Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused::mad:

Hi all, got a 307 1.6HDi 110 which had a DMF failure 3 months ago. Bought an original replacement and clutch kit from our Peugeot agent and got everything fitted for about 700euros :(. Lately the squeeking and rattling came back and Peugeot diagnosed it as a faulty DMF so they provided me a new part under warranty with me incurring the costs for labour(150euros). Picked up the car today and sounded fine. After driving home just 10miles away I began feeling the judder in the clutch pedal and sure enough the rattle is clearly back especially when I turn the engine off. Is this even possible with a 10mile old DMF? Completely baffled and don't know what else to do apart from selling the car(which would break my heart as I really love my 307)

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks guys

D

·
0 Posts
Alot of them have these squeaks and rattles. It doesn't mean they're failing.
To be blatently honest, I'd be looking at your driving style if you having so many DMF failures.

·
Registered
556 Posts
+1 but i really doubt after 10 miles anything could be faulty unless you red lined it all the way with the clutch half way down.
If indeed something is definitely going to drop off i would suggest that they hadn't done the job properly.
Our 307 is great and i had to replace the clutch last year which is all good but despite this the handbag still holds the bite at junctions and that really winds me up! Especially on hills.
The car bugs me in 2 ways,1 is the horrible whine the starter motor gives(I'm waiting for it to pack up lol)
And 2, when we turn off the engine it blobs to a stop quite heavily.
I don't know if any of that helps but your car may be fine??
Can you post a vid?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be blatently honest, I'd be looking at your driving style if you having so many DMF failures.
So I should just live with the rattle? :/ the car is well taken care of and where I live there is no chance that I would be able to abuse it even if I wanted to.

D

·
0 Posts
So I should just live with the rattle? :/ the car is well taken care of and where I live there is no chance that I would be able to abuse it even if I wanted to.
I fairness I don't know how loud or pronounced the rattle is so I can't judge.
All I know is that driving style is a major contributor to DMF failure.

As an example the 1.6hdi 110bhp engine with DMF and with controlled manual gearbox ie no clutch pedal never gives DMF problems and never has squeaks or rattles as the clutch is operation is optimized by the gearbox ecu. What I'm getting at is the driver operation on the clutch is most of the problem.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fairness I don't know how loud or pronounced the rattle is so I can't judge.
All I know is that driving style is a major contributor to DMF failure.

As an example the 1.6hdi 110bhp engine with DMF and with controlled manual gearbox ie no clutch pedal never gives DMF problems and never has squeaks or rattles as the clutch is operation is optimized by the gearbox ecu. What I'm getting at is the driver operation on the clutch is most of the problem.
What exactly is the type of driving style that would most probably cause DMF failure? Although I'm pretty sure that my driving style is not the problem as its impossible that I would have caused it to fail in just 10 miles!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 but i really doubt after 10 miles anything could be faulty unless you red lined it all the way with the clutch half way down.
If indeed something is definitely going to drop off i would suggest that they hadn't done the job properly.
Our 307 is great and i had to replace the clutch last year which is all good but despite this the handbag still holds the bite at junctions and that really winds me up! Especially on hills.
The car bugs me in 2 ways,1 is the horrible whine the starter motor gives(I'm waiting for it to pack up lol)
And 2, when we turn off the engine it blobs to a stop quite heavily.
I don't know if any of that helps but your car may be fine??
Can you post a vid?
Your second point about the engine stopping heavily is something that I also noticed and its at that point that I hear this rattle mostly. Will take a vid tomorrow morning :thumb:

·
Registered
121 Posts
i had a mondeo tdci once that they say suffered with dmf failure,i had car from new and did 137/000 miles in it and never had a new clutch or dmf and it was still quiet and good when i got rid,i always start the car with clutch down and turn it off with clutch down as i was told once that this takes stress off the dmf when starting and shutting down,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Was gona say the same ,is the 307 remapped ? Peugeots are not bad cars ive found more times than enough its peoples driving style that causes alot of the problems:thumb:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was gona say the same ,is the 307 remapped ? Peugeots are not bad cars ive found more times than enough its peoples driving style that causes alot of the problems:thumb:
The 307 is completely standard. I agree that the driving style will have an impact on the car but surely not in just 10 miles? :(

D

·
0 Posts
That actually sounds bad. and you had a new flywheel and clutch kit fitted?
Why not fit a single mass flywheel, you'd have no rattles ever again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That actually sounds bad. and you had a new flywheel and clutch kit fitted?
Why not fit a single mass flywheel, you'd have no rattles ever again.
Yes new DMF and clutch only 10 miles old can't believe this is happening to me and I'm fed up of having to take the car to the garage to take the gearbox out (already twice in a few months) at my expense when the part is under warranty!

No SMF kits available here I'm afraid

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not sure that sounds bad at all to me, the dmf does have springs and does wobble on tickover it is usually quieter higher up the range, what does yours sound like when driving?
Ours does that bit at the end.
Tbh the vid is a bit short and at close range so it just sounds normal but a bit loud.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes new DMF and clutch only 10 miles old can't believe this is happening to me and I'm fed up of having to take the car to the garage to take the gearbox out (already twice in a few months) at my expense when the part is under warranty!

No SMF kits available here I'm afraid

you want to make sure the fly wheel bolts have been torqued up propperly , ive just done one today that another garage had done and the bolts were loose from not being tightened enough:eek:the rattle was the flywheel shaking back and forward, i rang the garage who done the work and the mechanic said he just wapped them in with a windy gun but didnt want to go to hard incase it broke his t50 torx :eek::eek::rolleyes: what ever happened to a torque wrench ??? btw
theres special tools for setting the flywheel up on these cars

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure that sounds bad at all to me, the dmf does have springs and does wobble on tickover it is usually quieter higher up the range, what does yours sound like when driving?
Ours does that bit at the end.
Tbh the vid is a bit short and at close range so it just sounds normal but a bit loud.
The car drives beautifully I just hate the rattle that sounds when I'm parking, idle in traffic or turning it off!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you want to make sure the fly wheel bolts have been torqued up propperly , ive just done one today that another garage had done and the bolts were loose from not being tightened enough:eek:the rattle was the flywheel shaking back and forward, i rang the garage who done the work and the mechanic said he just wapped them in with a windy gun but didnt want to go to hard incase it broke his t50 torx :eek::eek::rolleyes: what ever happened to a torque wrench ??? btw
theres special tools for setting the flywheel up on these cars
now that you mentioned the flywheel bolts, I once read that when changing the DMF and clutch kit, one should also change the flywheel bolts. which I confirmed today that the guy at the garage didn't change mine..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts