Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, more trouble. Can somebody explain the noise of a naff dmf please and a timing belt tensioner. I have one or the other going. Getting a dry squeal and rattle on start-up, gear change and switch off, also comes on over run if revving at standstill, Brad

J

·
0 Posts
Knackered DMF rattles like a bag of bolts!
Will do it on idle, but give it a slight rev increase and it will stop.... mine did anyway

·
Registered
77 Posts
Knackered DMF rattles like a bag of bolts!
Will do it on idle, but give it a slight rev increase and it will stop.... mine did anyway
Same for me, I had some vibration through the car also when you held the clutch.

It sounds awful, way different to any sort of bottom end or gearbox noise.

Eventually my clutch release bearing collar collapsed and the clutch wouldn't fully disengage.

Ben

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
dmf

Thanks guys,
my noise goes on lifting the revs jmkent but returns as you drop them again. Pretty sure now it is the flywheel as got it confirmed at our indy. He is quoting £800 fitted and eurocarparts can supply parts delivered at £418, local parts man at £523.87, both valeo. Spanners are getting dirty again by the look of it.

D

·
0 Posts
Thanks guys,
my noise goes on lifting the revs jmkent but returns as you drop them again. Pretty sure now it is the flywheel as got it confirmed at our indy. He is quoting £800 fitted and eurocarparts can supply parts delivered at £418, local parts man at £523.87, both valeo. Spanners are getting dirty again by the look of it.
Fit a clutch kit and flywheel off a Peugeot Expert 1.6hdi. It is a solid flywheel conversion kit. No more DMF problems. £££ cheaper also.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dmf

That definitely sounds loose. See why they rattle. On the solid flywheel I can see why you would fit one but ive heard they can cause transmission failures due to insufficient damping. Question is if you have decided to keep the car would it be false economy. Has anyone had this conversion for long enough to tell if it was trouble free I wonder.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
dmf

Me again,
how comes though the expert doesn't suffer the transmission probs; is their gearbox substantially stronger? Food for thought; or has their 1.6 a stronger crankshaft or different engine mapping.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ive not seen or heard of anyone fitting a solid flywheel as yet so id stay clear of them personally. Besides the 407s DMF doesnt really seem to be that problematic compared to other marques. I think mine lasted 145k with 100k being more the norm

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
dmf/solid

Hi sebasteeno, I tend to agree with you on this flywheel issue. I can get parts for £418, £168 more than solid, but in a few weeks the pain will ease. Time will tell if solid was best. Think its OE this time round though. Many thanks to you all for your replies to my original question, very interesting reading. Now for the painful bit.

D

·
0 Posts
Ive not seen or heard of anyone fitting a solid flywheel as yet so id stay clear of them personally. Besides the 407s DMF doesnt really seem to be that problematic compared to other marques. I think mine lasted 145k with 100k being more the norm
Solid flywheel conversions are good enough for me. Peugeot ireland sell a kit to convert. Its a clutch kit and fly wheel off an Expert.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dmf

Hi David, I like the idea of a simplified clutch and maybe a longer life span to go with it, not to mention its cheaper. My main concern is this vibration issue. I haven't checked but would think the expert engine is a lower power version of the 1.6 and thats the reason it can use the solid flywheel. I am not a lover of all this progress thats being made for us, so simplicity is where im at. Now we intend to drive this car to Turkey shortly and give priority to reliability, I am not confident which system is going to be the best in this respect. Sebasteeno has got 145,000 from a dmf, mine on ther other hand is going at 64,000 so I am 50/50 which to replace it with. With no definite evidence of longevity to help the choice. I must say I am on the fence here just looking at OE because peugeot thought it best, I dont think I know better, wish this choice was easier because once fitted Im not taking it out again. I am some days away from having to make the decision so will keep digging. I would listen intently to anything else you can add on this issue. :confused: Brad

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I fitted the Peugeot solid flywhell to my 1.6 hdi 307, ( first DMF failed at 70k second one a sachs at 96 and i have drive diesels all my life and never had replace clutch in 25 years !) car iles much better and has a lighter pedal. Only draw back is you need to drive about 200 rpm higher, doesnt pull quite so well from very low rpm(bit lumpy up to about 1500.but after a week you dont notice. No difference to MPG

J

·
0 Posts
I think Seb's @ 145k is probably a rare one to last that long. Had mine done at a little shy of 80k, and at the time, after reading around 60-70k seemed about normal.
Seb hasn't owned the car for all those miles, so it could be on its third now??

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think Seb's @ 145k is probably a rare one to last that long. Had mine done at a little shy of 80k, and at the time, after reading around 60-70k seemed about normal.
Seb hasn't owned the car for all those miles, so it could be on its third now??
This is true and i cant guaranteee it has lasted 145k just that my car has plenty of old paperwork detailing lots of maintanence but nothing listed for a DMF/Clutch change which makes me believe it possibly could of lasted as long.

It has been replaced with OE stuff.

J

·
0 Posts
It may well have done better than the norm :thumb: .... my 306 was still on the same clutch at 190k, albeit it didn't have a DMF :nono:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine lasted 123k miles on a single owner (company car)

It was really rattly and vibrating a bit on the biting point by the end.

If it's only just starting to go you could try and eek some more miles out of it.

I paid £400 for the DMF/clutch kit from Peugeot. The OEM parts had the Sachs logo on so could have saved another £30 by using my local motor factors.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Mine lasted 123k miles on a single owner (company car)

It was really rattly and vibrating a bit on the biting point by the end.

If it's only just starting to go you could try and eek some more miles out of it.

I paid £400 for the DMF/clutch kit from Peugeot. The OEM parts had the Sachs logo on so could have saved another £30 by using my local motor factors.
Or flog it whilst you can. ;)

J

·
0 Posts
I fitted solid flywheel. It worked wonders, and cost £200 for kit, and £120 to fit.

Was a much better ride after too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts