Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my car serviced at the "main stealers" and one of the faults they found was a leaking DPF fluid tank. However they quoted me around £300 pounds to do the job. I declined their offer hoping to find a cheaper price at and independent garage or even doing the job myself. I have been checking the tank and the fluid does appear to be leaking.
Can any tell me what would happen if the tank was to complete empty out?
Also is this something that should be sorted out asap and is this an easy diy job?

J

·
0 Posts
If you lose all the fluid, and it runs out, you will have big problems with the DPF. Get it sorted quickly if it was me :nod:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to bite the bullet and get the jod done asap so I asked the "stealers" for a quote. One quoted me £280 and said it was not the tank but a pouch attached to the tank that needed replacing. I phoned another nearby Pug dealer who quoted me £211 for the same job. I phoned the first one bak and asked for a pricematch (this one is about 30 mins drive nearer to me). The agreed to the price match and I have it booked in for tomorrow.

I have a question they will be refilling the fluid and doing a forced regeneration. I take it they will reset the counters using Peugeot Planet. Does this mean that I should not expect any dpf warning lights (there are none at the moment by the way) for at least 60,000 miles.

I am worried that once I get this done that shortly after the warning lights might come on and leave me at the mercy of the "stealers" again as they now tell me I now need further work done.

Any advice??:(

J

·
0 Posts
If they know what they are doing, they will reset the counters when replacing/refilling... my dealer did anyhow.

What mileage is your car at? Just because you have the fluid topped up doesn't mean you won't have any DPF problems for 60k miles... the fluid will mean they are far less likely to occur, but its not the only part of the system that needs to be working correctly... the dose pump obviously needs to, the fuel filler cap sensor needs to be working, you need your heater plugs to be in good working order to assist in the regen, and then there is the lifetime of the DPF to take into account.... they don't last forever, even with a correctly working system.

Obviously, if you hadn't have the fluid repaired, you would experience problems in no time at all, so you've definitely reduced the likelihood of issues, even if not completely eliminated them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mileage is 68000k but car is in very good condition with full mosty main dealer service history and has done mostly motorway miles.

JMKent do you think I got a good price?

J

·
0 Posts
Don't think you did too bad... cost me £142 for mine to be refilled at the 80k interval. That was just for fluid and labour, whereas it sounds like you needs parts too. My dealer does seem quite a bit cheaper than what a lot of the guys on here get quoted though.

At that mileage, so long as nothing fails, you should have plenty more miles left until you get problems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took my car in this morning. Got a phone call a few hours later to say that the dealers had found another leak! They said this was possibly a diesel leak and that they need to remove the carpet to investigate. The best part of this was that they needed another £48 to investigate. Obviously I told them where to go!! I had only brought the car in on their say so after they had advised that there was a dpf tank leak following my recent service visit to them.
I told them I was not going to fork out another £48 for them to investigate a fault which they shoud have picked on their first inspection. They should have identified the cause of the leak previously.
Iwas beginning to wonder if they had correctly diagnosed the cause of the leak in the first place. The last thing I wanted was to have the dpf pouch changed and refilled only to find drips of fluid on the drive the next morning.
In the end they assured me that it was the dpf pouch that was leaking and duly replaced this. But not after delaying the work as the y apparantly had ordered the wrong part and had to get the correct one from a nearby dealer.
At one point they were going to keep the car in overnight if they could finish the job in time.

Anyway I now have(I think) a new pouch full of eloys fluid. However I am worried that this may not be the last of it.

Anybody else had or heard of a "diesel leak" in he same area as the dpf tank?:confused:

J

·
0 Posts
The eolys fluid is pumped into the diesel tank, so the two are very close by and interconnected. I can't for the life of me know why they would want to remove the carpet to investigate, as that won't get them anywhere... the pipes are all underneath the car, or can be accessed on top the tank from under the rear seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... makes me wonder if the eloys tank did need replacing or whether the fluid leak was diesel now. Is this just another main stealer ruse to get paid twice one for the dpf "leak" and then again to fix the actual leak which is probably diesel.
If I do still have a leak I will be doing my darndest to get them to fix this for free. Otherwise I can see myself taking this further.

Does this sound reasonable?

J

·
0 Posts
To be honest, if it was a diesel leak, it would have been easily identified as diesel has a strong smell, and the eolys fluid doesn't... plus the two are very different types of fluid too.

Unfortunately, its experiences like this that give the 'stealers' the bad name... luckily, they aren't all that bad... mine won't do any work on the car unless they are sure it is the problem... maybe to try and avoid possible situations like what you are facing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
!! Reminder to self !! Dont buy another Peugeot !! If I do dont buy a Peugeot Diesel ( Fragile electrics & a Dodgy DPF system ) (Dont but a manual gearbox --Fragile DMF's )Dont go to a Peugeot main dealer ( I've just found a nice little Independent , near me )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Not to mention the obvious decrease in MPG, and increase in fuel cost.
Thanks for the comments I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt for now as I cannot detect any strong odour and I am still getting an overall
51.3 mpg.(Although I must admit my driving style is very ecofriendly).

Fingers crossed!!!

D

·
0 Posts
I'm interested in figuring out about why people complain so much about the dealer costs and them being thieving wan**rs that you actually go any buy a new car at all.
Every single day of the week I get people into the garage, yes a main Peugeot dealer bitching and mouthing off about the cost of this and that. Most of these people have already been to ten Fred in the sheds already who have f**ked the car up even worse and have releived you of even more money and you don't even realise it. The dealer then gets the brunt of the rage when they give a price for a proper repair of the problem. That is returning the car to original manufacturer spec not a mickey mouse job done by some of these jokes that call themselves mechanics. These same people just throw parts at problems, wash out your particle filter because it definitey was blocked because he knows all about them etc, oh and you need a fuel filter and front and rear brake pads. Yes that'll cure your depollution system faulty light.

Deep breath. Ahhhhhhh! Relief.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm interested in figuring out about why people complain so much about the dealer costs and them being thieving wan**rs that you actually go any buy a new car at all.
Every single day of the week I get people into the garage, yes a main Peugeot dealer bitching and mouthing off about the cost of this and that. Most of these people have already been to ten Fred in the sheds already who have f**ked the car up even worse and have releived you of even more money and you don't even realise it. The dealer then gets the brunt of the rage when they give a price for a proper repair of the problem. That is returning the car to original manufacturer spec not a mickey mouse job done by some of these jokes that call themselves mechanics. These same people just throw parts at problems, wash out your particle filter because it definitey was blocked because he knows all about them etc, oh and you need a fuel filter and front and rear brake pads. Yes that'll cure your depollution system faulty light.

Deep breath. Ahhhhhhh! Relief.
Wasn't going to respond to this but the events of this morning(see separate message below) compel me to reply.
davidireland you are missing the point here. Firstly buying a brand new car from the dealership and getting your car repaired/serviced from them are 2 totally separate services. The majority of complaints are about the quality of work done on cars once purchased not about the new car buying experience. Incidently we are not spoilt for choice when purchasing a new car. Apart from a few independent retailers the majority of new car stock is held by the dealerships so where else would we go?

Secondly this forum exists so that fellow Peugoet owners can share their experiences which in turn may help others in the same situation. I believe that these are genuine experiences of impartial and independent Peugeot owners who have "no axe to grind". They are merely "telling it as it is". I am sure if they had taken their vehicle to another garage prior to going to the dealership this would have been mentioned.

Unfortunatley your comments have no value as they are not impartial (you yourself say that you work for a Peugeot dealership) and say nothing about the current thread topic.:eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts