Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change rear drop links to be on the safe side, having fronts done over weekend.

I have been looking on eBay ,do I go for the cheap ones or is there much difference in quality. Any one had any of eBay that are a good quality, don't want to end up replacing again after 6 month.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
If you are looking at buying off ebay try to find some where the seller mentions the name of the manufacturer. Google the item for a review to see what others are saying about them.

I was looking at timing belt kits and came across one where the belt manufacturer was Dayco and the water pump manufacturer was Vetech. I've never heard of them so I googled and it seems both names are highly regarded.

C

·
0 Posts
Going to change rear drop links to be on the safe side, having fronts done over weekend.

I have been looking on eBay ,do I go for the cheap ones or is there much difference in quality. Any one had any of eBay that are a good quality, don't want to end up replacing again after 6 month.
I have had cheap ones off eBay b4 and never found any real issue they perform well etc although in saying that they are cheap enough from the likes of eurocarparts or their sister site carparts4less

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update,

Fitted drivers side front on Friday ,what a difference no more knocking.

Did not no if it was lower ball joint but the drop link did the job.

Also today tried to change n/s front had lots of trouble fitting could not

Get the top part to locate in the shock absorber hole, tried lowering hub and

Highering tried knocking it in but Broke coller on drop link.

Ended up putting old one back in with difficulty, but seems ok.

What am I doing wrong.

I changed the 2 rear drop links no problem, threads rusty but got there in the end.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Might be hard to get the drop-links in at the front if the strut moves when you take out the old one.

I chopped the long bolt off the old drop link and ground it sharp.

So now I just locate the strut hole approx in the drop link hole and knock the sharp old bolt in from the other side, then I just knock the new drop link in from the correct side while the old one already have lined it all up, and comes out when the new one is knocked in.

Seem to work quite good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you you knock new drop link in with out damaging it.

I knocked my new one in by the coller but broke of drop link.

Also pulled old one out and put drift in but damaged the torx on shaft

Trying to move strut up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Did you disconnect the lower bolt between the lower wishbone and the bottom of the hub?

Then you are able to pull the hub assembly downwards, should make it easier to line up the holed.

I don't need to use much force when knocking it in, just some gentle taps with the rubber hammer.
I've got lowering springs on now though, so I remember I needed to loosen the lower wishbone bolt to be able to pull the hub down when on orginal springs.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Never had any problem lining them up in the past - usually car is on axle stand then the trolley jack under the hub to raise/lower to get correct height, wiggle a bit and its in.

I've used cheap ebay ones in past, motor factor ones etc and theyve been ok but the last set I used were MEYLE HD ones. Very good quality with oversized ball joints, and a 4 year warranty.

Not as cheap - Think I paid £30 the pair on ebay from a motorfactors in leeds but fit and forget!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
307 ones are a completely different design.

On the 407 the drop link is used as the main bolt to fasten the strut to the hub assembly.
Hence more hassle than changing the 307 ones :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
307 ones are a completely different design.

On the 407 the drop link is used as the main bolt to fasten the strut to the hub assembly.
Hence more hassle than changing the 307 ones :)

My mistake, but my point on the quality of MEYLE HD replacements still stands.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Indeed, I think the point stands that the quality of the boot is important.

On the 406 I had some eBay ones that came in Contitech boxes and they were rubbish. The rubber boots were quite tight. The ones I got to replace them had much bigger boots with an extra pleat in them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
ive brought crap ones in the past, the self locking nut got tight then seemed to go round and round. so i used another nut to be sure. wasnt risking it using such a cheap part

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drivers side drop link

Just an update of about 1yr, my 407 went for mot yesterday passed, but ad advisery on O/S front drop link which I replaced with eBay quality 1yr ago.

The rubbers completly rotted on bottom & top. Just ordered a Delphi drop link,

Wish I had have fitted a quality one in the first place trying to save money .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts