Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just pulled the nearside driveshaft on my 2000 W expert with the intention of changing the seal to fix a leak.

I expected it to be hard to pull but it slid straight out and there is no split ring to lock it home.

Has some idiot left it off (had clutch done 14 months ago) or is there not meant to be one for some reason?

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
depends what side on mine the drivers side one has no c clip on the end. the bearing in the middle is held in but bolts though so does a similar job. trying to pull that massive driveshaft with a c clip on the end would be a nightmare

does this sound similar. mines a 2.0 90bhp hdi

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't expect one on the offside because, as Monty9120 says, the midshaft bearing holds the driveshaft into the box but I did expect one on the nearside shaft.

Oh well if davidireland says Peugeot don't fit rings/clips to the nearside shaft then that is good enough for me and I will just pop the new seal in.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
im getting mixed up on the c clips for the outer cv joint.

the nearside driveshaft was the easiest i have ever done on my 307. once i worked out the offside it was all gravy

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys.

Right I have done the clutch (a mission on axle stands) but this nearside drive shaft does need a circlip/ring to hold it into the gearbox. There is a grove on the shaft and a corresponding grove inside the gearbox socket.

I have spoken to the Dealer and they confirm there is a clip on the shaft but they don't sell it. They can however sell me the whole drive shaft though for £276. Hmmmm

So where can I get just a circlip?

Cheers all.

·
Registered
274 Posts
there is no circlips on the inner (gearbox) ends, only on the outer ends to hold the cv joints on. ive replaced the clutch and about 3 rubber boots and done over 100,000 miles since with no problems (or circlips).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply.

I am confused as to what holds the nearside driveshaft in then. When installed I can reach in and pull the inner joint in and out of the gearbox a good half inch.

Is the shaft meant to move freely in and out that much? If it is then fine and I will just change the seal and leave it to float but it seems a bit odd to me.

Never done a Citroen before but if that is how they are then that is how they are. Probably explains why the seals fail though :)

Thanks again

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, that makes sense so the spring in the inner joint takes up the slack and keeps the shaft seated in the box.

Mine is clearly broken then because it doesn't spring back at all. I will take a look around for a new shaft then

Thank you very much for explaining the issue to me. Not happy to have to buy a new shaft but at least I now understand.

Thanks again

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update to help anyone else that gets stuck with this problem. reliable406 was indeed correct and the new drive shaft does simply spring back against the gearbox when you pull it away. I fitted a new seal with the new drive shaft and 800 miles later there isn't a drip of oil in sight.

Thanks reliable406 I really appreciated your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts