Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Recently some problems have emerged with my '03 peugeot 307 1.6 manual transmission. The first thing I noticed was a sound that got more high pitched when I revved the engine. Just like a turbo, it sounded like air was swooshing in through a small hole.

Then I started hearing a noise that appears when the car is in neutral and clutch is released. It is some kind of a scratching noise like a bad bearing or something. The noise goes away when depressing the clutch. The noise gets more intensive when revving the engine.
Also the noise can be heard when while coasting in neutral I move the gear lever to 1st gear but keep the clutch pressed. I can hear something spooling up and spinning related to vehicle speed. Syncros I guess.
Now I also have a third issue. When starting the engine, right after starting up the starter or something makes a horrible grinding noise for a second. Therefore I have push started my car to avoid that.
What could be the cause to all these symptoms?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I would like to know if it is safe to keep driving my car for a long time or does it have a chance of blowing up.

·
5,627 Posts
Gearbox input shaft bearing is failing.

It will last a while but then get louder with vibration when pulling away which then can destroy the clutch and possibly the gearbox.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Firstly it's best to just put one defect in each thread. Like you a second defect needs its own thread. It makes it easier for one and all to keep track of what has been done etc.
So to the first one on the gears it could be a noisy clutch release bearing and that will need a gearbox removal for access. Normally if that is worn so will the rest of the clutch.
Secondly it sounds like a worn starter engagement mechanism and that will require a replacement starter motor. Or the starter ring on the flywheel has worn teeth. Either way the starter needs removing and both need inspecting. The good thing is both jobs can be done in one hit as gearbox removal will allow full access to the flywheel ring gear!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Do these have a DMF? Could be that on the way out. My slightly earlier 2 litre HDi had a twitter on tickover which almost certainly was the DMF on it's way. I managed to replace it with a solid conversion. Drove better after that.
This was at around 120k miles. It had already had the original DMF replaced at about 60k.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do these have a DMF? Could be that on the way out. My slightly earlier 2 litre HDi had a twitter on tickover which almost certainly was the DMF on it's way. I managed to replace it with a solid conversion. Drove better after that.
This was at around 120k miles. It had already had the original DMF replaced at about 60k.
My peugeot is at about 160k miles.
How much were you charged for the flywheel (I assume that you also dropped in a new clutch), both parts and labor.

·
5,627 Posts
As the noise is present with clutch engaged and noise is engine speed related. 99% it will be input shaft bearing a common failure on these boxes more so if oil level is slightly low

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
5,627 Posts
If the gearbox oil is low input shaft bearing is most common fail point. Once bearing is noisy damage is done and topping up oil will nothing in fact it often results in gearbox oil leaking into bell housing due to play in bearing

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How could I check the gearbox oil level. As far as I know the manual gearbox does not have a dipstick. Also, is there anything I could do to determine the faulty components.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Drain the gearbox and refill it with the correct amount of oil. But if the bearing is noisy the horse has bolted and shutting the stable door now won't help.

Roger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts