Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new 307 I bought with less than 32,000 on the clock has a dreaded tappety sound when cold.:nono::nono:

Full service history so oil changes were done so why on earth has it got a tappet sound.
Also only evident when idling.

Had a car with failed tappets before and it was a nighmare. I changed 8 of them myself with new cams and all was well after.

This one has 16!
How difficult are they to change? It's going in for a belt change on Friday so I'll ask the guys at AME.

:(

2005 1.6 petrol 16v SE

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems to be intermittent so maybe it's a sticking tappet. (I pray!)
Maybe a good long drive will clear it with the new oil in the other day.

The other car(alfa) had constant ticking when hot(2 broken tappets).

If it is a failed tappet how difficult are they to access and change?
Do I need to remove the cams?

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
You dont say exactly what engine it is as there are more than 1 1.6 engine but if its the NFU it has no tappets the cams push directly on the buckets over the valves

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You dont say exactly what engine it is as there are more than 1 1.6 engine but if its the NFU it has no tappets the cams push directly on the buckets over the valves
What do you mean by pushing on the buckets?
Are you referring to hydraulic lifters as opposed to solid tappets?

NFUL on the VIN.
I see from the manual there is a NFUC and NFUL

update I see
The code for these is in your chassis number NFU is the engine code and the next letter is the gear box type, in this case it's a C.
I believe its the TU5JP4 NFU so it has hydraulic lifters just like the alfa did.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
I mean they have buckets over the valves and the cams push these there is no adjustment by hydraulic pressure like in the diesels and they generally dont give trouble as there is little to go wrong.

depends what you call a tappet :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I mean they have buckets over the valves and the cams push these there is no adjustment by hydraulic pressure like in the diesels and they generally dont give trouble as there is little to go wrong.

depends what you call a tappet :)

Not sure if we're using the same terminology. Older engines had solid tappets that cna be adjusted by shims or the rockers. Modern engines like this have hydraulic buckets, zero lash, fed by pressursed oil galleries.
Correct me if I am wrong.
They are a bucket with a hydraulic piston that maintains the clearance to zero through the oil hole fed by a gallery.
These can fail in many ways. They can collapse, stick or the lobe face can pit.
I've had 2 catastrophic failures before that ended up damaging the lobes. I rebuilt that engine with INA buckets.

I'm suspecting one has failed so its not keeping it's not maintaing zero lash.

I'll probably add some Wynns to try and clear it and give it a good run.

Looks like a tough job to replace them. Hidden in the depths of the head.
Ones like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301523870569?clk_rvr_id=928184717815&rmvSB=true

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
Yes they are buckets and yes they do have oil running into them but the tolerances on modern engines are so tight you get tiny variations so the oil does not need to pump up much at all so you rarely get any issues with these.

You need the cams out to replace them on this engine but doubt it would be worth it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes they are buckets and yes they do have oil running into them but the tolerances on modern engines are so tight you get tiny variations so the oil does not need to pump up much at all so you rarely get any issues with these.

You need the cams out to replace them on this engine but doubt it would be worth it.
I'll run it for a few weeks on the chance it's just a stuck lifter.
This car is mint inside and out. Wasn't cheap and only has 31900 miles.

If the lifters need changing I will use the warranty to pay for part of it. It will be worth it.

Probably try some wynns also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lets hope it was just the oil change that caused the tappet to tap. Maybe some trapped air bubbles. I did let the sump drain for 2 days.

Just took it out round the block a few times and it wasn't tapping.

It's going in to the garage for a timing belt/water pump change tomorrow.

It does have a faint whining noise inside though. Sounds like a pump (petrol?)
Is this a normal charateristic?

·
Registered
202 Posts
all peugeots ive heard have a bit of a whine to them which increases with revs up to about 2k then you cant hear it over engine noise. if it gets louder with revs and doesnt become hidden then id get it checked

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
all peugeots ive heard have a bit of a whine to them which increases with revs up to about 2k then you cant hear it over engine noise. if it gets louder with revs and doesnt become hidden then id get it checked

Appears to be the electric power steering pump. Googled it and everyone appears to have the same whine.
I'll get the fluid checked today.

Tappets rattled up on start up but then quietened down. Bit unnerving. I can just picture those lobes whacking against the tappet faces until they pumped up. They shouldn't really bleed down overnight.
Using synthetic 5w40. That should be fine.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something is still not right.
Started it up again this morning after a cold night and it sounded quite tappety.
Wife had to drive it so I didn't get the chance to hear it longer.

But last night it was quite quiet when hot.
The tappets surely should not be bleeding down on such a low mileage engine.
(1.6 16v petrol 2005 31900 miles).

When the mechanic changed the timing belt and pump he said he didn't hear anything abnormal but then then again it was warmed up.

Might take it along to him again next week. Peugeot in IE seem to do free checks but not in UK by the looks of it.

Had a long search on youtube trying to find a similar sound but not much came up. A lot of Hdi engines but not petrol.:(

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Total Quartz yes.
Just gone for a motorway run to get the 5w40 oil nice and hot to clean things.
Got back and very quiet. No tappet sound at all.
Think I will try the 0w30 to see if it pumps up the tappets when cold. If not then I guess it's a trip to the garage.

Not so sure about engine flushes. 50/50 reviews. Should be ok though as the engine is relatively new.

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
You are getting hung up on this low mileage you say its relatively new its NOT its 10 years old :)

low mileage could actually be the cause !!

lots of short runs never getting fully warmed up actually causes MORE wear than regular long journeys.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I seem to recall that back in the eighties Audi / VW were getting a lot of complaints from very concerned owners of new cars who were alarmed at the clatter on start up from noisy hydraulic tappets , they were reassured by Audi /VW that it was perfectly normal and would cause no damage whatsoever. As a Audi owner of that period I can affirm that no damage or problems related to noisy tappets was experienced by myself in the fourteen years of Audi ownership . Peugeot in all probability use the same engineering principle as Audi for the hydraulic bucket tappets and I would imagine that it doesn't warrant any concern whatsoever .:nod:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for your opinions guys. Modern synthetic oils are supposed to be designed for short runs, looks like they have failed on me here.

More and more swaying towards getting it in to take off the cam heads to inspect the tappets.:(

Will ring my mechanics to see what the cost will be!

·
Registered
14,645 Posts
You have only got the car and you do not know how it was driven or serviced prior to you getting it regardless off having paperwork etc you still dont KNOW.

The fact it is fine when warm tells me it is fine and you are worrying about nothing

1 - 20 of 60 Posts