Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you disable traction control? Is it soemthing you have to do through the BSI?

·
Registered
28 Posts
traction control

Cars with traction control also have ESP. If your car is fitted with these there is a button on the same place as the door locking button with ESP on it if it,s not there you don,t have traction control:thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
esp is the posh name for traction control. i have esp flash up all the time in this snow and it's doing my head in. i can't see a button anywhere :(

also while i'm thinking about it, what its the button to the left of the door locking button which looks along the lines of this .)))

i would look in the cars manual...but it didnt come with one lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
ESP and traction control are different things mate. Traction control works on the front (or driven) wheels and monitors / compares the wheel speeds on the same axle. If one wheel spins too fast in relation to the other then the system brakes the spinning wheel and forces drive to the unbraked wheel.

ESP (Electronic Stability Program) works on all 4 wheels and steering angle, and brakes individual wheels to keep the car driving in the direction the steering wheel points, while reducing engine power at the same time when necessary. If the steering wheel points straight ahead and the front wheels spin then traction control not ESP cuts in. ESP is inoperative below a certain vehicle speed aswell, although the actual speed is unknown (it's a big secret) :p .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fair one. so i guessed i'm going to have to have it turned off using lexia or something similar?

G

·
You can disengage the ESP, but it re-engages at 40mph. ESP operates at any forward speed, as evidenced by the huge "ESP YOU BLOODY IDIOT!!!" warning messages that have been popping up on both my 308 and 407 in the snow while driving as slow as walking pace (the 407 has an animated warning, which makes me keep deliberately slewing the front wheels to make it come on!).

What do your insurers think of removing it? Why would you want to wear your tyres out any quicker? It's not as if any Peugeot model has sufficient torque to make disabling such a system a worthwhile effort.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chopper1192 said:
Why would you want to wear your tyres out any quicker? It's not as if any Peugeot model has sufficient torque to make disabling such a system a worthwhile effort.
is that not a contradiction?

·
Registered
28 Posts
traction control

permanantly engaged traction control?how are you supposed to get out of sticky situauations when you really need to switch it off.I have had a few cars with traction control(focus,astra,mini,mondeo),they all say in the handbook to switch off the traction control in certain circumstances to help if you get stuck, and have a switch to do so.Permenantly engaged traction control is a really stupid idea,what were peugeot thinking?

G

·
Matt said:
is that not a contradiction?
No - removing it may make scrub your tyres quicker by not preventing too much chirping away off the line, but the car still doesn't have sufficient shove to make a real performance gain when cornering etc. It's kinda in the grey nether in between area I guess.

If it's coming on inappropriately then, assuming it's working all properly, it's the cars way of telling you you're getting a bit cocky. I've never owned a 307 so can't comment definitively, but on my 308 it's very unobtrusive and on the 407 it's a downright bloody brilliant system, and it's been superb in the snow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's only been coming on in the snow, but its making it slide across the road :S my mr2 however was fine in the snow...once it got traction haha

G

·
The TC won't make it slide. It'll make it less likely to go for a jolly into a ditch.

ABS is the bad news in the snow, and reduces your breaking to virtually zilch, and that will have you wandering off unexpectedly, but if the ABS is firing that's the cars way of telling you to back it off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts