Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a really dumb question but does a 806 petrol engine have spark plugs? i really feel like i am being fooled by mechanics, first i had the clutch problem and my mobile mechanic said he can't fit a clutch as it needs to go into a garage due to some frame needs removing a mate of his quoted minimum £300 labour plus parts, then it started firing on 3 cylinders so i put it up for sale, a mechanic came to see it and he reckoned the clutch was a easy fix but was more concerned about it firing on 3 cylinders, he plugged in his diagnostic gismo and reckoned it was not showing up any faults so must be a burnt exhaust valve then it suddenly come to me, years ago when i was young enough to play with cars they had spark plugs, do modern injector engines still have spark plugs? the mechanic who came to buy it has badgered the price down to £100 but did not come and buy tonight as planned, i put it back on Gumtree and someone reported my ad and it was removed (apparently a Peugeot 806 should be in the van section) just got this feeling he will get back tomorrow with a even lower offer, if my car has spark plugs then surely you would check there first or does the injector have a built in spark? sorry for the stupidity but i don't know

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If it has developed a mis fire suddenly I would be thinking faulty coil or spark plug (yes it has 4 plugs!) rather than burnt exhaust valve. Think it would be best to book it in to a Peugeot independent, I'm sceptical of the advice you're getting.

·
11,838 Posts
Agree, you're just been seen as a soft target by unscrupulous people in the trade so they can make more profit.

You don't mention which engine you have, but I checked the 1.8 and 2L and they both have plugs and a coil pack. This is the 1.8:

·
Registered
884 Posts
All petrol engines have spark plugs,806`s even have plug leads.
I would expect the misfire to be something elementary like the plugs,leads or coil pack ?
Highly unlikely its an engine problem,I`ve never known an XU petrol engine burn a valve.
Find yourself a decent Peugeot/Citroen small independent who will give the engine a proper diagnosis and an honest quote for the clutch.

The clutch is a long subframe off job,not the sort of job your mobile mechanic would want to do on his back in your driveway.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
Clutch can be done without removing subframe there is just enough room to do it if gearbox is moved as far as possible away from engine

Subframe removal is the LAST resort in my opinion engine removal is far quicker even though it sounds a big task subframe removal can easily end in tears due to captive bolts snapping in chassis i can have the complete engine and box out in 3 hours as you remove the whole front of car then access is easy.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Clutch can be done without removing subframe there is just enough room to do it if gearbox is moved as far as possible away from engine

Subframe removal is the LAST resort in my opinion engine removal is far quicker even though it sounds a big task subframe removal can easily end in tears due to captive bolts snapping in chassis i can have the complete engine and box out in 3 hours as you remove the whole front of car then access is easy.
So three hours to get the Engine out three back in plus the time changing the clutch Plus parts
So the £300 labour is probably about right at a Garage

When it is very dark Lift bonnet with engine started check to see if you have sparks jumping from leads anywhere (shorting out of leads )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts