Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cutting out problem with my daughter's DW8 engined Expert. Will run fine for a fair few miles and then start to stumble a bit and cut out. No alarm lights up and usually restarts within a few minutes.

The RAC chap tipped out when it wouldn't restart and found no fault codes. He then got it going and it behaved perfectly.

I found a few bubbles in the supply pipe from the filter to the pump (Delphi DPC DWL P12), and so I replaced the fuel filter, and the O ring for the lid looked flattened. Since fitting the new O ring no air at all in the fuel pipe from filter to the pump.

Are there any other gauze strainers or filters in the system, or has anyone got any other suggestions as to what is causing this?

No smoke when it plays up. The vacuum supply for the EGR valve doesn't seem very good - there is a bit of vacuum there but it is weak. Brake servo is fine though. I have traced the pipes back to behind the nearside bumper - is there an accumulator there, and have these been known to leak?

It feels like fuel starvation when it cuts out. If the shut off solenoid plays up do they cut out straight away or can they shudder a bit first?

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
EGR system is simple on these the vacuum is low level there is a vacuum capsule somewhere.
Doubt its your issue.

Stop solenoids do sometimes fail but to get at it you need the code box off the back of the pump if there are no obvious leaks then that would be my guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'll check the stop solenoid out - should be fun getting to it.

Sounds like it is the vacuum capsule that sits behind the bumper on the nearside front.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When was the fuel filter last changed?
Just been done - I thought that was the problem as the O ring on the filter had flattened and air bubbles were appearing in the inlet pipe to the pump.

Genuine new Bosch filter and O ring and no more air bubbles since.

I haven't had the pump shut off solenoid out yet, but with a clear length of plastic pipe connected to the pump inlet and with a metre of it going vertical filled with fuel you can see the level drop and stop dropping as the ignition is turned on and back off, so the shut off solenoid looks like it is doing what it should.

Fuel draws through the filter fine using a syringe, so no blockages back to the tank. I'm suspecting something in the pump itself, but strange that it will run well for ages and then play up again.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm wondering whether everything is OK at the engine end and the problem is with the tank breather or pick up strainer? Could the fuel pipe have been pinched (as in squashed!) underneath? Try removing the fuel cap next time it happens to rule in/out the breather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestion - I did remove it after the engine stopped and there wasn't any woosh of air, but I will try running it with the fuel filler cap off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts