Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What made you decide on one over the other?
Although retired we enjoyed being out n about regularly and thus 30,000km/year is the average.
For us, diesel is a stable price - $1.25/L
Petrol isn't, and varies $1.30-1.45/L .
The diesel has the added complication of AdBlue, DPF, EGR and Eolys fluid also.
All of these have maintenance/repair/replacement issues, some reflected in the increased servicing costs.
Does the money saved make the diesel more economic over the long term?.
Will govt regulations have an impact on resale?.

I was determined to go for the GT, because it was the only diesel option for Australia, but now I'm starting to get the wobbles.

What do you think?.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have avoided diesel ever since a dpf failed on my honda, just a personal decision. Also don't do the miles to justify diesel.

3008 1.2 Man GT Line Pearl White (42.1mpg)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have avoided diesel ever since a dpf failed on my honda, just a personal decision. Also don't do the miles to justify diesel.

3008 1.2 Man GT Line Pearl White (42.1mpg)
That engine of yours is one sweetie too, unfortunately it's the older 1.6 we will be getting.......not so sure about that one:confused:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An average fuel savings of $750/pa is what I calculate.......is it enough?.
The modern turbo petrols are much better than the non turbo 2.5L equivalents......more like diesels but quieter and a bit more zip.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have driven diesels for a good number of years and in that time I have had so many differing changes of opinion I often confused myself.
It probably started when in my thirties where the miles were piled on travelling from home to barracks then back again. In those days all I cared about was getting from A to B then B to A and so on and so on..
Later, as happens after being sent to more conflicts and wars that I care to mention, witnessing so many negative things you start to re-evaluate your life and take stock of everything. You start to appreciate other things in a different light and question your previous reasonings.
Now I am retired; not only do I not do the miles to justify the more expensive diesel but I want to be as kind to others as I possibly can.
It's currently petrol time for me, until the hybrid or electric becomes more accepted out and about. :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have driven diesels for a good number of years and in that time I have had so many differing changes of opinion I often confused myself.
It probably started when in my thirties where the miles were piled on travelling from home to barracks then back again. In those days all I cared about was getting from A to B then B to A and so on and so on..
Later, as happens after being sent to more conflicts and wars that I care to mention, witnessing so many negative things you start to re-evaluate your life and take stock of everything. You start to appreciate other things in a different light and question your previous reasonings.
Now I am retired; not only do I not do the miles to justify the more expensive diesel but I want to be as kind to others as I possibly can.
It's currently petrol time for me, until the hybrid or electric becomes more accepted out and about. :)
I know what you mean when it comes to going around in circles trying to decide :nod:
Unfortunately the only petrol is the 'old' one we will be getting and we don't have a choice in diesels.......so it GT or old tech petrol autos.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I know what you mean when it comes to going around in circles trying to decide :nod:
Unfortunately the only petrol is the 'old' one we will be getting and we don't have a choice in diesels.......so it GT or old tech petrol autos.
At the time I placed my order they had literally that week pulled the new 3 valve 1.2ltr petrol Auto.
Seems no sooner had I confirmation they had accepted the order for my 1.6ltr they then go and reinstate the 1.2 back again. :confused:

·
Registered
495 Posts
At the time I placed my order they had literally that week pulled the new 3 valve 1.2ltr petrol Auto.
Seems no sooner had I confirmation they had accepted the order for my 1.6ltr they then go and reinstate the 1.2 back again. :confused:
Petrol 1.2 Gt Line...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had 30 years of diesel`s but i think they have had their day now, with the advancement of modern petrol engines unless you do massive motorway miles i see no need. Petrol for me from now on until either battery power range improves or Elon Musk lowers his prices, i think my next car will be a hybrid.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had 30 years of diesel`s but i think they have had their day now, with the advancement of modern petrol engines unless you do massive motorway miles i see no need. Petrol for me from now on until either battery power range improves or Elon Musk lowers his prices, i think my next car will be a hybrid.
:thumb:
This one's so advanced it's likely to be my last ICE car........and a bridge to an affordable BEV.
Materials research is mind boggling...eg Graphene etc.

·
Registered
276 Posts
:thumb:
This one's so advanced it's likely to be my last ICE car........and a bridge to an affordable BEV.
Materials research is mind boggling...eg Graphene etc.
Graphene, sounds like something from Laboratoires Garnier. Sure my wife rubs that on her face at night :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Over in Singapore there's only petrol, no dispel version.
We don't even have GT Line for selection, but our Allure comes with Led headlights & panoramic roof.

·
Registered
407 Posts
1.2 petrol, we traded in our diesel which wasn't even two years old! Just had to have the new one :D

·
Registered
420 Posts
What made you decide on one over the other
Several reasons (some only for Norwegians):
* they are bad for the local environment.
* they are too loud.
* they smell bad.
* I would be embarrassed to drive a car that creates vast amounts of black smoke every time you floor the throttle.
* they have already been banned in Oslo on cold days during the winter.
* the government in Norway are doing all they can to make people stop buying diesel engines.
* the depreciation on diesel cars are bigger than on petrol cars.
* I don't think they are fun to drive because of the limited power range at low rpm's.
* modern turbo petrol engines are better at almost everything.

I bought the 1,6 THP because a) I don't like the vibrations and "3 cylinder sound" of the 1,2 petrol, and b) because the 1,2 is too slow. The 1,6 are barely fast enough and is the fastest 3008 on the market. There are rumours of a 3008 hybrid with 300bhp, but I needed a new car today - not in 2019.

Honestly, I thought my 2013 Focus would be my last petrol car, but the electric car technology are just too slow. Since then I've bought two new petrol cars (2015 108 and 2017 3008). I really hope my next car will be electric.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would have had the 1.6 petrol but having seen several negative reviews of that engine in combination with the EAT6 automatic transmission, and there being no manual option with the 1.6 petrol I had to go for the 2.0 150hp diesel.

Maybe if the dealership had had an auto for me to test drive I would have gone with the 1.6 but I wasn't prepared to take the risk. I've driven Peugeots with less than competent auto boxes in the past, once bitten, twice shy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Several reasons (some only for Norwegians):
* they are bad for the local environment.
* they are too loud.
* they smell bad.
* I would be embarrassed to drive a car that creates vast amounts of black smoke every time you floor the throttle.
* they have already been banned in Oslo on cold days during the winter.
* the government in Norway are doing all they can to make people stop buying diesel engines.
* the depreciation on diesel cars are bigger than on petrol cars.
* I don't think they are fun to drive because of the limited power range at low rpm's.
* modern turbo petrol engines are better at almost everything.

I bought the 1,6 THP because a) I don't like the vibrations and "3 cylinder sound" of the 1,2 petrol, and b) because the 1,2 is too slow. The 1,6 are barely fast enough and is the fastest 3008 on the market. There are rumours of a 3008 hybrid with 300bhp, but I needed a new car today - not in 2019.

Honestly, I thought my 2013 Focus would be my last petrol car, but the electric car technology are just too slow. Since then I've bought two new petrol cars (2015 108 and 2017 3008). I really hope my next car will be electric.
I like the sound of the 1.2, I would not call it slow - turbo! I would say if feels just like our 1.6 diesel for speed, and yes it will climb up hills. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Quite agree Jill, the 1.2 sounds great, no vibrations, and certainly nothing to indicate it's only 3 cylinders. It is slightly slower than the 1.6, but in most driving scenarios you would be pushed to notice much difference. The only reason I would have gone for the 1.6 was if I still did a lot of motorway driving, but the downside is the issues Peugeot have had with the 1.6 engine in the past, which they say are now solved, which is disputed by a number of motoring journalists.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like the sound of the 1.2, I would not call it slow - turbo! I would say if feels just like our 1.6 diesel for speed, and yes it will climb up hills. :thumb:
I tried the 1,6 120bhp diesel the first time I test drove the 3008 and compared the specifications with the 1,2 petrol. They are very much the same, but that is too slow for me. :copcar:

1 - 20 of 55 Posts