Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all Peugeot enthusiasts here.
I`m new here and wanted to ask a few things.
As the title says how hot do your cars get?
First the question is only for 2.0HDI 90HP!!!
I bought the car second hand and that is why i don`t know if
this is normal.
I will put a few pics where my needle stays in different conditions.

1.On the first pic is where the gauge normally stays with open thermostat.
But if i get in the traffic it easily goes to "pic No 2" and never goes back to position "No 1",just stays there.

2.On the highway if i go about 75Mph the temperature stays in position "No 2" and fluctuate about 1mm front to back,but if i climb a hill it will go to position "No 3" and will come back to "No 2" after i flat(leveled) road.

3.And last if i try to keep up 90+ Mph the gauge goes to position "No 4" and even more if there is a climb,and this is for no-more then 1-2 min MAX.The temp does not stabilize and i`m afraid that if i keep the speed for more then 5 min or if i have to climb with this speed the temp will go to the RED and i may damage the engine.

Sorry for the long and boring post but i tried to explain the Temp in different conditions.
Last to say all the reference i gave,are with 30deg Celsius outside temperature.
I do not think that it is normal for the temperature to go that High.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why no one answer?
It is not a tech question!
Just post where your needle stays normally.
If I did not post in the right category,just tell me.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Maybe worth changing your coolant - good time to do it in the summer, you can use water for a while (no risk of freezing) to see if this makes a difference

Does your fan click in at any point?

Try changing to temperature sensor - it may be on its way out

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a petrol 2003 model not a Diesel, but mine was doing the same a few months ago, I changed the sensor, the coolant and the thermostat valve and even back flushed the system, still overheated, until I changed the radiator as even after multiple back-flushes it was still full of gunk. On the petrol version the radiator cost me under £60 and not had a heating issues since. Now mine rarely goes above 92.

I would try each thing in turn like I did, firstly drain the system and try back flushing it to get any gunk out, you may have to try doing this a few times to get as much out as you can, then initially refill with water (remembering to bleed the system to remove air) If that fixes it then drain out some of the water and fill with proper coolant. If it doesn't then you may have to replace the sensor, the thermostat valve or the radiator, all of which should be fairly easy to do (I managed it and I know nothing about cars)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your temperature gauge should get to operating temperature (for my 407 and my Alfa 159, this is around 90 degrees Celcius) and pretty much stay there for all driving, unless you are towing a heavy load, uphill for a prolonged period, and even then it shouldn't get close to the 'red' zone.....
Something is not right with your cooling system. You need to get it checked out because if you keep driving with high temps you will damage the engine.
What does your oil temperature gauge read?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thanks for the reply.
I do not have oil temp gauge.
Till now I have drained and flushed the system.Changed the coolant,thermostat and water pump,but there is absolutely no difference after that.I'm thinking for the coolant radiator first,but I'm afraid that may have a head gasket issue. This is why I ask for someone with the same engine for reference. I have a friend with the same car and his one runs very hot too,but maybe not that hot.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
If you don't know when the car last had a service then I would be giving it a service

Change and flush coolant make sure you bleed air out
Change oil and filter
Air filter
Diesel filter
Pollen filter
When was timing belt and water pump done
Check gearbox oil

A well maintained car will be more reliable and last much longer

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
First thanks for the reply.
I do not have oil temp gauge.
Till now I have drained and flushed the system.Changed the coolant,thermostat and water pump,but there is absolutely no difference after that.I'm thinking for the coolant radiator first,but I'm afraid that may have a head gasket issue. This is why I ask for someone with the same engine for reference. I have a friend with the same car and his one runs very hot too,but maybe not that hot.
If you suspect head gasket then get a sniff test on water to test for exhaust gas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car had full service not more than 10k till now.All the fluids,filters and belts are Changed. As I said water pump and thermostat too.I try to keep all of my cars as relyble as they can.That is why I want to get to the bottom of this issue.The main thing is that I have a friend that haves the same car with the same engine and his car is running very hot too,but maybe not that hot.And every different brand with it's own engine have different behavior of the temp.And that is why I want to get info for the 307 2.0 90hp.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
If it was head gasket the engine temp would rise and the heater would go cold the coolant would be pressurised and if you remove the cap even an hour later there would be lots of pressure.

Head gaskets on these engines are actually pretty good so its doubtful unless you have allowed it to get very hot.

Cooling fan should come on to maintain the 90 degrees does it ?

Are you in a hot country ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm from Bulgaria but the temp is about 31 degrees.The fan kicks in but I think it is about 105 degrees.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Why no one answer?
While you have now received some replies you have to realise that this is a forum who's members are predominantly ordianary people who own Peugeots and have gained experience over time and use the forum to increase their knowledge and help other members if and when they can. You also need to understand that the forum is not monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week by people just waiting for the next question to be asked.

The time you waited between your first and second (impatient) post was nine and a half hours. Many people will read the initial post but not have an answer they feel will help. You simply have to wait until someone who can help you logs on and reads the post. If you want instant service then take the car to a garage or the dealer and pay for it.

Take a look at the FAQ for new members - especially the last paragraph of point number 6

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
I would change the radiator if the coolant pipes are not getting rock solid and showing signs of compression gases as i already explained earlier as since you are in a hot climate you will no doubt not be using the heater so the car only has the rad to cool it.

In the uk we tend to have heaters on so this takes some heat away from engine but 90 is about normal which is half way on gauge or just over sometimes.

Try running it with heater on full see if it runs a little cooler if it does then engine is just not getting enough cooling from the radiator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While you have now received some replies you have to realise that this is a forum who's members are predominantly ordianary people who own Peugeots and have gained experience over time and use the forum to increase their knowledge and help other members if and when they can. You also need to understand that the forum is not monitored 24 hours a day, seven days a week by people just waiting for the next question to be asked.

The time you waited between your first and second (impatient) post was nine and a half hours. Many people will read the initial post but not have an answer they feel will help. You simply have to wait until someone who can help you logs on and reads the post. If you want instant service then take the car to a garage or the dealer and pay for it.

Take a look at the FAQ for new members - especially the last paragraph of point number 6

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/introductions-28/brief-faq-guide-new-members-83170/

Hi.
First of all,I regret I did not want to be inpatient.
Sorry if someone got me wrong.
But my question is not "Technical" and just "ordinary".Every one has this,gauges and
there is no chance no one looking at them.I just want to know where the needle lay.
And yes i know that the forum is not monitored 24h a day,but that is why you have count on the people that have read the post!?If you ask what is the weather outside,and 50 members read your post,but no one answer so definitely want to answer!
Thanks to everyone that answered my post.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Hi.
First of all,I regret I did not want to be inpatient.
Sorry if someone got me wrong.
But my question is not "Technical" and just "ordinary".Every one has this,gauges and
there is no chance no one looking at them.I just want to know where the needle lay.
And yes i know that the forum is not monitored 24h a day,but that is why you have count on the people that have read the post!?If you ask what is the weather outside,and 50 members read your post,but no one answer so definitely want to answer!
Thanks to everyone that answered my post.

Cheers!
You obviously didn't read the FAQ as you would then have seen the bit that comments on read count. Every search engine that looks at the page will add to the count. Even if the search has nothing to do with the topic, if the search engine accesses the page the read count will increase. Just because it says the post has been read 50 times it doesn't mean that 50 people have actually read it.

I read the post but I no longer have a 307 so will not comment on something I cannot confirm, But by your reply you expect me to answer just because I read the post. Good luck with that - that kind of expectation will just bring in replies that could be well off the mark.

The main point of my reply was that waiting just 9.5 hours - the vast majority of it overnight when most people are in bed asleep then whinging because nobody has replied is just rude bordering on ignorance. Had you waited a few more hours the replies would have started to arrive.

·
11,731 Posts
Why no one answer?
This is a forum with predominantly UK members.

You posted at almost 9pm UK time, when most of us are offline.

You then posted this before 7am, again when most are offline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts