Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been harder to get my car into gear when it's cold recently, mostly from 1st-2nd. I was suspecting gearbox oil, since it seems ok when it's warmed up.
I had a look underneath there, and it looks like the drive shaft seal is gone on the gearbox side, and it's leaked gearbox oil. A second opinion would be nice though since I'm not an expert or anything.

In the second image in particular it looks like the seal is wonky on the drive shaft.

Would I be on the right track thinking I need to change the seal and refill the gearbox oil?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gearbox oil is yellow, quite thick and stinks somewhat. If that's what you have than most likely it's the driveshaft oil seal, easy enough job really.

Just be glad you don't drive a BMW... there's no drain plug and it is not noted how much oil it needs, as the gearbox's are sealed for "life"......

Even if it isn't gearbox oil, it should be changed every 100k / 5 years I reckon, makes shifting easier!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, it's been a real pain going from 1st to 2nd for the last week or two so I'm just going to do it anyway, if for nothing else other than peace of mind that the gearbox actually HAS oil in it!

Since there's no way to check the gear oil level, other than to drain it, as far as I know.

Might very well be a clutch related problem though, since the gear stick and the clutch pedal have a slight throbbing vibration in them when I touch them lightly.

The previous owner told me (I only got the car recently) that it also needed a gearbox mount but I'm not sure if he meant the left engine mount (on the gearbox) or some other mounting, there doesn't seem to be any others that I can see. That could also be the source of the vibrations I suppose.. Hopefully it's not a clutch plate or something! :

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so, I after I had convinced myself that the car was leaking gearbox oil I went away and bought a seal and a 2L of gearbox oil. I still hadn't got around to changing it due to bad weather and the lack of a 21mm spanner.

In the meantime I remembered that I reconditioned the brakes recently and I had let the brake fluid reservoir run dry. :nono: Since the clutch uses the same reservoir I thought I might have let a little air get into the clutch system too, so I bled it, and it seems to have sorted the problem. I didn't notice anything at the time so it was probably just a tiny air bubble or two.
The gear shift is still a bit 'clunky' but that's normal as far as I've heard.

I'll probably change the oil at some stage anyway though, when the weather gets better, and I get bored. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts