Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have offered to change the rear discs and pads on a friends 2.0 307cc (2005 model), but was unaware of the complications I might be faced with!

Cutting a long story short, I have established that the rear discs have the bearings pushed into them, but there are a few questions I need to ask before I physically tackle the job, if anyone is able to help!

Will there be an ABS ring on the rear discs that I need to remove and install on the new discs? Is this is a difficult job, and how are they removed and refitted?

Also is the rear hub nut a 32mm?

I believe I have the correct tools here to tackle the job correctly. I have a huge brake caliper rewind tool kit with lots of adaptors, a one-man bleed valve kit for bleeding the system amongst other things too! If I get time I will also change the front discs and pads too - is the whole system straight forward to bleed with a one man bleed kit?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I'm not too familiar with Peugeots and this setup is a bit different to me!

Any help much appreciated,
Many Thanks,
Anthony.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
heres some info that may of be of some use. from personal knowledge i know that some cars have the brake disk and bearing paired to each other and others have them seperate.

if memory serves me right (been over a year) within both types of the bearings there is a magnetic ring that is part of the abs system. from what i also beleive is that these cannot be removed without causing perminant damage. and new ones come with this magnetic ring already attached

i hope this is usefull somehow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have changed the discs in my '06 307 SW around two years ago.

The brakes dont need bled, the calliper can be unbolted and tied up out of the way. You may need to undo the two hex bolts first and then the torx bolts as the brake pipes are in the way for getting at the torx bolts.

With the calliper off, a 32mm socket (i used a 3/4 socket/bar with a 3feet length of scaffold) takes off the hub nut.

The ABS ring can be teased off with a screwdriver (not sure if its recommended or not but thats what I did and its been fine since doing it).

There is a circlip behind the bearing, take this out and get the bearing pressed out.

Press the new bearing in to the new disc and tap on the ABS ring.

I used the old hub nut with no problems so far.

I used a G-clamp to push the brake piston back a bit (I dont have the proper tools), with a bit of pressure applied, use a pair of pipe grips to turn the piston and it moves in. Repeat until piston is in far enough.

Bolt the calliper back in place and job done.

If you want to make the job simpler (and probably remove any risks) you can buy the disc with the bearing and ABS ring already fitted and comes with a new hub nut.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts