Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered why I couldn't warm up in the car this winter. I've noticed that the right side and left side air temperature in the car are waaaay out. Right side is always colder than the left, as you can see in the photo. (this is a right hand drive car)

For the test, the temperature was set to 23deg, mono ON The dealer has looked at it today and diagnosed a sunlight sensor failure. I may be completely wrong, but this doesn't sound correct. Automatic headlights and dashboard all work perfectly. I'm more inclined to think that it is a stuck vent motor or solenoid or similar that is preventing the warm air on the right side from mixing correctly.. There is the same volume of air coming from all four front vents, and if I use the fan to increase air velocity, they all work fine. So it's not fan operation.

The result is the same if I set the left and right side temperatures to different values. The right side does not warm up as much as the left side.

Curiously, If I add the 4 values and divide by 4, I get 22.5deg. Please don't tell me this is how it's supposed to work.

Does anyone have any ideas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seems strange and annoying, but I’ve found this information on internet.

The blend door accutator, also known as the temperature blend door actuator or vent mode door actuator, can break or malfunction over time. A blend door actuator is faulty if the HVAC control module commands it to a certain position but it fails to comply, leading to situations like the temp blowing hotter or colder than its intended setting. A faulty blend door actuator can be identified with an advanced scan tool and sometimes makes a clicking noise from worn or broken internal parts.

On your photos I’ve noticed that you were using air con. Are symptoms same when aircon is turned off but blower is on? And have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes?

Link to article: Car AC Blows Cold on One Side and Hot on the Other - Diagnose and Fix

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems strange and annoying, but I’ve found this information on internet.

The blend door accutator, also known as the temperature blend door actuator or vent mode door actuator, can break or malfunction over time. A blend door actuator is faulty if the HVAC control module commands it to a certain position but it fails to comply, leading to situations like the temp blowing hotter or colder than its intended setting. A faulty blend door actuator can be identified with an advanced scan tool and sometimes makes a clicking noise from worn or broken internal parts.

On your photos I’ve noticed that you were using air con. Are symptoms same when aircon is turned off but blower is on? And have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes?

Link to article: Car AC Blows Cold on One Side and Hot on the Other - Diagnose and Fix
The blend door actuator is more in keeping with what I would expect to be the problem.

I've only tried it with the aircon on. Not sure if turning it off will prove anything as I suspect that there would be no temperature control just with the fans running. As for disconnecting the battery, no I haven't tried that and was skeptical about the suggestion until I read your link. It's worth a try.

In the meantime, the dealer is convinced that the sunlight sensor is the culprit, so they are going to replace it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For sure, have them replace it. But once they hand over the car, obviously ask them have they tested out temperatures and were there any fluctuations, then you test it out on their premises with that handy tool you had there for measuring temps. 😊
Definitely keep us posted 🙌🏻

·
Registered
22 Posts
For this part
For this part “there would be no temperature control just with the fans running”, there will be trust me. I don’t use air con that often here in Ireland, maybe once a week for 30 minutes only. Car recognizes outside temp and even without the air con it will adjust whether it will blow outside air cold or warm it up.

Let me give you an example, two days ago it was showing outside 28°C so it was hot and sunny. Air con was off, temp set to 20°C. It was blowing cooler air than it was outside. Last night, it was 10°C, air con off, temp set to 20°C and it was warming up the cabin and the air was very warm coming out.
Hope this makes sense 😊

·
Registered
e2008 GT Line
273 Posts
AC does not control the temperature given as such. Using AC is like a coil which freezes to cool the air coming through, but when you use it with hot air, it can also dehumidify the air coming in, reducing the front window screen from being fogged up as it takes moisture out the air before hand. If you didn't use AC, moisture can build up inside the car when heating the car in winter and in the summer you will not get as much cold air because it will just be like a conventional fan trying to cool the air.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For this part
For this part “there would be no temperature control just with the fans running”, there will be trust me. I don’t use air con that often here in Ireland, maybe once a week for 30 minutes only. Car recognizes outside temp and even without the air con it will adjust whether it will blow outside air cold or warm it up.

Let me give you an example, two days ago it was showing outside 28°C so it was hot and sunny. Air con was off, temp set to 20°C. It was blowing cooler air than it was outside. Last night, it was 10°C, air con off, temp set to 20°C and it was warming up the cabin and the air was very warm coming out.
Hope this makes sense 😊
I'll give that a try, but the condensation will be an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts