Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all.
I'm looking for some clarification about a noise that has recently decided to make an appearance on my 307 SW.

There is a dull kind of ticking noise coming from the O/S of the car (i think it's the back but not 100% - recent illness has my hearing to pot) it's more noticeable at 30-40mph+. It's definitely related to something rotating as the noise is very consistent.

There is no vibration through the steering wheel, although very minor vibration can be felt through the accelerator and floor of the vehicle when driving at speed... I was inclined to suspect a wheel bearing, but have over-googled the issue and made myself paranoid about driveshaft/CV and tie rod end issues!!

Anyone who can point me in the right direction (given my poor explanation) it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Dom - Paranoid peugeot owner :)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I would firstly check the wheel bolts for tightness and then look at the tyres in case a stone or something is wedged in the tread, also check the tyres for bulges or any other damage. There are no CV joints on the rear of course.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.
I've started with the simple bits.

All wheel bolts loosened off, and retightened with torque wrench to the correct levels as per my Haynes manual (85Nm) Whilst the vibration is less pronounced, there is still a noise at 40+.

There are no bulges or visible damage to the tyres.
Checking turning left and right, there is no change in the noise volume or speed.
I'm frustrating myself that I can't tie down where the noise is actually coming from though :(

I think the next step for me is to get the Pug jacked up this afternoon, and do a physical inspection of the hubs, CV joints etc etc.

If all else fails, i think i'm just going to have to bite the bullet and take it to the local garage... but I'll be cheesed off if it's just a bearing :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pr1vate, noise is constant whether turning or not. (part or full lock - no difference) That is what's been leading me to think it's not CV related... but i'm in no way an expert to these things.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi Pr1vate, noise is constant whether turning or not. (part or full lock - no difference) That is what's been leading me to think it's not CV related... but i'm in no way an expert to these things.
i was just thinking a wheel bearing but the noise would have changed when turning. Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries Pr1vate, all help appreciated!
I was initially thinking it could be a rear bearing, but because my ears are playing up I can't tell whether the noise is front or rear! Hence not being able to tie it down, I'm just gonna jack it up and do a full inspection by hand.

·
5,894 Posts
What engine if 1.4 or 1.6 hdi then injector seals can leak which can sound like a ticking noise. Even had a car which the noise came from the part no label on the drive shaft starting to lift and rubbing on body

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right then.
Checked the front and back wheels and associated gubbins.
There is nothing lose, slack, leaking or broken.
Only thing I did notice was that when rotating the drive shafts I was getting a "click" from the gearbox - I hope this is normal!!

Only other thing I found was that the rear offside suspension was making a noise when I was testing it (pushing using all my bodyweight onto it) kind of a creak. Other than that though - nothing is jumping out at me...

As always gents, any advice greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts