Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to mainland Europe soon and just saw comment in another tread that is fine to drive without any additional headlight converters for RHD because Peugeot 308 has flat dip pattern type lights.

Can you drive without converters in all European countries or they are some exclusions ?

I used to lower the beam manually from button in the cabin in my previous car but now they are adjusting automatically.

And if this is valid for all different specs of Peugeot 308 or only fitted with LED lights.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Look at your dip pattern. Does it kick up on the left? If so you need convertors or some sort of mask. If it doesn't as with my LED lights, you don't need to do anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I've got LED lights too - 66 reg Allure so should be same but will check for the light kick on the left.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've been driving on the continent regularly for forty odd years and I've never masked the headlamps. In the 308 (and Xsara before it) I simply lower the beam as Fonejacker does. I think it's more correct to say that the headlamps must not dazzle and lowering them has this effect.

Having said that my other car is a Citroen C5 with self levelling suspension and so has no manual headlamp adjustment and I seldom get flashed driving that at night.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
By the way, the best way to check the dip beam pattern is to point the car at a wall.

I actually lowered the light on the left to make sure there was no risk of dazzling anyone in Europe. But have never been flashed even though almost half of my annual mileage is done in France, so around 5k miles.

There are always companies trying to sell things you don't need of course.

I also have an Italian made motorcycle which has a completely flat dip beam cut off. And that has halogen projector lights.

The rules don't say you must fit adapters in Europe, they say you must ensure your lights don't dazzle.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to mainland Europe soon and just saw comment in another tread that is fine to drive without any additional headlight converters for RHD because Peugeot 308 has flat dip pattern type lights.

Can you drive without converters in all European countries or they are some exclusions ?

I used to lower the beam manually from button in the cabin in my previous car but now they are adjusting automatically.

And if this is valid for all different specs of Peugeot 308 or only fitted with LED lights.

Any suggestions appreciated.
You do need them with the LED lights. I bought them and fitted them once. Subsequent trips I didn't bother. I had them in the car if I needed them.
The beam looks flat but when I asked Peugeot they said I needed them and found me the part to buy.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Could you see any difference to the beam cut off?

Looking at mine, I really cannot see how the existing completely flat beam cut off could possibly be improved.

This issue has come up on other parts of the forum and elsewhere, and the reports of Peugeot agents' responses have been "varied" to say the least. Some say nothing while others are falling over themselves to sell you something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have full leds and this is an extract from my handbook

What you all forget is that, if the lights don't conform to right-hand driving and you have an accident, that you did not have deflectors fitted is just another excuse for your insurer to invalidate your claim.

Deflectors are considered as conformity.

Best not to take the chance - fit deflectors, even with LED beams.
Cheap enough on eBay or Amazon. Don't buy them on the ferry or from the
AA !

Regards

KS63

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
A reminder that the EU laws do not require you to fit headlight convertors.

The laws in all the member states do clearly say that lights mus be arranged such that they don't dazzle oncoming drivers. Hence so long as the light does not risk dazzling others, it can be left alone.
My LED lights do not risk this, the halogen ones I had in my previous 308 did.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've just returned from a trip to Croatia via France, Belgium, Germany, Austria and Slovenija with full led - no deflectors, no problems, no-one flashed me and I passed umpteen polizia and nobody batted an eyelid.

PS my nephew, in Croatia, is an auto mechanic and he said my lights were fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts