Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the 307 a few months ago with the knowledge that the clutch has never been looked at and will more than likely need changing sometime in the near future, but I am confused.
I have read about the advantages on the double mass flywheel in keeping noise and vibration down. I have also read that a single fly wheel is a lot cheaper to replace.
But this raises questions, whilst many posters here comment that the single mass fly wheel has transformed the car I feel that they are perhaps missing the point in that they have replaced a knackered part thus anything newer will be a vast improvement. Or have I got that wrong?
How much more vibration and noise is there if I had the car changed to a single fly wheel?
I assume that it is always best to change the double mass flywheel whenever changing the clutch even if it is not worn out. What are your thoughts on this please?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Due to the work and costs involved in getting to and from the clutch, its deemed better to replace a dual mass flywheel when doing a clutch replacement. A single mass unit wont need replacing, probably never, hence its cheaper all round. Its a contentious issue which is best way to go D/Mass or single as you have seen. The choice will be yours.

·
Registered
169 Posts
what is the benefit of a dual mass flywheel.

i have a solid one in mine and i dont seem to get any vibration
It's only fitted to the higher powered Hdi models generally, although some of the newer models may well have them on other versions. People have different opinions on their worth, some say it's just a way of selling more expensive aftersales parts. (dmf and clutch kit costs 3x clutch kit for smf) I've fitted many valeo smf kits to replace dmfs on several makes of cars and they've all driven perfectly.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel the idea that the manufacture installing DMFs to try and claw back some money later in the cars life as not quite ringing true. My father worked in Fords and always installed in me to put back all the screws I took out when maintain a car. Why because every part of penny saved by not installing a screw would count towards a larger profit over a models production run. The same could be said with a DMF, they did install it for a reason and it must have a huge cost into profit margins, Peugeot are not the only manufacture who install these either.
Sterion75 I feel has nailed it, it will come down to me, and that decision will more than likely come down to money.
I cannot find much information on the web about what the use of the DMFs are for so thanks for the information clanless. I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that if you like quick get-a-ways, from the lights, then it is a sure way of ruining a DMF quickly. Me I am an old slow coach

I cannot yet send PMs so I hope this is ok goa127: You are missing a T in your location.

Thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm not talking about peugeot making money here. They don't make the clutches and flywheels, LUK or Valeo do. People in the motor trade don't buy these sort of parts through main dealers, they buy from wholesalers who buy direct from the manufacturers. Before DMFs most clutches bought once the vehicle was say 5 years old were patterned ones. Now DMFs are generally only made by the original manufactuters, and they're not cheap. Whatever the mechanical benifits of DMFs the financial benifit to LUK has been enourmous. Happy coincidence?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not talking about peugeot making money here. They don't make the clutches and flywheels, LUK or Valeo do. People in the motor trade don't buy these sort of parts through main dealers, they buy from wholesalers who buy direct from the manufacturers. Before DMFs most clutches bought once the vehicle was say 5 years old were patterned ones. Now DMFs are generally only made by the original manufactuters, and they're not cheap. Whatever the mechanical benifits of DMFs the financial benifit to LUK has been enourmous. Happy coincidence?
Maybe they give them away for free or next to nothing to all car manufactures?:eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
yes, I imagine there's little or no extra cost to the car manufacturer. The extra cost aftermarket is because with a solid flywheel you don't normally ever change it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It stops the engine shuddering at start up and shut down - the dmf springs take the shock - not the engine.
So would a dmf on the way out (one which is squeeking) make the car judder/shake on startup and shutdown? Ours seems to judder a fair bit on start up whereas my astra dti starts nice and smooth.

·
Registered
369 Posts
So would a dmf on the way out (one which is squeeking) make the car judder/shake on startup and shutdown? Ours seems to judder a fair bit on start up whereas my astra dti starts nice and smooth.
They don’t always squeak when worn. Mine didn't give any shaking but the bite point of the clutch was moving making the clutch judder and very easy to stall. The pedal bite point was moving up and down a fair amount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts