Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have developed a humming noise which emits from the from drivers side wheel in my 307 SW Rapier . Looked at other posts before posting to get some ideas . Thus far I have replaced

Hub and bearing (drivers side)
Track rod ends (both sides)
Drop links (both sides)
Ball joint (drivers side)

I have also moved the tyres(pirrelli) around this has made no difference . I have also checked the drive shaft and CV joints which all seemed OK .

I'm at my wits end and pulling out what little hair I have left .

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
556 Posts
If it's a humming noise it is coming from a moving part, the ball joints etc bang, knock or clunk.
I would check tyres (done) inner arch, front bumper splitter (bottom piece) is on tight.
Wheel bearing, power steering pump (try full lock makes it worse, just for identifying)
Pulleys/belt.
Maybe wipers or anything defecting wind is correct?

Then if all is good go to the back and check tyres and bearings (you'd be surprised)!
:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Loot 34 . Thanks for the quick response .

Fairly certain its not the power steering . Ill check the linings etc tomorrow .Had new belts last year (including timing belt and pump) . Do you check the rear bearings in the same way as the front ones

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, jack up, firm grip of wheel wiggle left/right/up/down then spin fast then rotate while pushing inwards, a wheel bearing will sound/feel rough when bad, a good bearing feels tightish and smooth/quiet.

The back shouldn't have play but the front left/right play usually worn track rod. Up down usually ball joint.
The garage usually use a Tyre lever or something to lean on things to see if there is play i.e bushes, ball joints, cv joint steering etc.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I would plump for wheel bearing. If its this thats the problem get them pressed in and dont hammer them. OE quality are the ones to go for.
Early bearing failure, ie weeks can result from hammering in bearings.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I had an unexplainable noise from the front wheel area when my crankshaft pulley was breaking, only it wasnt the wheel but sounded as if it was. This was audible at standstill though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

many thanks for the responses

pretty certain its not the bearing nor the tyres . someone suggested it could be the oil level in the gear box (manual)

Any comments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

The noise is constant . Coasted in neutral yesterday at 70mph no change . The noise is constant with speed. This morning I drove around a car park on a tight lock (both ways) no problem or knocking .

·
Registered
556 Posts
Think it may be necessary to get a mechanic to check it, you don't need to get them to do the job just tel you the problem, some places do checks for free like tyres and brakes etc.
If you have a mechanic friend of family or someone.

If the noise is constant then it could be any of the previously mentioned items but checking them may not be that easy(g box/driveshaft)
You could top up gear box oil and check play on driveshaft and other components......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update

may have made progress .

rechecked everything yesterday and noticed a problem with the NS wheel . Very noisy (a kind of rattle ) either from the bearing or the drive shaft . I'm 70% certain its the drive shaft. Some oil around that area as well which suggests its been leaking

Is it more likely to be the drive shaft or the bearing? .

Taking the drive shaft off tomorrow to investigate . Will also have to drain gear box which will probably needs new oil after 1020000 miles anyway .

hopefully this will solve the problem . May probably replace drive shaft and bearing (belts and braces)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update

took drive shaft and wheel bearing off . drive shaft ok , wheel bearing definitely had it . trying to put drive shaft back in but cant get it to sit right . Should i have to persuade it with a persuader (hammer) or should it slide in easy . Try seating it but cant get it to go in properly . when i rotate it is clicks and the gear box jolts . any ideas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update

thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions .turned out it was the NS wheel bearing . also changed the discs while i had the wheels off .

this coupled with the replaced drop links. wheel bearings , ball joints and track rod end means it now handles like a dream , no more knocking or drifting actually looking forward to driving to Cornwall tomorrow .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts