Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 407 drivers side driveshaft splines diff end keeps stripping, now my third driveshaft has just stripped it's splines after only 700 hundred miles. This problems only stared after an engine replacement.

Can anyone help me as it's a great car apart from this problem and I'm going mad!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It does start to seem likely the counterpart splines in the differential might be damaged, hence leading to stripping shafts.

Unless there are two different spline sizes for different year gearboxes?

Maybe there's the same amount of teeth, but the diameter is different?
But you probably only changed engine alone and not engine + gearbox as a whole?

Edit: What engine is this, and also what gearbox?

·
Registered
273 Posts
if only the engine was changed and its still the old gearbox i would look at the mounting on the back of the engine which centres the driveshaft to gearbox for mis-alinement, there are different mountings for different cars. also now because of stripping 3 shafts there could be damage to the splines inside the diff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the reply, yes only changed engine so first time it stripping shafts was the original shaft.

Engine is 2.0 HDI and gearbox is 4 speed auto.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
auto and manual rear mounts are different chances are the shaft is not going fully into the box splines it wont leak oil as the diff on an auto is sealed so the fitter would not realise its wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your reply, will ask my mechanic to look at mounting on the back of the engine, luckily no damage to the splines inside the diff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts