Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
My car won't be used for about 8 weeks and in that time it will go flat ! What procedure should I use to disconnect the battery and lock the car ? Also reconnecting when I'm back ? Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Dont you need to replace your battery then if it does that in the space of 8 weeks?

Anyhow I was pretty sure that you;

1- Open bonnet catch from inside car
2 - Turn off all electrical equipment in car including disabling alarm if applicable
3 - Lock car with central locking.
4- Leave car for 15 mins to store all ECU values etc
5 - Fully open bonnet, disconnect battery.

The reverse to reconnect?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dont you need to replace your battery then if it does that in the space of 8 weeks?

Anyhow I was pretty sure that you;

1- Open bonnet catch from inside car
2 - Turn off all electrical equipment in car including disabling alarm if applicable
3 - Lock car with central locking.
4- Leave car for 15 mins to store all ECU values etc
5 - Fully open bonnet, disconnect battery.

The reverse to reconnect?
when you reconnect the battery, I thought you had to have the window down to turn on the sidelights.

BSI Reboot Process for Peugeot

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
i typically just leave the drivers door open, key out of ignition and then just disconnect the battery. Never had an issue with this method.

·
Registered
343 Posts
when you reconnect the battery, I thought you had to have the window down to turn on the sidelights.

BSI Reboot Process for Peugeot
That is a BSI reset, not just disconnecting the battery ;)

I have done this countless times with no problems. If it was this complex we would have broken Peugeot's all over the place. After all some users I have come across just remove the battery like the good old days when cars had no BSI's or ECU's.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know it's a bsi reset, but it also gives the procedure for disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.....just trying to help.
Indeed and so am I, I cant see how leaving the window open will help 407_mad's cause to be honest. So the sensible option is to do as much as possible in that instruction to achieve the end result.

I am also under the impression the side light job is only a matter of testing that all is working, not an actual procedure that must be done following a battery disconnection to enable no issues.

Of course I will stand corrected if this is so proved otherwise

D

·
0 Posts
You won't have to do any of the side lights stuff. Just wait three minutes before and after disconnection and reconnection.
Just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery resets the BSI anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You won't have to do any of the side lights stuff. Just wait three minutes before and after disconnection and reconnection.
Just disconnecting and reconnecting the battery resets the BSI anyway.
This is the way i have done it many times never had a problem, one thing i would check first is try to lock and unlock the drivers door with the key first, some people have problem with it not unlocking.

·
11,873 Posts
If your battery is good, 8 weeks shouldn't be a problem.

You're more likely to encounter problems for leaving it without a battery for 8 weeks.

·
Registered
119 Posts

You're more likely to encounter problems for leaving it without a battery for 8 weeks.
you will not have any problems leaving it without battery connected i used to do this often 12-14 weeks at a time, now i open the sunroof blind and fit a 40 watt solar panel this keeps the battery charged up.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Indeed. My point exactly, I have not used my car for about 11 weeks once and still started perfectly. Battery was relatively new (about a year old). The older batteries needing replacement would go flat after 8 weeks but that is a good indication to buy another!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts