Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a few scratches on my car would like to respray them. I have gotten a can of paint from Peugeot dealer, as such would like to ask if I need anything else besides a compressor and a spray gun.

I have a spray gun that I use for spraying my Gundam model kit. Wil lthat work?

Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, You will need a few consumables to make sure you get a good finish - It's all down to preparation. Painting is the easy part. Your compressor needs to be able to produce around 2-3bar - rub down scratches - clean with a Scotchbrite pad and some degreaser and use a primer if the scratches are down to the metal. Just make sure you mask up correctly and take your time - paint in thin layers and allow to dry properly - first coat of lacquer is only a grip coat to prepare for the second - buy the best you can afford - let the shine build - don't put on too wet as runs/crawls are a pain to polish out - Good luck!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
What colour is the car - paint code will do.
Where on the car are the scratches - on some panels it's possible to do small area repairs but on others, in particular bonnet, roof and some bootlids it isn't as the whole panel needs to be painted to lose any visible edge of the new paint/clearcoat.
Losing the edge of a repair is the difficult part if you aren't doing the whole panel.
I should add that I SMART repair professionally.

ETA
Did you get the Technical Data Sheets (TDS) for the paint from the supplier? If not you need to get them.
These give all necessary information including surface preparation, how much thinner needs to be added, how much or if any hardener is required, spraygun pressure according to type & feed style, drying time between coats, drying time between the colour coats and application of clearcoat (if required) etc.
This is the TDS sheet for Nexa Aquabase Plus as an example of what I am talking about:
https://buyat.ppg.com/Refinish_SSA/Common/ShowPdf.aspx?AppId=2&BrandId=1&LanguageId=en-GB&IntDialCode=44&PdfId=16744&ProductCode='P989'

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks pepz for the replies. :) It sounds like really a hassle. I did some minor touchups before with a cotton swab as the scratch was just on the surface. Now I have a small one the size a 1/16" screw size. :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the paint from the only dealership that does Peugeot cars. I cannot remember the color number but I am sure its the same one. :)

I have 3 painful scratches. 2 on the front doors. and 1 at the back of the boot. :(:(

What colour is the car - paint code will do.
Where on the car are the scratches - on some panels it's possible to do small area repairs but on others, in particular bonnet, roof and some bootlids it isn't as the whole panel needs to be painted to lose any visible edge of the new paint/clearcoat.
Losing the edge of a repair is the difficult part if you aren't doing the whole panel.
I should add that I SMART repair professionally.

ETA
Did you get the Technical Data Sheets (TDS) for the paint from the supplier? If not you need to get them.
These give all necessary information including surface preparation, how much thinner needs to be added, how much or if any hardener is required, spraygun pressure according to type & feed style, drying time between coats, drying time between the colour coats and application of clearcoat (if required) etc.
This is the TDS sheet for Nexa Aquabase Plus as an example of what I am talking about:
https://buyat.ppg.com/Refinish_SSA/Common/ShowPdf.aspx?AppId=2&BrandId=1&LanguageId=en-GB&IntDialCode=44&PdfId=16744&ProductCode='P989'

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depending where they are on the doors you may need to paint the whole door.
With dark colours the result is likely to be better than silver & pale metallics which are a PITA & unless you blend into the adjaacent panels you're likely to finish up with a panel a different shade to the others.
Sometimes the only satisfactory solution is to respray the whole side of a car, even an eye match by an experienced paint mixer or use of a spectrometer may not get an exact match.
Problem is that there are almost invariably several different shades to each colour & these can depend on where & when the car was built as every time they order in a new batch of paint it will invariably be slightly different.
To give an idea, EZR Gris Aluminium is a very popular silver. I have colour swatches for 5 different shades - these are standard shades & the most common, but I have colour formulations for 40 different shades.
If you don't know/can't find the colour code give a rough idea, i.e red, green, blue, silver etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If possible from several angles as it's common to find a slight dent accompanying the scratch which may not be visible from certain angles.
(One of the reasons why I would never give a firm quote based just on photographs, although they do help to decide whether I would consider taking the job on or advise bodyshop)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts