Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I often travel and don't use my car for a long period of time (months). So I would like to disconnect my battery to prevent it from being completely flat when I return.

Now I'm wondering if I will run into problems when I reconnect it again. For example, would there be a problem with the car alarm? Or would the car be immobilised for another reason? Can I start the car by myself (one person) after disconnecting?

Any other complications I should be aware of?

Cheers

·
Registered
822 Posts
Is the car kept on a drive/ garage or on the rd side?
Personally i would use a trickle charger to keep battery topped up, rather than disconnecting.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Buy a trickle charger. I use one usually over xmas when the car is on the drive for weeks at a time.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Get a solar charger. Maplin do one, no idea if it's any good though. Might just trickle enough to be able to start the car after being sat for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A solar trickle-charger is never going to work for this purpose. A simple calculation and quite some experience with solarchargers teaches me that.

Take for example the Maplin panel. This has a maximum rated current of 225mA, meaning in bright sunlight with the panel aimed exactly towards the sun that is the maximum you would ever get under perfect conditions.

However, under glass it would only be a fraction of that. And when not aimed perfectly at the sun it's a fraction of a fraction. And when it is overcast it would be only a few percent of that (good luck in England).

Suppose a 60Ah battery discharges within 2 months, that means you need to replenish 1Ah every day. Suppose you had 8 hours per day to do that, that means the panel needs to give you on average 125mA (=56% maximum rated output) during these 8 hours. Absolutely no chance! You can play around a bit with the numbers but you won't get anywhere near what is required.

So back to the question in the OP. I hope somebody has the answer.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Hi

I imagine many factors would be in play examples if when you stopped using the car it had very dirty filters and oil that would not help

The biggest issue I would be concerned about would be the ecu not retaining codes for the immobiliser and radio if the battery was off for an extended period

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Well you haven't a lot of choice. Remove the battery to keep charged and the car won't lock. Parked on the road isn't a good idea.

Or option 2 park it on someones driveway while you're away. Then use their electricity to charge the battery, or remove it and take it home to charge.

You can't really run leads across a footpath to do this outside your house.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
ECU will be fine if left disconnected to be honest its when the battery goes flat the codes get scrubbed this is because the battery draws every bit of power away from everything as it goes flat including the BSI memory.

So disconnection is probably the best option but the discharge rate is not as high as you seem to think i parked a mondeo for 3 months and when i returned to move it it still started fine did not even disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ECU will be fine if left disconnected to be honest its when the battery goes flat the codes get scrubbed this is because the battery draws every bit of power away from everything as it goes flat including the BSI memory.

So disconnection is probably the best option but the discharge rate is not as high as you seem to think i parked a mondeo for 3 months and when i returned to move it it still started fine did not even disconnect the battery.
Myself I have in the past also left my car for just over 2 months and it still started (just). I think that was near it's limit so I don't want to push it much further. Now my battery is pretty old and yesterday it was flat after less than a month, so I'm getting a new one now.

My next trip will be about 4.5 months and I don't think even a new battery will last that long. But apart from that, deep discharge for a long time is very bad for the lifetime of your battery so I want to do it properly this time and prevent it from deeply discharging in the first place.

I'm just back from a garage (that does a lot of Peugeot) to ask them the same question. The guy told me there is no problem. According to him the car should simply work after re-connecting. Only possible problem could be radio he said (but that's no critical problem for me, as long as I don't get stuck with a car that doesn't drive).

I said "but some people told me this and that...". He said "You probably read that on the internet? Ignore all that b***".

Well... let's hope he is right :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts