Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post from long time lurker. I've got a 57 plate 308 HDi Sport 110 which aside from this issue has been faultless and a great drive. My Labrador loves it too.

However the rear right light cluster has completely failed. I've read threads on this being a likely corrosion of earth connection and have a PDF copy of the fix which is recommended for 407s with the same problem.

Has anyone attempted this on a 308 or resolved it in any other way? I can't see any corrosion however maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry cant help, but I have the same problem. Have read loads about it being an issue but nothing on how to fix it. I thought I might just be able to buy a new bulbholder but I cant find anything online, I dont know if they can be bought seperately or if you have to buy the entire light. For what seems to be such a common problem there seems to be very little info on a solution. Any help would be good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I've managed to sort this out. I don't want to say the word "fix" though. Here's what I did, although it's not what you'd call scientific.

1) Removed the light cluster, opened it up removed the bulbs and replaced then. Disconnected the wiring and cleaned the pins. Put it all back together again. This made no difference at all.

2) With the ignition off, followed the wiring up the inside of the car to see if anything felt out of place. You can't actually see though which doesn't help because of the lining. Then gave the wiring a general giggle about. Reconnected everthing. It works!!!!

I'm not saying it's permanent fix as the symptom has been intermitant at both sides but at least it's working for now.

Does anyone know if the following recall is related to this?

Recall Ref: R/2010/157
Exact Model: 307, 308, 807, Expert III
Description: LIGHTS MAY FAIL WITHOUT WARNING.
VIN: VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(807), VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(308), VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(307), VF3******13352715 to VF3******85150233(Expert)
Build Date: 06/07/2007 to 07/03/2008
Numbers: 2897
Defect: It has been identified that the position of the exterior lighting control ring may not be detected by the lighting management system and the lights may switch off without warning.
Action: Recalled vehicles will have the lighting management software updated.
Launch Date: 06 October 2010

·
Registered
2 Posts
:) Annoying isn't it? I also succeeded by wiggling the wires around...for about 20 minutes! Am getting to the stage I just want to kick it now! Had someone look at it and he said it has corroded in the bulb holder, but as I said previously I cant find any of these online I just hope I dont have to buy a whole light. There must be another way?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK slight update. After taking apart the light and disconnecting the wiring we thought we'd test the theory that it could be related to the level of contact between the pins at either side of the wiring.

We slightly bent each of the the PINs and connections at both sides of the wiring so that they would lean closer together an all seems good now.

Case Closed - Fingers crossed it keeps working.

I think the whole 407 earthing issue was completely unrelated in this case.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i had same problem on my 406 the problem was the slots in which the bulbs went into were too tight when i was pushing and turning the bulbs into it they were breaking contects in the bulbs try making the slots looser? hope that helps:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same problem with my 308 its a known problem as speaking to my local deal he said its an earth problem on the light cluster, the fix i have done and has been working for over 3000 miles is to make a new earth conection to the light cluster.

Take out the lights remove the bulb holder part, locate the earth bar its the one common to all bulbs, drill a small hole near the top and through the earth bar and plastic bolt a spade clip on here, with 30 cm of earth cable fit one end with a spade clip, fit a ring clip with a 6mm hole on the other end. looking from the rear of the car with the light cluster out at the lower part that would be under the cover there are 3 fixed unused bolt holes 6mm find a short bolt to fit then bolt the ring end of the wire on any of the holes, re fit the plastic and light cluster spade clip new earth and re fit lights, takes about 30 mins total and works no problems yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Strobemonkey- My driver side cluster was "dead". Took your advice and bent the connecting pins slightly and gave them a clean. 1000 miles later still going strong.

I owe you a strobebanana!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Strobemonkey

:D Big Thanks Strobemonkey, same issue, 308 indicator sound going twice as fast, my right rear indicator bulb had blown, replaced this but also needed to take plastic casing off the wiring contacts (argghhh fiddly :eek:) to clean and then bend them slightly. One of the five teeth was really burnt black and some plastic around it had melted into it. I used a nail file from the missus as it was hard to get to.

I assume, as there is no fuse on this light cluster the wiring contacts take the hit when a bulb blows and burns out. Not good design, even with your fix I spent a good few hours doing this repair BUT have saved loads of money and learnt something :thumb:. The bulb was £1 from local garage!

·
Registered
1 Posts
308 (08 plate)

My rear passenger side light cluster stopped working. I removed the light connector from the cluster and noticed that the second pin from the right looked slightly burnt :mad: The dealer and they told me the only option was to replace the whole light cluster for £165!! :mad:

I took it to G.R Millward Ltd in Sheffield and they fixed it in about 15 minutes by bridging the earth cable that had burnt in the connector. Total cost £24! Thanks to them :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I have the same issue with my 57 plate 308. With the tail lights on, once the near side indicator is put on, the tail lights dim slightly on the near side cluster, and on occasion, get a fair good light of light faults on the rear near side displayed on the warning log, on the radio/time display on the dash.
I decided to have a look, and discovered the earth is at fault. The connector has slightly melted in the area of the earth pin on the wiring loom. The earth wire itself has burn marks at the connector and the earth wire covering has a small split in it which gave a slight 'shock' literally when discovered haha.
Seeing the previous posts, its a common issue so will try one of the posted solutions at some point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just bought a 08 308, I have a problem with offside cluster,,a mechanic said you can buy a fixing kit from Peugeot for about £20 he showed me the problem, like you all say the earth terminal, don't know if what he said is right or not, he cleaned it up, it works now but he said would fail again...

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Just bought a 08 308, I have a problem with offside cluster,,a mechanic said you can buy a fixing kit from Peugeot for about £20 he showed me the problem, like you all say the earth terminal, don't know if what he said is right or not, he cleaned it up, it works now but he said would fail again...
Make your own earth with a piece of wire save £20 :nod:

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK slight update. After taking apart the light and disconnecting the wiring we thought we'd test the theory that it could be related to the level of contact between the pins at either side of the wiring.

We slightly bent each of the the PINs and connections at both sides of the wiring so that they would lean closer together an all seems good now.

Case Closed - Fingers crossed it keeps working.

I think the whole 407 earthing issue was completely unrelated in this case.
I had the same problem and fiddling around with it seems to have fixed it. For now anyway. I took the whole thing off, filed and cleaned the contacts, slightly bent them and plugged, placed everything back in place and it still wasn't quite still working, fiddled with the plug from the inside until all lights worked. It's been working for a couple of weeks now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 207 SW, first symptoms were intermittent fast indicator lights but I now know that that the whole rear driver's side cluster is intermittent.

Took it apart today to have a look, it seems the earth pin has either corroded or melted back, melting some of the connector with it too. See pic below.

Anyone have any luck finding replacement cluster assemblies?

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.