Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, finally got this car running but now paying more attention to noises on idle, I can hear a worrying intermittent squeek and a small rattle from the engine. Its not on the belt side so i am worried the DMF is on its way out :mad: car hasnt been drove for a long while as she wouldnt start but before all that happened id probs say i had slight judder through the clutch when moving off in 1st. This is the first time ive ever noticed the squeek though :rolleyes:

any ideas how i can tell?
price for replacement or conversion?

thanks

Richard

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hi guys, finally got this car running but now paying more attention to noises on idle, I can hear a worrying intermittent squeek and a small rattle from the engine. Its not on the belt side so i am worried the DMF is on its way out :mad: car hasnt been drove for a long while as she wouldnt start but before all that happened id probs say i had slight judder through the clutch when moving off in 1st. This is the first time ive ever noticed the squeek though :rolleyes:

any ideas how i can tell?
price for replacement or conversion?

thanks

Richard
270-350 for conversion then fitting on top highley recommened

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
no real way to tell apart from removing the whole lot and inspecting. i was speaking to a mate of mine at work who does all the work on my car at that level and he says the best way is to wait till the clutch and flywheel go bang...

but there are tests you can do. when accellerating, check to see if your engine speed is matching the increase of speed...if engine speed goes up faster your flywheel is slipping.

attempt to pull away in 3rd, 4th and even 5th if you can...something is up.

when you press your clutch down is there any squeeking or knocking...this would suggest your fork or bearing are on the way.

i was also speaking to him in regards to the solid conversion. he was saying he was looking at that also (has same engine as mine) and he said he was looking at the solid conversion untill some of his other taxi driver buddies turned around and said dont do it. apparently it puts more strain on the cam or something...in the end alot of money...best to stick to stock DMF and Clutch kits.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I found the easiest way too tell a DMF was on the way out was to listen as you turn the car off, as the engine stops you hear a definate squeek as it moves off of the springs seperating the 2 halves.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what i heard was a definate squeek from the flywheel side at idle, it wasnt loud or continuous, just ever 5 seconds or so and quietened down after a few minutes at idle. scared to drive it now because im about to MOT it and cant afford cost of a dmf :/

·
Registered
488 Posts
Bought my 407 1.6 hdi with 58k mls and it had a squeeking noise (chirping noise i call it..:) )when engaging the clutch....it was still chirping at 110k mls before the release bearing failed.
i fitted a new dmf/clutch/release bearing while i had the box out.
After checking the old dmf i'd say there was another 20-30k mls left in it..

Saying all that i have 231k mls on my ould 406 td and still waiting for its original clutch to burn out...:eek:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
problem is I have no detailed history with the car so have to assume it has never been done in its lifetime. I would guess though that I am at the very early stages but still worried its a ticking timebomb

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this morning at idle it sounded like the lovely chirping birds under the bonnet, but much quieter and less severe than some of the videos i have seen of cars with same problem. Is there anything else to check that could be the culprit?

aux belt and timing belt litterally just done, but car hasnt drove much at all in the last 6 months, could that be related?

cheers guys

·
Registered
302 Posts
i was also speaking to him in regards to the solid conversion. he was saying he was looking at that also (has same engine as mine) and he said he was looking at the solid conversion untill some of his other taxi driver buddies turned around and said dont do it. apparently it puts more strain on the cam or something...in the end alot of money...best to stick to stock DMF and Clutch kits.
but if you are a taxi diver doing lots and lots and hundreds of miles you can see the point in the long run for something that isnt going to be used all day everyday wouldnt you have thought that it would be better plus have been told that if the dmf does go bang due to the weight of it can take out your gearbox

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes bod, same sound as yours unfortunately but a lot less severe and is only intermittent at the moment. Gonna play it by ear and get it converted to solid as soon as i can afford, i got a really good quote for labour from an ex pug mech who fixed my non start problems so now just to source the kit. any suggestions?

·
Registered
86 Posts
DMF about to fail?

:confused:

Hi all, my 307 has got a kind of squeaky/rattle noise coming from the gearbox area. I have read about this in the forum and everything points to DMF failure. However, I have noticed that the squeak/rattle is mostly heard when the car is cold (quiet when hot after a run) and pressing/depressing the clutch does not make any changes to the noise.

The clutch feels smooth and biting point feels ok too, no vibrations or judder either:thumb:
There is no clutch slip when accelerating real hard too :thumb:

Could it be something else that is causing the noise or should I expect my car to fail whilst driving any time soon? :( Hope not as I'm still a student working part time and paying a loan for it..

Appreciate your answers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drinud, your problem sounds very similar to mine, drove the car today to get tyres, and after it had warmed up the squeak barely existed and the clutch generally seems good and not very juddery. but i did notice once or twice a squeak as i brought the clutch out to move off in first. Im just gonna save for a SMF kit and keep an eye on it. anyone who experienced my symptoms before know how long it will last or definate signs of near failure?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess I have to start saving too. With some luck maybe it will hold for a bit more miles as i'm always easy with the clutch and acceleration so I don't strain everything too much. What I can't understand is that my car's service history shows that the DMF was replaced 11,000miles ago. Is this roughly their expected lifetime?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 307 currently has the DMF squeek as per the YouTube vid posted by Bod.

I had my clutch changed at 106K by Peugeot in 2009 who informed me that it needed to be changed but I didn't know enough about it then so declined to have it done

The car has now done 160K and apart from the squeek I haven't had any issues.
Planning to get it done when the clutch is due again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts