Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, was wondering if someone could shed some light on a problem for me?
I have a 307 2.0 hdi 136 sport pre facelift sport, and since christmas it's cost me nearly £3k to keep it running on the road. The faults have included lack of boost (faulty turbo sensor or something? 800 quid at local dealer to fix, for the 3rd time!!!), diesel FAP fluid and ecu that controls it, new clutch, new wheel bearings on the front, and 4 new tyres, and more, but i've gone brain dead as to what the rest of the faults were. But now i have yet another problem, and so far 3 garages are stumped on what is causing it. It's making a bad droning noise between 50 - 70 mph, which can be heard and felt thru the steering wheel and peddle box, when travelling in a straight line. But if the steering wheel is turned a few degrees left or right, the noise stops. Turn it a handfull of degrees further more to the left or right, and it comes back. It seems to be originating from the front of the car, drivers side front area. Anyone any ideas or past experience with this?

Thanks in advance

Ian :thumb:

·
Registered
535 Posts
When the car has been standing for a good while so that it is stone cold, perhaps in the morning before starting, check the Power Steering Fluid level. If it's in the same place as a 407SW, you'll find it in "the front of the car, drivers side front area."

Before opening the cap, have a look at it (the cap) is there evidence of fluid on top of it? (There's a breather hole and sometimes it foams and rises up through it.)

If the fluid is low, top it up using the approved fluid. There's a dipstick attachment to the cap. You should only need a very small amount to bring it up to the right level, don't just pour it all in! Check after each egg cup! and use a piece of kitchen towel to wipe the fluid off after each check - the thing doesn't like bits of oily rag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that! Had a look at power steering fluid, it was just below minimum, so topped it up. Unfortunately it's still making the noise tho. :(

Thanks

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hmm… I had hopes for that solution. My power steering on my 407 HDi occasionally transmits beat-like vibrations when I turn on full lock or turning when travelling slowly. When it first appeared, the top up of fluid worked, although it reappears occasionally and to a lesser extent. I was told by a mechanic at the dealer’s that a lot of Peugeots do this and that eventually a new power steering pump is required although many just go on for ever in that state.

I do wonder if the low fluid level resulted in air getting into the system and thus the pump misses a beat. An alternative is that the pump is not sealing well on one of its vanes, but if that were true, you’d expect it to be there all the time.

As a final check perhaps you could try standing on the offside front with the bonnet open and the engine running, whilst someone turns the steering wheel. Put a metal bar or a lump of broom handle on the pump, put the other immediately in front of your ear and touching you. When the wheels turn do you hear the same vibrations/drone? (Do keep well out of the way of moving parts and don’t stand in front of the car!)

That said, I must admit that I have never felt anything through the pedals and I can’t hear a droning noise.

Your problem seems to be linked either to an out-of-balance part and/or the steering, and the problem occurs between 50 – 70; this is similar to what happens when you have an unbalanced wheel, which would certainly transmit vibrations if it were sufficiently out. You might try that and, whilst the wheel was being balanced, ask if the mechanic can detect any looseness in the bearings, drive, steering, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your help :) I've had the wheels re-balanced, and both front wheel bearings replaced, but still to no avail. If anything the noise and vibration seem to be occurring slightly differently now. Tonight on my 25 mile trip down the a1 from work to home, it seemed not to do it travelling in a straight line at all, now it only does it when you turn the wheel, in any direction, in any amount. But below 50mph there is no noise or vibration. :tantrum:

Thanks again

·
Registered
535 Posts
The improvement is encouraging but…

More balancing here - http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1562.html

Balancing and swapping tyres here http://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/peugeot/4495/307-steering-judder

However, neither of the above mention vibration when operating the steering wheel.

Steering pump here http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4602

And here ½ way down http://www.peachorlemon.co.uk/cgi-bin/search.cgi?action=RunSearch&makeField=26&modelField=278

I suggest you have another look at your steering pump fluid level. Any loss? Any sign that fluid has escaped from the top (or anywhere else)? Did you have a listen to the pump with the “broom handle” test?

Despite stories of replacement racks, that doesn’t seem to cure anything; the juddering/vibration on turning the steering wheel and the original droning noise are all pointing me towards a pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts