Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded the firmware to PSA_ovip-int-firmware-version_21-07-16-32_NAC-r0_NAC_EUR_WAVE2 when it appeared on the servers back in May and since then I have experienced various problems with the Blue Tooth connection to my Samsung S8 (Disconnecting and garbled calls). Reading back on various topics associated with the firmware I saw that the version I had installed was removed from the servers sometime after I had installed it and a possible reason was Blue Tooth connection problems.
So yesterday I decided to install the previous (Stable or so it seems) firmware. I downloaded PSA_ovip-int-firmware-version_21-06-47-34_NAC-r0_NAC_EUR_WAVE2 and unziped the files (Folder 'SWL' and all its sub-folders plus UpdateInfo.xml) then copied them onto a newly formatted 32GB memory stick (The same one I have used to update the map files twice and the firmware previously). When I insert the memory stick into the cars USB socket I receive the normal error window regarding no media files found but then instead of opening a window asking me if I want to proceed with the firmware update the system just reverts back to whatever screen was showing prior to inserting the memory stick.
I have tried with creating a LICENSE folder and inserting the license file and have tried various memory sticks both with and without the LICENSE folder. I have tried while connected to my household broadband and while not connected but relying upon the cars own Internet connection (TomTom showing in the lower RH corner) but I have now exhausted all of my thoughts on how to achieve the downgrade of the firmware so I am now open to suggestions from the forum.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
As with most computer systems once its upgraded it wont generally let you go back the system is looking at the software seeing its to old and not bothering doing anything with it.

As i have said in the past latest is NOT always best.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As with most computer systems once its upgraded it wont generally let you go back the system is looking at the software seeing its to old and not bothering doing anything with it.

As i have said in the past latest is NOT always best.
As this is a screw up by the PSA software dept (it has to be otherwise they would not have withdrawn the firmware) I would hope that there is some way of installing the earlier firmware version. I am also advised by the 'MyPeugeot' app that my 'Vehicle touch screen' requires updating to Version 21.06.47.34_NAC-r0 - 01/12/2017 which suggest to me that there must be a method of carrying this out.

I have also contacted the Peugeot customer care team for help on this.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
I would expect peugeot not to have a clue how to do it :)

Its highly likely the only way is to start again from scratch but that would involve teaching someone in the dealership how to work a PC properly !

I have always been in the dont upgrade until you KNOW it works camp so many people think everything must be the latest versions and then when it all goes wrong they blame the software when if they had just left alone it would have been fine.

Peugeot and technical gadgets do not work well together they just dont seem to be able to get things quite right.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks but no thanks as your response is of no use whatsoever.

Any computers/processor controlled devices you own must be a godsend for any decent hacker or virus maker if you don’t believe in updating software/firmware.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I don't think it is possible to downgrade system/firmware as you can do with the cartography/maps. And that's because of what you can find at the FirmwareList.ini and the DataList.ini files, on the firmware and maps updates, respectively. That "ALLOW_DOWNGRADES \" isn't present on the former. One could edit that file and append that line, recalculate the md5sum hash of that edited file and update that info on the HashList.ini file. The problem would be to do the same in the MediaVersion.ini file WRT HashList.ini, which is digitally signed...

Anyway, once they did remove one update from the PSA server, version 21.05.68.24 (early 2017), but the 21.07.16.32 version is still there: https://majestic-web.mpsa.com/nas/e...-version_21-07-16-32_NAC-r0_NAC_EUR_WAVE2.tar
That version just doesn't show as the latest on the Peugeot site/MyPeugeot app, which is completely different... But that problem of - MyPeugeot/site announce version "X", install version "X", now MyPeugeot/site shows version "X-1" as the latest - isn't new. In fact I've upgraded about 7 time each firmware and maps, and about half times that problem occurred to me. I don't think there is a catastrophic problem with that version, exactly because the file is still there - you could also generate and download the key/license of that version - and because they already removed an old version.

I'm using that 21.07.16.32 version without problems, specially WRT bluetooth, that I use daily. I did receive the notification, on MyPeugeot, about that version, which now shows the 21.06.47.34 version as the latest. I just ignore it.

About your problem, you don't have many options - wait for a new firmware version, try another phone or try Peugeot if they can downgrade it... I'm sure there's a way to force install whatever files are on the flash drive, not so sure if Peugeot dealers know about it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks once again Rui for your knowledgeable response. I will wait to see if I get anywhere with my request to Peugeot Customer Care and will post any reply I receive from them.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
So basically he tells you the same thing i do in a more technically full way and he gets thank you i get piss off :)

Even HE said he is NOT doing some upgrade its telling him to do !!

He also hinted at the fact the dealers wont know what to do as i did.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm not entering this debate Jim but the few occasions I have contacted Customer Service I have been advised to contact my local dealer which seems to be a stock answer for them.

You say you downloaded firmware in May but version 21-06-47-34_NAC_EUR_WAVE2.tar was issued on 30th June. I’m not sure if that is still available for download but what about trying an upgrade instead of a downgrade?

Forget second para, I may hve skipped some of your original post!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have had my 3008 GT Line 1.6 EAT6 for just over 2 weeks now.
It came with firmware version 21.07.16.32_NAC-r10 which is dated 2018-04-23
The phone app is telling me that an upgrade to version 21-06-47-34_NAC-r0 is available, but I have not tried this (yet).

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could use an old trick to make the older version look like an upgrade.

Extract the version you want to "upgrade" to, edit the UpdateInfo.xml and change the UpdateVersion to be newer.

So on the removed version, the string is <UpdateVersion>21.07.16.32_NAC-r0</UpdateVersion>, so if you change the build you want to use to be something like <UpdateVersion>21.07.16.32_NAC-r1</UpdateVersion> and save that out and give it a try.

It may think that the older build is newer and try to upgrade it.

However I'm not sure if this would work or end up with a hot mess that needs a new head unit installed to fix. It up to you as to how you want to proceed.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It wouldn't work because most files are digitally signed and their contents are stored, as md5sum hash's, in "checksum" files.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, but from the looks of it, that UpdateInfo.xml file has no CRC check for it, the others do in the update directory, but not that one, so its all down to the loader and what it checks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have decided to just live with what I have and wait (Most probably will be a long one, I know) but thanks for all the responses including reliable406's to who I owe an apology but my excuse is that it was late, I was frustrated with trying all ways to downgrade and I was just grumpy.

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
Its fine i am used to being disliked sometimes my posts can be a bit abrupt and to the point its just how i am.

I stand by what i say though updates are not always worth doing why be the tester and suffer the issues when you can wait till you KNOW its worth doing.

I had a 307 with sat nav maps were 6 years out of date but it worked perfectly fine otherwise guy i sold it to updated it and it kept loosing satellite signal to the point it was useless !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I upgraded the firmware to PSA_ovip-int-firmware-version_21-07-16-32_NAC-r0_NAC_EUR_WAVE2 when it appeared on the servers back in May and since then I have experienced various problems with the Blue Tooth connection to my Samsung S8 (Disconnecting and garbled calls). Reading back on various topics associated with the firmware I saw that the version I had installed was removed from the servers sometime after I had installed it and a possible reason was Blue Tooth connection problems.
So yesterday I decided to install the previous (Stable or so it seems) firmware. I downloaded PSA_ovip-int-firmware-version_21-06-47-34_NAC-r0_NAC_EUR_WAVE2 and unziped the files (Folder 'SWL' and all its sub-folders plus UpdateInfo.xml) then copied them onto a newly formatted 32GB memory stick (The same one I have used to update the map files twice and the firmware previously). When I insert the memory stick into the cars USB socket I receive the normal error window regarding no media files found but then instead of opening a window asking me if I want to proceed with the firmware update the system just reverts back to whatever screen was showing prior to inserting the memory stick.
I have tried with creating a LICENSE folder and inserting the license file and have tried various memory sticks both with and without the LICENSE folder. I have tried while connected to my household broadband and while not connected but relying upon the cars own Internet connection (TomTom showing in the lower RH corner) but I have now exhausted all of my thoughts on how to achieve the downgrade of the firmware so I am now open to suggestions from the forum.
I don't think your bluetooth issues have anything to do with the firmware of the car. My similar issues sounds like yours, and started after upgrading to Android 8. I have the "old" firmware 21-06-47-34 and experience metallic/garbled audio in calls and connectivity issues.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think your bluetooth issues have anything to do with the firmware of the car. My similar issues sounds like yours, and started after upgrading to Android 8. I have the "old" firmware 21-06-47-34 and experience metallic/garbled audio in calls and connectivity issues.
You could be correct with that as I also did an upgrade to the operating system of my phone.

To update everyone on this, I decided to completely reset the infotainment system last weekend and have received and sent calls from my phone without any problems BUT what I had not taken into account was that everything would be reset back to basics even though there was a warning on the screen as I was doing it. I carried out the reset and then switched the car off and left it. The next day I set off and after a mile or so noticed my speed was indicating 65 as I was in a 30 limit and cameras are prolific where I live a quick panic ensued before the realisation that the speedo was in kph and not mph. No problem thought I as I know where that setting is so started tapping the screen. Found the setting and reset to mph, problem solved or so it was until I tapped what I thought was return and all of both displays went totally blank. I now had no display at all not kph or mph and was now on a road with no where to stop safely so continued on using the cruise control to limit my speed. What I had touched was the screen brightness control and had managed to turn it right down.
The moral of all this is don’t fiddle with settings whist driving and check everything after a system reset.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts