Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI. 72 year old pensioner just joined with, no doubt, a familiar problem. I have a 307SW diesel estate. And the drivers window is stuck down. The rocker switch has given up. I have already removed the switch assembly from the door and basically just need to know which wires to short out, to get the window temporarily closed, whilst it's sitting out in the street.

The car is going to be 'Retired' in the very near future. So I don't really want to have to pay huge repair bills.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Try opening the switch pack and cleaning it out. This is a common problem and most of the time, blowing out any debris and maybe using a small, soft paint brush to dislodge any stubbrn stuff resolves the issue. I wouldn't want to be shorting any wires as they go back to the BSI as signals that tell the BSI what to do. Not like in the old days when the switch simply switched the power to the motor.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I can't help with which wires, but...

The switches on the armrest aren't clever, they are just switches - if you can identify the wires then shorting them will appear to the BSI that you've operated the switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks for replies. The drivers window switch is definitely 'bust'! It clicks normally in the 'window down' position. But just 'floats' when you try to switch to close the window. I just wanted to sort out the two wires that did the job, until I can arrange a permanent solution.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Unfortunately (in addition to my previous post) I keep forgetting that I'm a bit stranger than most...

The 'wires' will be the pcb tracks to the switch - it'll entail taking the switch block apart. You can't pick two wires from the door loom because it's multiplexed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This does seem to be be getting unnecessarily complicated. There are six wires coming out of the back of the switch. Red, blue, green, grey, cream and pink. So shorting the correct two must do the job!
I live in the middle of nowhere in Central Scotland! The nearest public library is sixteen miles away, so getting hold a manual is not that simple. And why is this the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have a wiring diagram in the owners handbook?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This does seem to be be getting unnecessarily complicated. There are six wires coming out of the back of the switch. Red, blue, green, grey, cream and pink. So shorting the correct two must do the job!
I live in the middle of nowhere in Central Scotland! The nearest public library is sixteen miles away, so getting hold a manual is not that simple. And why is this the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have a wiring diagram in the owners handbook?
Peugeot do not publish any information about wire colours, and they can vary from time to time. They do publish, in a database called the SEDRE, wiring information, but it relates to pin numbers, not colours. The diagram below may or may not relate to your car. If you want to check, post the last eight digits of your VIN, from which I can enter the SEDRE and pull up the diagram specific to your car.

Clearly, it is not a case of just shorting two wires. The window has to move in two directions, so positive and earth both have to be switched as appropriate. The easiest thing would be to connect positive and earth to the motor connections with the motor not connected to the switch. If it doesn't go up, reverse the connections. The diagram shows that, at rest, both motor connections are earthed, so you can't do it with the motor connected to the switch.

This is the simple case. If your windows have "sequential control", the SEDRE does not identify which wires are the motor supply, so it would be more difficult. However, in that case the window switches only use 4 wires, so it probably does not apply to your car

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ok, in my 307sw the window control panel has a total of 9 wires on two plugs (6 on one, 3 on the other).

There are controls for:

FL up
FL auto up
FL down
FL auto down
FR up
FR auto up
FR down
FR auto down
RL up
RL auto up
RL down
RL auto down
RR up
RR auto up
RR down
RR auto down
Disable rear window control
Fold mirrors
L mirror up
"" down
"" left
"" right
R mirror up
"" down
"" left
"" right

Without some sort of manipulation, you can't get that many signals on 9 wires...

Of course, you could always take of the door card, unplug the window motor and stick 12v into it - that might work ;)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Well, that's a third case, even more complex, which goes to show why the information is held in a database, rather than a reference book!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. Well the last eight digits of my VIN are 83049198.
Also I see that the six wires are for both front window switches, not just the drivers.
Would Peugeot still supply new switches or would it perhaps be a breakers yard job?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Your car is fitted with sequential window control, which means the motors are controlled by semiconductor relays in the BSI, which implies the switches in the door just send signals to the BSI. In practice, this means that you can either disconnect the motor and apply 12V to it, as described earlier, or you can connect the Peugeot test equipment (Planet/Diagbox) to the car's diagnostic socket and use that to move the window.

See this thread for Planet, etc. or open your wallet to your Peugeot Dealer.

Do an EBay search for "Peugeot 6554KS" for offers of replacement switch unit.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be its simple

Option 1 use planet to wind window up
option 2

Remove door panel
Remove window motor 3 torx screws
Pull up window
Refit motor job done window up !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OK. Well, last Thursday I visited two local Peugeot main dealers. One in person and the other, on line by email. They both quoted the same price £176.18 for a replacement switch assembly. Which was a bit of a blow as, apparently, my 307 only has a scrap value of £40! And neither dealer had one in stock, anyway! On mentioning this, the parts guy at the dealer I visited asked (perhaps a little condisendingly) if I had heard of eBay!
He very kindly gave me the part number and on returning home, I had a look. And so this morning. 4 days later, a brand new switch assembly arrived by courier. The cost? Just £16.50 inc. postage!
I could have got one even cheaper if i'd ordered from China. But I prefer UK suppliers. It took just 5 minutes to fit.

I never noticed the last two replies before this post. Many thanks to all who chipped in to help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you looked on ebay for a used switch pack there usually around 5 to 10 pounds with a fewcquid for next day delivery . I have had the same problem on audi, rover, alfa, renault etc. Usually the switch goes, although if its the mechanism sticking, spray with wd40 down the window trap and you can get them moving. Most regulators can be repaired with kits easily as well from ebay etc .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts