Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a problem with my Pug306 1.9D. I replaced the alternator belt (6PK1750) as my previous one was worn and was jumping teeth on the PS pully and eventually shredded.

I have the same problems with the new belt.
please see the attached pictures.

It looks like the pully is not aligned when i look from above / below and the only way i can see to adjust it is to move it on the mounting bolts.

is this the correct way to do it or do i have it all wrong?
thankyou

Attachments

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
This is usually caused by the tensioner sitting squint under load and it is pushing the belt off or the power steering pump is worn and the shaft can move in and out both are possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Reliable, Thankyou.
I did try moving the PS pulley back and forth and couldn't feel any play in it.
How can I test the tensioner?
What would you suggest I replace first?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Its not the tensioner pulley itself that causes the issue its the bracket behind it goes squint but looking at yours it does look ok

Other possibility is crank pulley is breaking up depending on what 1 you have they are 2 pieces of metal joined with rubber and the rubber fails but it usually falls clean off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a

Hi, thankyou ill check that tonight. what do you think of the PS pulley - it looks like its sticking out about 6mm more than it should be.
should i move it back using spacers on the bolts or get a new one?

·
Registered
901 Posts
OP, how long have you had this car? has the power steering pump ever been removed?
The reason I`m asking is look at your first images, image 3 is the best.
The pump fixing bolt showing a lot of thread should I think have a spacer between the pump and the bracket. that would bring the pump back to the rear bracket where there is a bolt missing.
What do you think reliable406?

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
I was thinking the same it may well be the wrong pump as we dont know how long it has been this way but it would need more than 1 spacer as all the mounts would be wrong in that case.

I think that is the answer though the pump has been off and either replaced with wrong 1 or badly fitted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

HI, I have had the car about a year, I know the previous owner swapped the PS pump due to a fault. its always worked fine but i've had to put the belt back on the pulley a couple of times since owning it..

I'm thinking of a spacer too.
- ive looked at a lot of images of fitted pumps and they all are flush with the mounting bracket when being screwed in.
Can I make a spacer out of a piece of steel to put it back in alignment? if getting a different pump is the best option I would rather do that.

thankyou

·
Registered
901 Posts
I was thinking the same it may well be the wrong pump as we dont know how long it has been this way but it would need more than 1 spacer as all the mounts would be wrong in that case.

I think that is the answer though the pump has been off and either replaced with wrong 1 or badly fitted.
Every XU/DW PAS pump I`ve ever removed has had a selection of spacers with the fitting bolts.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
Had a look at a petrol engine in the workshop and your pump is in the wrong position no doubt about it this one has a cast part on the front mount which makes it sit further back and the rear bolt missing in yours has a sliding sleeve to take up slack.

Use a few washers to space it back further and fit the rear bolt in to stop it rocking

1 - 15 of 15 Posts