Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope someone can help.

Problem as title really - brake light and indicator works but tail/rear doesn't. The licence plate bulb had failed but I've replaced it and the light still isn't working.

There's a YouTube video on how to get to the wiring but the rear of mine inside looks different.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
687 Posts
PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2014 5:21 pm Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post List users that have viewed this topic
Hi,

I hope someone can help.

Problem as title really - brake light and indicator works but tail/rear doesn't. The licence plate bulb had failed but I've replaced it and the light still isn't working.

There's a YouTube video on how to get to the wiring but the rear of mine inside looks different.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!
Try cleaning the contacts, scape the connectors with a fine screw driver or glass fibre pen and do the same on then bulb holder, perhaps even tweek the angle of the tabs on the bulb holder as these can can get oxidised over time

If that doesn't work, you could have a break in the loom somewhere....but easy to do things first :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.

It appears to be intermittent as when I turned the lights on this morning it was working and when I got to work it wasn't.

There does seem to be condensation on the inside of the glass. Is there some way I can dry it out without taking it to a garage?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thank you.

It appears to be intermittent as when I turned the lights on this morning it was working and when I got to work it wasn't.

There does seem to be condensation on the inside of the glass. Is there some way I can dry it out without taking it to a garage?

Thanks again!
Contacts are the usual suspects. Drill a couple holes in the bottom of your rear light glass to remove water and stop buildup.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thank you.

Thanks again!
did cleaning work with the contacts? Before I changed to facelift rear lights, I dried some condensation in one light by removing it and leaving it overnight above the hot water tank......dried it out v quickly

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 307cc with leds - how can I get to the contacts on the rear light? The contacts in the licence plate bulb all look good, but I've yet to give them a clean. Thanks for all your help - I'm trying to avoid garage prices if I can!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE

Well, this weekend I took off my rear light cluster and dried it out. I cleaned the licence plate bulb and swapped the n/s for the o/s (as the o/s one had originally blown).

The tail-light comes on for about a minute then starts flickering and goes out. Both licence plate bulbs come on and stay on. Both the inner and outer o/s tail lights are affected but the indicators and brakes work.

Is there anything else I can try before having to take it to a garage?

Thanks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
UPDATE

Well, this weekend I took off my rear light cluster and dried it out. I cleaned the licence plate bulb and swapped the n/s for the o/s (as the o/s one had originally blown).

The tail-light comes on for about a minute then starts flickering and goes out. Both licence plate bulbs come on and stay on. Both the inner and outer o/s tail lights are affected but the indicators and brakes work.

Is there anything else I can try before having to take it to a garage?

Thanks.
do you have a meter or a light probe? If so, try and identify which wire it is and then remove that wire from the plug to see how corroded or loose it is. The plugs are a replacement part, but are hellishly expensive for what the are.

Out of interest, did you ever try tweaking the pins on the cluster and bending them slightly to one side or the other to try and improve the contact with the plug? I had to do this with one of my rear indicators to fix what sounds like a similar issue, but had to be careful when slotting the plug back in

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately I don't have either.

I've not tried that. I will take a look in a little while.

I think wiring may be out of my league :eek:(

·
Registered
687 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have either.

I've not tried that. I will take a look in a little while.

I think wiring may be out of my league :eek:(
A probe can be bought quite cheaply and are v useful. What you know is that their is an intermittent supply to the bulb, which suggests the wiring is okay and that the most probable problem is a dry/corroded/loose connection.

Try moving the plug around to see if by holding the plug/feed wire at an angle improves things before deciding to tweak the pin. also try and use a small screwdriver to scrape the plug connector and clean with contact cleaner or methylated spirit (methanol) or rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl alcohol/IPA) to degrease and clean.

This things tend to be more annoying than difficult:nod::thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I've just taken another look. Before doing anything, I tried the lights again. It stayed on longer - a good 2 minutes before flickering and going out. I've cleaned the contact pins (there are 5 of them) and had a tweak of the wires near there but it didn't come back on.

I'm not sure where else to look for a loose/corroded connection...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I've just taken another look. Before doing anything, I tried the lights again. It stayed on longer - a good 2 minutes before flickering and going out. I've cleaned the contact pins (there are 5 of them) and had a tweak of the wires near there but it didn't come back on.

I'm not sure where else to look for a loose/corroded connection...
no problem, look inside the plug where the pins go, give them a scrape with a fine screw driver

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all your help. The problem is still unfortunately not fixed. I've scraped both sides of the connectors. The lights work for about a minute and then start flickering before going out after about 10 seconds of increasing flickering. I've checked the fuse too and it's not that. Looks like it has beaten me and I'm going to need to take it to a garage. Frustrating!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi mines the facelift model 07 plate and my drivers rear tail light is a lot dimmer than the other side, replaced all bulbs and still the same. brake light and the rest are perfect, its just the dimming of the tail light.

·
Registered
82 Posts
hi mines the facelift model 07 plate and my drivers rear tail light is a lot dimmer than the other side, replaced all bulbs and still the same. brake light and the rest are perfect, its just the dimming of the tail light.
have you checked your earth wire around your light cluster they rust get dirty and break I have sometimes put an extra earth wire to the body it helps ,check your terminals for dirt green etc give them a clean and try again:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have any information about adding an additional earth wire? I looked at a friends passenger side rear unit as he said it wasn't working. I noticed one of the pins was completely erroded/melted and the connector at the end of the loom was also damaged. He's ordered a new bulb holder but i'd like to run the extra earth on both of his rear lights to fix the problem for him.

I've searched online and read a lot and hes definitely got this problem. I found a "how to" for a 407 rear light earth wire mod, so i assume it's a similar fix on the 307 but there iv'e not succeeded in finding and guides as to how to do it.

If anyone knows of a guide then please post a link, or if you know and have done it, could you possibly write it up. It's seems like a very common fault so a lot of people will benefit from an article explaining the earthing process.

Kind regards

Butler.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For towing looms, there are earthing points on both sides of the car, from memory, they are 8mm bolts in the rear quarters under the trim. For cars with reversing sensors, the one earthing point is also the fixing point for the reversing ECU under the trim on the LHS, you may be able to feel them if you remove the plastic covers used to access the butterflies for the light clusters

For an additional earthing point, you could attach to these points and feed a wire directly to the earth track on the bulb holder. I'd use bullet connectors so that the wires could be separated to allow for the cluster to be removed, though, you'd need to drill a small hole through the bulb holder to get to the earth track and would also need to reseal this as well to prevent the ingress of water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sounds above my capability. Do you know of anywhere which has an explanation with pictures?

I wouldn't even attempt it without some sort of "how-to"

Cheers,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts