·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Pug 307 1.4 HDI
Year: 2003

Problem: Struggling selecting gears sometime

In winter i always struggle to get the car in any gear. After leaving the engine running for 10 mins i can then force it into gear but not smooth. Once driving the car and forcefully changing gears for 15-20 mins, the gear change is nice and smooth.

Summer

Its quite random, now some days of the week cannot get car in gear and other days no problem in selecting and changing gears :confused:

Last summer new clutch was fitted by garage

On this matter i am totally clueless and really would appreciate your help (please)

Could it possibly be the gear selector cable?

Thanks

Adam :confused:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Could be the selector but have you checked the oil/oil level and did the problem only occur after the new clutch was fitted? Also check the box for oil leaks if level is down. If the problem existed before the clutch change i would personally be tempted to replace the oil and take it from there otherwise I might suspect a thermal fault with the clutch or operating mechanism. Would have thought a faulty selector wouldn't significantly improve or correct itself and all cars I've had in the past with this sort of issue has been down to oil level or grade.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the selector but have you checked the oil/oil level? Also check the box for oil leaks if level is down. Personally I would be tempted to replace the oil and take it from there. Would have thought a faulty selector wouldn't significantly improve or correct itself and all cars I've had in the past with this sort of issue has been down to oil level or grade.
Thank You for your reply

I think it was Windy1606, a while ago had also recommended changing gearbox oil with Total BV 75/80. Changed the gearbox oil, if memory serves me right it was 1.9 Litres.

a while ago the gear selector rod had popped off, twice so ended up buying a new genuine item from the dealers for £20. The new genuine selector rod is made out of plastic.

If it is the gear selector cables i dont mind replacing it with a new one.
Don't want to throw money on parts that don't need replacing.

Would really appreciate your help guys :confused:

Adam :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Totally agree Adam it was just from what you said it sounds like a thermal issue and I couldn't see how the selector linkage would have any bearing on this as they usual work or they don't. Only factors in common seem to be the oil or clutch as these are affected by temperature change. Maybe reliable406 or storeman can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
287 Posts
what about the slave cylinder?

I have a somewhat similar issue on my 2.0 hdi though its only 1st and 2nd gear, where if you try to change down into 1st with your road speed too high it will crunch.

Someone suggestes slave cylinder. There no expensive but not sure how easy they are to replace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts