Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
307 HDi 2.0 2002 80K
Hi all
I need to replce my DMF/clutch, small steel fillings from the DMF were found on the crank sensor making the engine difficult to start, has anyone had this done? I have read up on the Valeo 4p with a solid flywheel and it can cause some small amounts of vibration? Do Peugeot still sell/fit these DMF's? any advice or opinions.:confused:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
With a solid flywheel you will get vibration at start up and shut down of engine. The dmf is there to stop this vibration from buggering up your drivetrain.

Your choice - put up with replacing the dmf or prepare yourself for eventually replacing the whole drive train.

Drive sensibly and the dmf will last as long as any other clutch mechanism.

D

·
0 Posts
I have fitted solid flywheels to this engine without effecting anything. The solid flywheel will make the car feel like a new car!

J

·
0 Posts
I can feel that I'm going to come across this problem very soon (squeaky noise coming when clutch is released)

So David, do you recommend DMF or solid? I'm under the impression Solid is cheaper?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Was going to say the normal flywheel on my 306 hdi was just as good as the one on the 307 which is a dual mass one if anything my 306 hdi engine was running a lot smoother

·
5,011 Posts
risky1 said:
David.
Are there any solid flywheel available for the 1.6hdi (110bhp) and 2.0 hdi(136) engines....??
I checked about a year ago and there were none available at that time....:(
Ron.
nice question:nod: must have read my mind:lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got phone quotes from 4 dealers for solid flywheels + clutch ass, just under £700, but one quoted about the same for a DMF, when I double checked they confirmed £700 for a DMF + clutch ass, these are normally £200-£300 dearer, also "Mr Clutch" £652 for solid, I'm going to call into main dealer and speak to service tech and get their opinion before taking the plunge.:cool:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
For fear of stating the obvious - which I'm going to do anyway.

Peugeot put in a dmf for a reason - otherwise they would simply bung in a cheaper solid flywheel - avoid all the bad publicity about dmf - and increase their profit margin by charging the same price for their cars.

The dmf also stops you from over stressing the drive train - the two parts of the dmf slip against each other - when you put the welly down and max the torque that the drive train is designed to take. This is the main reason for dmf failure - people who hair ass off the traffic lights.

As long as you go into the solid flywheel thing armed with all the facts - then fair 'nuf.

D

·
0 Posts
risky1 said:
David.
Are there any solid flywheel available for the 1.6hdi (110bhp) and 2.0 hdi(136) engines....??
I checked about a year ago and there were none available at that time....:(
Ron.
There are, the 90bhp 307 1.6hdi does not have a DMF. I'd be using a flywheel for one of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi there

i ended going for the solid fywheel no probs since last christmas and dont really notice the difference at all
was my local mechanic ex pug that said would be the best option
adamski

·
Registered
165 Posts
I Fitted a solid one in March to my 110 bhp 2.0 307 and no problems with drivetrain, the car is sharper off the mark now but you have learn to use a clutch again LOL, my other cars a 306 so was second nature,
The solid conversion came in a peugeot box and was recommended by my pug dealer, peugeot n# 2052N5, the clutch is special with longer fingers to soften the engagement. looking through my cars history DMF were only lasting 40000 miles a piece( it's had 3 under warranty!!!)
I'm all for the FIT AND FORGET philosophy.:lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Is there that much of a price difference?

Because surely, if it's going to cost roughly the same, you'd replace it with the same bit?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The price was similar, i guess the labour is the same. my Kit was was 265 and then about 45 quid extra for odds and ends, seals, actuating arm, oil etc.
No idea of labour cost would be, but i used a lot of coffee.

J

·
0 Posts
So in simple language for me, what led you to your decision since the prices are so similar?

·
Registered
165 Posts
DMF's seem to last 40000-60000 miles. a solid will last the life of the car, maybe at 100000 miles you'll need a new clutch, but that will prob only cost 100 quid. depends on how long you want to keep the car,

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
So why did Peugeot, who fit dmf to their cars off the production line, recommend a solid conversion - are they admitting something?

·
Registered
165 Posts
i'm sure you can read between the lines but my local dealer are putting these on non warranty DMF changes. it's an official peugeot part.
maybe next year there will be a plate in the particulate filter exactly the right size for a hoover!! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts