Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a Peugeot 407 SW 1.6HDI 2007
The DPF filter is blocked.
I took it to my local garage and they tried burning the blockage out but were unsuccessfull and I was told that its over 90% blocked.
My car has no power with this fault, I sometimes have to change down to 2nd gear going up hill!

I was told that replacing the DPF is VERY expensive, so whats the best options?
I saw this DPF on ebay: YCP11103 1127 DIESEL PARTICULAR FILTER/DPF FOR PEUGEOT 407 1.6 09/2004-
I'm tempted to buy it and get my local mechanic to fit it, but can someone please advise if this is the correct filter and if i need to replace or fix anything else to get my car up and running again?

Also is this blocked filter the reason for low power in the engine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Would recommend getting it hooked up to Plant and having any fault codes read.

If the filter is Blocked, i guess the engine has dropped into limp mode but the only way to be certain is to have the codes read check out who is close to you on here .

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
As above the DPF is only blocked because there is something else wrong so clean the DPF it wont need replaced forced regens dont work very well and if you just replace it with new you will simply have the same problem again.

Once it is cleaned regularly take it a good run at a steady speed to get it nice and warm this will regen it IF it is capable of regening
you need to look into all the DPF parameters and find what the REAL problem is.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Gauging by the age of these cars, wouldn't the DPF block up due to natural causes? When a regen happens, it doesn't burn off 100% of the soot, it only burns the soot into a smaller volume, eventually, over time, it would block up and require a DPF clean, i.e, physically removing the DPF and cleaning it out.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
No that is untrue my 307 estate has 164000 miles on it and to the best of my knowledge the DPF is the original i have done 6k miles in it in 3 months and it regens every 3-400 miles fine its HOW the car is driven that matters i do plenty long journeys at motorway speeds others potter about town in too high a gear

Guess who has the most issues :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I agree with reliable. My 307 sw had 158000 on it when I fitted a new DPF. Only did that as I thought it was overdue and got a good deal from cats2u for a new one. Took the old one off and it looked fine! Oh well! 1.6 hdi as well. Spent the first 94k on the motorway which probably helped, together with 6k oil changes. The only DPF related problem I've had has been with the high speed fan relay going faulty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My 406 2,0 hdi has done 198000 with the same DPF.
Never been any issues at all.
A modern diesel engines worst enemy is cold starts and short trips.
The engine does'nt work as i should before the engine temp is 90C.
I drive around 16000 miles a year, this justifies having a diesel.
If you drive less than that buy a petrol.
So the problem with yor DPF, is most likely to many short trips under 15 miles. Maybe your car idles to much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
DPF internals

The above thread is probably terminated due to time, but I would like to put down some recent experience gained with internals of DPFs fitted to my 307 1.6 hdi SW. Firstly the OE fit it seems to be a split unit, many of which have been replaced over the years with a non split type. Both types have a cat at the top and a ceramic honeycombe dpf at the bottom. The dpf in the split type could be cleaned by a pressure washer i guess as the dpf part can be removed leaving the cat part in the car. I can not see how a non split tyoe dpf can be cleaned by a pressure washer, as any pressure washing would be through he exit pipe and water and soot would end up in the cat. Please correct me anyone if my assumption on this is incorrect and indeed there is a way on pressure washing the non split type commonly fitted as a replacement to the split type unit.?

I also invite comments on my discovery after opening up two non split types by hacksaw that the size of holes vary, one had holes of 3/64 in diam the other has holes slightly larger of about 3/32 in, also pictures of dismantled split type indicate even larger diameter in the honeycombe of the OE dpf. Why the difference? I would have thought the holes would be of a standard size, and smaller be disadvantage as they would block easier? So in buying a non split type you may be fitting a dpf more prone to blockage than the OE split type and some non split types may block easier than others, further there seems to be inconsistency regarding hole size which is disconcerting as these units are not cheap and faith in their design may lead to premature blocking compared to the the OE split type!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Other way around. Initial DPF's had the catalytic converter integrated. When people realised the DPF could need replacing but were forced to replace an expensive cat with it.... Peugeot came out with the split design :thumb:

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
No thats not correct its actually other way round first DPFs were 2 piece IE 1 piece DPF other piece cat bolted together with 4 bolts ALL early cars had this set up

607 406 807 etc all had 2 piece DPF even the DV6 engines are 2 piece i recon the 1 piece ones are aftermarket relacements as i dont recall seeing a 1 piece one except on cars with a seperarate cat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts