Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

After having 2 mechanics look over my car, both have come to the conclusion the head gasket is on it's way out but second mechanic said 'early stages of head gasket' failure, if there is such a thing!

I've bought myself a little 1.2 Corsa on a 08 plate but him indoors wants to get the Pug fixed to sell on to try to recoup some money back, which is fair enough I guess.

So, we have a friend, who trained as a mechanic some years ago, well a good 10-15 years ago and has been out of the game about 6 years, he's done things like coil springs and oil changes for us in the past, we were talking about the pug and he has offered to do the head gasket, as long as we buy all the parts, he has the tools and we are flexible about how long the repair will take, as he does have a day job as a plumber (he used to work with Mr).

Now, I am clueless, I am happy to leave the mechanics up to him but will it need any software reseting or anything done via Planet during or after the work?

I am just wondering if it will be worth all the hassle? and whether if we do go ahead, what else might need doing as a result of the head gasket being done, if any thing?

I wanted to just put it on eBay as a spares or repairs car but Mr says no, we have to TRY this first but really, as a buyer, I am not sure that I would buy a car if I knew the car had had a DIY head gasket done, Mr says 'well, you don't tell people that bit'.

I'm in two minds....I just wondered what an opinion would be, is it worth a go or not? It's not likely to cost us huge amounts as he owes us a good few favours back but seriously, hassle wise, not sure I can be bothered!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
you may be lucky

when head gaskets go and cars overheat they make the rubber hoses solid.

the oil that gets in the water is very hard to get rid of. some traces may be still there

most people wont even notice. what reg and mileage is it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi chaps,
It's an 06 reg 1.6 HDi 90 BHP variant
It's done 88K

According to mechanic #2, a heater hose(?) has cracked, this stopped coolant getting to where it was supposed to be, this is his report, which might explain things more clearly:

Requested to test poor running, no diagnostic codes found or stored. Car has water leak from rear heater hose, filled coolant and tested.
Excessive smoke from cold start
Water from exhaust and tank pressuring
Suspected head gasket
Requires removal to test

Thanks for your input chaps.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No, I know the one you mean as my other half had it on watch to see how much it went for!

I must admit, I am not keen on doing it as I think my turbo is also in its way out.

Mines a previous Cat C as well, which was front drivers side damage (possibly the coolant tank was affected). Due to it being a Cat C, I'm reticent to do work to it now because I won't see any return.

If you see a red variant on in the next few days in North Wales (where my car is at the moment in our in laws garage) that's mine!

D

·
0 Posts
Hi chaps,
It's an 06 reg 1.6 HDi 90 BHP variant
It's done 88K

According to mechanic #2, a heater hose(?) has cracked, this stopped coolant getting to where it was supposed to be, this is his report, which might explain things more clearly:

Requested to test poor running, no diagnostic codes found or stored. Car has water leak from rear heater hose, filled coolant and tested.
Excessive smoke from cold start
Water from exhaust and tank pressuring
Suspected head gasket
Requires removal to test

Thanks for your input chaps.
Stripping this engine is definitely not for the faint hearted. They are a very technical engine to strip and put back. Best leave it to a pro.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am very glad you said that!

I will show Mr, whilst I appreciate the gesture. In my line of work (construction) we have to do ongoing training, we can't take a years break then go back because things aren't the same.

I just want rid, fair enough I've put new clutch, timing belt, glow plugs/relay in and that's cost me a fair bit but I can't do something just to 'hope' it might work especially as I think we may also have a turbo issue as well (blue smoke, loss of power, flat spots).

We are leaving it in North Wales for the time being, Mr has a company car, I have a car, we can sit on it for a bit, we don't need to rush into getting rid of it but I feel, personally, it isn't worth the hassle of doing the head gasket. I don't want a situation where half way through he decides its too hard, the car is in bits and we're worse off than when we started!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I jumped the gun, and did my HDI head Gasket, and wasted a fortune doing it to be honest. Couldnt agree more with David on this tbh. There a complex engine to strip, with parts that require masses of respectfull treatment, if you dont want things costing a fortune. Garage job :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think my other half has mad ideas at times!

This guy was his apprentice and he does good work, as a plumber and doing the car basics.

As Dave and you have both mentioned, it's a complex engine, knowing that, I wouldn't be happy with someone messing with it and potentially killing it off.

I think I will be putting it on eBay in the next few weeks, I think the in laws might want their garage back!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It does get turned over every other day at the moment but not sure if it gets left to run or not? Would running stop/prevent anything happening or does it just need turning over?

Got trading standards on the case anyway. With the car being in north Wales it is closer to Rochdale (where we bought the car).

In no rush but the trading standards route had got to be worth a punt!

·
Registered
248 Posts
It might just be me, but I’ve never had a great deal of bother with doing head gaskets myself (so far - touch wood and all that).

I'm intrigued as to the 'technical engine' quote - what is so technical about it that puts you off

R

·
0 Posts
just get shot of it..even if you repaired it at a good cost you still wont make much for it being cat c..theres plenty of cheap better cars about..just cut your loses and get get rid..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Personally, as a girl (wimpy one at that!), I'm reticent to let anyone other than a garage do anything major to my cars! I like some comeback if it goes t-ts up, you can't really do that with mates!

We bought the car off a motor dealer in Rochdale, we've had advice and assistance from Trading Standards. They are now on at the trader to offer some form of redress, if that is not forthcoming then they have advised taking the small claims court route.

I've had 2 independent reports done, both say the head gasket, one mentions a likely turbo issue and quotes for all the works.

He's a fairly 'established' dealer, TS have not had issues with him before. He has stock and plenty of it (ie it would be harder to argue he wasn't a dealer which is his answer at the moment). I am hanging on to the car as is at the moment. Luckily I have in laws with a garage, so it can sit in there for the time being. I've bought a Corsa, which I pick up in a weeks time and the Mr has his company car.

I am kind of hoping he agrees just to take the car back and give me some money back, obviously, I've used the car, but only 800 miles in 2 months, so a full refund is appaently not realistic.

I hope he doesn't just offer to repair it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it's gone....we sold it to a neighbour of our in laws who is a wannabe car dealer/repairer.
I unfortunately allowed Mr to do negotiations, we've now ended up with a 206 Sport as he swapped it and gave the bloke cash (I am not happy about this bit).

We now have 3 cars, however, now my angry woman facade has receded somewhat, it's not such a bad move. Mr is looking to change jobs and as a result we'll lose his company car for a while until he gets a new job, passes probationary and gets a new one.

I actually quite like it (don't tell him!) it's thirsty though but nice drive, don't think I'll be swapping in my Corsa though any time soon!

Just can't get away from Peugeot!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts