy an expensive car, you becomes a target for hi-jackers.
I have also had more bad experiences with garages than good therefor I try my best to avoid taking my car to a garage.
The first thing I have always done when buying a car is purchase a workshop manual & therefore rarely needed additional help apart from a second person to assist me.

With my pug 207 which I have just bought, I think I will be doing minor services myself but will be taking a big step back when it comes to doing diagnostic tests & tuning a vehicle with a computer untill I have managed to get a lexia3 & studied how to do the tests & tuning properly.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Folks do any of you service your pugs yourselves or its not worth the hassle rather pay 170 eur for full service to a mechanic/dealer ?

If DYI is an option what all things do you need to change ?

Cheers

I can have my car serviced for about £55 over here, that includes a full oil and filter change, top ups where needed, and a 54 point check. If I was to buy the fluids and filter myself, I wouldn't be saving much against paying the mechanic. So, it could come down to a matter of time, or if you have the desire to do it all yourself.

I service the car yearly, with an oil change at 6 months intervals.

If you have a copy of Haynes, the service intervals are listed in there. Or, I can grab you a copy of the information.

A full service covers visual inspections of certain components (eg. CV boots), as well as functioning (eg. clutch engagement). If you're unsure what you're looking for or what is deemed as serviceable, some things may be missed, which an experienced mechanic might spot.

Conversely, you may spot something that a mechanic could overlook.

IMHO I believe it's better to get in and have a look around yourself, even if you have a mechanic do the work too. And it's even more important to do the frequent visual checks (fluid levels, signs of leakage etc), if not weekly, then almost fortnightly. Keeping on top of the little maintenance jobs goes a long way to keeping the car on the road.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
With my pug 207 which I have just bought, I think I will be doing minor services myself but will be taking a big step back when it comes to doing diagnostic tests & tuning a vehicle with a computer untill I have managed to get a lexia3 & studied how to do the tests & tuning properly.
You'll be able to do the diagnostics and testing, but tuning isn't possible using the PP2000/Diagbox software.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
You'll be able to do the diagnostics and testing, but tuning isn't possible using the PP2000/Diagbox software.
To be fair, what is often meant by tuning (adjustments to ensure correct running, as opposed to increasing performance) is automatic on modern cars. There are no timing, idle mixture, or similar, adjustments - they are all performed by the engine ECU. Distributor timing and points, balancing carburettors - all history.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can have my car serviced for about £55 over here, that includes a full oil and filter change, top ups where needed, and a 54 point check. If I was to buy the fluids and filter myself, I wouldn't be saving much against paying the mechanic. So, it could come down to a matter of time, or if you have the desire to do it all yourself.

If you have a copy of Haynes, the service intervals are listed in there. Or, I can grab you a copy of the information.

A full service covers visual inspections of certain components (eg. CV boots), as well as functioning (eg. clutch engagement). If you're unsure what you're looking for or what is deemed as serviceable, some things may be missed, which an experienced mechanic might spot.

IMHO I believe it's better to get in and have a look around yourself, even if you have a mechanic do the work too. And it's even more important to do the frequent visual checks (fluid levels, signs of leakage etc), if not weekly, then almost fortnightly. Keeping on top of the little maintenance jobs goes a long way to keeping the car on the road.
Its costly here down south ireland...175 for full check top ups fluid changes and filter changes...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you checked anything like groupon? Over here there are usually some pretty good deals, you just need to make sure the garage have a decent reputation
Yeah we also have good deals...will check that...

·
2,506 Posts
Hi..That price doesnt sound too dear...and it may be a good idea to get to know that garage should you need something more difficult to deal with....For me there was nothing worse that a customer who has tinkerd with there car then come to me to rectify a fault they created by not doing it properly....but these days there are forums like this that can walk you through any problem and help and of course youtube....:thumb:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi..That price doesnt sound too dear...and it may be a good idea to get to know that garage should you need something more difficult to deal with....For me there was nothing worse that a customer who has tinkerd with there car then come to me to rectify a fault they created by not doing it properly....but these days there are forums like this that can walk you through any problem and help and of course youtube....:thumb:
I can clearly understand your frustration but on the other side, what really turns my cogs is taking my car to a mechanic, he then charges you a fortune & gives you your car back in a worse condition than what he received it in. I used to know mechanics that took pride in their work but in South Africa that seems to be a thing of the past.
One thing I have noticed is that I might have to pack most of my tools away as they are starting to fall into the antique category.

I have ordered my workshop manual about two weeks ago & it can take anything between two & six weeks to arrive. (Hopefully it will be here soon).

Thanks to Ian I have seen I need to take a step back in giving people advise.
I am definitely going to be missing the old webber carbs.

If the Pug doesn't have a distributor, that means it doesn't have spark plugs.
If it doesn't have spark plugs, how is the fuel ignited?

·
2,506 Posts
Hi...the workshop manual will reveal all....the car now has an ecu to control the spark...distributors and points /dwell angles are all history now...shame tho

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can clearly understand your frustration but on the other side, what really turns my cogs is taking my car to a mechanic, he then charges you a fortune & gives you your car back in a worse condition than what he received it in. I used to know mechanics that took pride in their work but in South Africa that seems to be a thing of the past.
One thing I have noticed is that I might have to pack most of my tools away as they are starting to fall into the antique category.

I have ordered my workshop manual about two weeks ago & it can take anything between two & six weeks to arrive. (Hopefully it will be here soon).

Thanks to Ian I have seen I need to take a step back in giving people advise.
I am definitely going to be missing the old webber carbs.

It has 5 spark plugs afaik...

·
2,506 Posts
Hi...Ive found ecu's to be very reliable but when the problems start you need to have the faults read by another computer...but then they will only indicate where the fault is and not how to fix....that is done by experience,or ask on this forum,,some members have had more experience that most and their advise is free...:thumb:
Regular oil changes and filter changes will help and I like to remove any sensor for a clean every year,but then Ive only had diesels since 1989.:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I have soft copy of Haynes manual...

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The engine ECU knows the engine position from the crank sensor, and it works out the timing from that, and calculates the advance/retard according to the other sensors. It then sends spark signals to the coil pack, which has a separate coil for each spark plug.

·
Registered
102 Posts
DIY Option

I tend to do all that is possible in keeping my cars on the road,
I have pp2000 for the 206,and basic tools for my MGB GT 78 model, which has never been into a garage in my 11 years of ownership(except for mot and head skimmed) but apart from that it runs sweetly and I get to play with it in the summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lads are the oil suction pumps of any use to change oil or old fashioned way is the best from sump ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts