Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone help please? I have a Peugeot 407 SW 2.0 l HDI 135. 2005. If I accelerate hard it goes into limp mode and the engine becomes extremely noisy, it sets the Engine light with the codes P0088 and P1165. If you reset the light clearing the codes It runs fine again until you accelerate hard (full throttle) when it again sets the codes, etc. The fuel filter has been replaced, as has the fuel pressure sensor and fuel pressure regulator. Fuel lines are also all clear. I have monitored the problem live in PP2000/Diagbox and it can be seen that the fuel pressure peaks just above the maximum reference value just as it goes into limp mode and sets the codes. It would therefore appear that high pressure is the problem, but I am struggling to understand what else could be causing it. I wondered if anyone had any ideas, or if anyone has experience and previously cured a similar fault? Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can we get descriptions for the codes?

I'm getting
P0088 Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too High

and I can't find anything for
P1165
Yes. P1165 is ?Fuel Pressure signal. Pressure change coherence.?

Both codes relate to fuel pressure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes the same fault over a year ago, but no resolution posted for that one.
I had the same faults over a year ago cleared them with a code reader every time they came on. Did a run down to spain using the plus diesel and on the way back the faults stopped. been fault free last 6 months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the same fault over a year ago, but no resolution posted for that one.
I had the same faults over a year ago cleared them with a code reader every time they came on. Did a run down to spain using the plus diesel and on the way back the faults stopped. been fault free last 6 months.
That?s interesting. Thanks for that I will investigate further.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have replaced the fuel pressure sensor (I didn?t replace it originally someone else has apparently done so; it looked newish, but after investigating further it was probably at least 5 years old, so I replaced it myself). With the new sensor on the symptoms remain exactly the same (under HARD full throttle acceleration it goes into limp mode, the engine rattled loudly and the engine light comes on). You can clear the codes and the engine runs fine again for as long as you like until you accelerate hard again and then it immediately fails again. However, now the codes that are set are different! It still sets P0088 (high fuel pressure), but now instead of P1165, it sets P0193; fuel pressure circuit A high input. I therefore checked the condition of the wiring and cleaned the connectors with electrical contact cleaner, but without success. Anyone have any ideas please?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello Colin with your PP go into fuel pressure data block ....look at it at idle and slowly rev the engine and look at fuel pressure ....does actual stay close to the desired or is it wandering around a bit .

Most common for excessive fuel pressure is the inlet metering valve or sometimes called volume control valve , it sits on the high pressure fuel pump .
Is the high pressure fuel pump on the end of the cylinder head ? Or is it up near the cam belt end ?

The inlet metering valve (imv) is a barrel shaped device with a 2 pin electrical plug on it , it controls the amount of fuel being let into the high pressure chamber , this can go faulty and allow over or under fuel delivery causing high or low pressure fault codes . On some of the high pressure pumps there is another device called third piston cut out so don’t get confused with this , without me seeing the system I’m not sure what we are working with cp1 , cp2 , cp3 ...Delphi , Siemens ....

Also any air getting into the low pressure side .....so feed pipe from tank , fuel filter area , feed from fuel filter to high pressure pump can cause high or low pressure codes , but generally air ingress causes bad starting ....cranking for a long time before start up or idle wandering a lot on first start up .

Injectors excessively spilling can cause pressure codes but generally you get ‘fuel pressure to low codes ‘ with that scenario

No guess work here ....test , rule out , move on to next test
Lee

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello Colin with your PP go into fuel pressure data block ....look at it at idle and slowly rev the engine and look at fuel pressure ....does actual stay close to the desired or is it wandering around a bit .
Hi Lee,

it stays very close to the expected at all times unless you drive the car under hard acceleration then, when it fails (engine light comes on etc.) at that point the pressure jumps noticeably above the expected pressure.

Most common for excessive fuel pressure is the inlet metering valve or sometimes called volume control valve , it sits on the high pressure fuel pump .
Is the high pressure fuel pump on the end of the cylinder head ? Or is it up near the cam belt end ?
Its on the right hand end (looking from the from) of the cylinderhead. Is this the valve some also refer to as the suction control valve, which controls pump pressure output by limiting pressure on the inlet side of the pump? Ive heard these are a common problem. Is there a way to test this component?

The inlet metering valve (imv) is a barrel shaped device with a 2 pin electrical plug on it , it controls the amount of fuel being let into the high pressure chamber , this can go faulty and allow over or under fuel delivery causing high or low pressure fault codes . On some of the high pressure pumps there is another device called third piston cut out so don?t get confused with this , without me seeing the system I?m not sure what we are working with cp1 , cp2 , cp3 ...Delphi , Siemens ....
Is there an easy way to identify which it is?

Also any air getting into the low pressure side .....so feed pipe from tank , fuel filter area , feed from fuel filter to high pressure pump can cause high or low pressure codes , but generally air ingress causes bad starting ....cranking for a long time before start up or idle wandering a lot on first start up .
Im confident there are no air leaks on the low pressure side and it starts without much cranking.

Injectors excessively spilling can cause pressure codes but generally you get ?fuel pressure to low codes ? with that scenario
How would you check for this?

No guess work here ....test , rule out , move on to next test
Lee
Thats the way i would prefer to deal with it. But information seems hard to come by.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

The inlet metering valve (imv) is a barrel shaped device with a 2 pin electrical plug on it , it controls the amount of fuel being let into the high pressure chamber , this can go faulty and allow over or under fuel delivery causing high or low pressure fault codes . On some of the high pressure pumps there is another device called third piston cut out so don?t get confused with this , without me seeing the system I?m not sure what we are working with cp1 , cp2 , cp3 ...Delphi , Siemens ....
Hi Lee,

When I looked at the pump I could see only the pressure regulator valve. Is the other valve you mention out of sight; is it necessary to remove the pump to see it/replace it? Thanks

Colin

·
Registered
131 Posts
If the pump is at the end of the cylinder head iirc it will not have the 3 rd piston deactivation , yes the imv is sometimes called suction control valve aswell

I test them with a 4 Channel pico scope on duty cycle and another channel on rail pressure sensor and a channel on imv amps draw ,you would be looking at commanded duty against actual rail pressure and how much amps driving it .
Obviously without the correct gear to test items properly you are playing guess a part somewhat but imv’s are pretty favourite for rail pressure over desired level codes .
Also check the fuel return pipe back to tank should be checked for any restrictions....it should blow through easily .

I think we can leave injector spills for now as in nearly all cases I’ve seen excessive spill will give low rail pressure codes , but if your interested just google injector spill testing ....loads of stuff on U tube on the subject .

The imv is replaceable in situ , it’s a bit fiddly I did one the other week on a Citroen c5 2l hdi , took about 30 mins it helps to have magnetic Allen key or torx key tools , make sure you are bottomed out in the fasteners , they tend to be very shallow and easily rounded off and if this happens you will have end up taking the pump off .

Get yourself a decent branded part ..,. Delphi / Bosch unit , there is a lot of ‘ting tong ‘ parts out there , a good one will be around £80 .
Let us know how you get on .
Lee

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the pump is at the end of the cylinder head iirc it will not have the 3 rd piston deactivation , yes the imv is sometimes called suction control valve aswell

I test them with a 4 Channel pico scope on duty cycle and another channel on rail pressure sensor and a channel on imv amps draw ,you would be looking at commanded duty against actual rail pressure and how much amps driving it .
Obviously without the correct gear to test items properly you are playing guess a part somewhat but imv’s are pretty favourite for rail pressure over desired level codes .
Also check the fuel return pipe back to tank should be checked for any restrictions....it should blow through easily .

I think we can leave injector spills for now as in nearly all cases I’ve seen excessive spill will give low rail pressure codes , but if your interested just google injector spill testing ....loads of stuff on U tube on the subject .

The imv is replaceable in situ , it’s a bit fiddly I did one the other week on a Citroen c5 2l hdi , took about 30 mins it helps to have magnetic Allen key or torx key tools , make sure you are bottomed out in the fasteners , they tend to be very shallow and easily rounded off and if this happens you will have end up taking the pump off .

Get yourself a decent branded part ..,. Delphi / Bosch unit , there is a lot of ‘ting tong ‘ parts out there , a good one will be around £80 .
Let us know how you get on .
Lee
Thanks Lee. I do have an 8 channel scope, so I could check it, but the pressure seems to be OK until you drive it and accelerate hard with full throttle, I would have to be doing that whilst trying to watch the oscilloscope which could be a bit difficult! I think I may therefore just try replacing the valve and see how that goes! ?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes I think in this case it may have to be an educated guess at the imv ,with pp you could log rail pressure , imv duty actual and desired , but with logging it does not always show a picture like the scope can .
Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes like most of the post they never answer what the fault was or they sold the car, sad cuz i really want to know whats wrong with my car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I have a 307 2.0l hdi 'rhr' with same over pressure codes.
It all started when I removed the fuel sender to check as the wife ran out of fuel seconds after the fuel light came on.
Many theorys to what may have happened but this is what I have done so far.
1: replace fuel filter and cleanout SCV or IMV. No good.
2: replace IMV with known good unit. No good
3: replace the fuel rail pressure sensor. No good
4: replace the whole h/pressure pump assy with known good unit. Good for 40k then faulted again.
5: remove all return lines and blow out. No good.

In my case the fault happens at idle, after a little time the pressure will rise (you can hear the motor change pitch) and when it rises above 200 from target value it throws the code and defaults to max pressure.

Im going home to try a fuel cleaning product in the system. Hopeful but doubt it.

Any other ideas maybe?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I used to have a similar problem, if I floored it in 1st gear to redline, then when I let off, I would get a "Engine repair needed" fault. Car would run perfectly otherwise though. Max fuel pressure. I started using Archoil AR6900-D diesel treatment and I haven't noticed the problem recently.

What I did discover through my research, the injectors are known to clog up. If you need a one shot cleaner, BASF Keropur-D is the one to go for. The crappy ones like redex DO NOT work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks,
That is my next step to flush the tank and put best quality diesel in.
I tried a fortron diesel injector clean, its an independant pressure tank recirculates the cleaning product. With no grace, its become very hard to start now cranking for up to 30secs before kicking.
(I know thats an air thing but there is no air entering the pump through the clear feed line). And it has been bled up properly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts