Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The diesel engine was invented by Rudolph Diesel and granted a German patent in 1892. Diesel's aim was to create an efficient engine, the petrol engine that had been invented in 1876 was very inefficient at the time. Diesel was the first to prove fuel could be ignited without a spark. In the diesel engine air is compressed to such a degree that the temperature exceeds that needed to ignite the fuel.

How a diesel engine works?
In a petrol engine, petrol and air are mixed, compressed and then ignited with a spark. A diesel engine takes in just air, compresses it and then injects fuel into the compressed air. The air is compressed to such a high temperature it ignites the fuel as soon as it is introduced.

Why is a diesel engine more fuel efficient than a petrol one?
A diesel engine compresses at a far higher ratio than a petrol engine. A petrol engine compresses at a ratio of 8:1 to 12:1, while a diesel engine compresses at a ratio of 14:1 to 25:1. This makes the diesel engine far more efficient. Diesel fuel also contains a higher energy density than petrol. On average, 1 gallon of diesel fuel has 147,000 BTU while 1 gallon of petrol has 125,000 BTU.
Diesel engines also have a higher thermal efficiency than petrol engines. This is the ratio of chemical energy converted into mechanical force. In all engines some of the chemical energy in the fuel will be wasted through heat (which is then released through the vehicles cooling system). Diesel engines waste less energy than their petrol counterparts.

What are the advantages of diesel engines over petrol engines?
Economy: This is normally the first thing people associate with diesel engines. Higher compression ratios, higher BTU per gallon and higher thermal efficiency all add to making the diesel engine more economical than a petrol engine.

Lower maintenance & Reliability: Because diesel engines do not use electricity to ignite the fuel, they do not need the complex ignition systems (spark plugs, coils, HT leads, distributor etc) associated with petrol engines. Petrol engines also require a carburettor or injection system to mix the fuel and air, diesel engines do not need them. This all means there is far less to go wrong with a diesel engine.

Longer life: Diesel engines, because of their application in industry, are normally built far stronger than petrol engines. From farming to Taxis, they are expected to work harder in a shorter period of time. Normal wear of piston rings in petrol engines is far slower in a diesel engine as the nature of the diesel fuel itself acts as a lubricant. You will also hear of diesel being referred to as ‘heavy oil’ and diesel vehicles as ‘oil burners’.

Emissions: Diesel engines in comparison to petrol engines produce less carbon dioxide, the gas responsible for global warming, and less Nitric Oxide (NO).

What are the disadvantages of diesel engines over petrol engines?
Noise: Diesel engines are far noisier, especially when cold, than petrol engines. However, modern diesels are becoming more refined all the time and are far more acceptable amongst private car users.

Higher Cost: Because of higher stresses within a diesel engine over petrol, the increased strength built into the engine means a higher initial cost. However, this is easily offset by the long term economy

Emissions: Eventhough diesel engines produce some less harmful gases associated with petrol engines they also produce more particulates (soot). These particulates are considered carcinogenic (cancer causing) and also contribute to smog.

·
Registered
239 Posts
ahhhh now we have a name to blame on the useless FAP system,

it really doesn't work and causes more problems than its worth like the EGR system! the problem with FAP is firstly cost and not effective ( unless your a garage owner ) pug dropped the system due to costs and value for money which degraded the value of the car because of its costs to repair ( im not surprised ) I went for the petrol version because of that and since I bought my motor ive had no problems ( cross my fingers ) cough,

have you considered de-faping your car? the Eloy's tank can be filled with diesel to simulate but only issue is the pressure sensor in the exhaust and easily overcome with a turbo pressure sensor to fool the system.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I`ve actually went for the 1.4hdi for work , i have 2 of them cheap tax(£35 a year) good miles to the gallon and nothing expensive to break on them, mainly change tyres ,breaks and droplinks with services so theres no real bills,would love to go for something bigger but at 1000 miles a week theres not many that would stick that, hope to try the 308 1.6hdi sw next year or year after if my wee baby doesn`t let me down, fingers crossed.:D

G

·
Just out of interest martin did you ever own a 306?

Mine would run forever no matter what i threw at it, think it was the XUD9 engine i had, would have covered 1000+ without a hiccup :)

Those were the days!

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry STUBBO for the late reply :eek: but yes we had a 306 ,going great until the fan belt shredded hit the timing belt and BOOM,
but apart from that a great car with very few problems , new engine went into it and sold it on , still see it about now and again.:nod:

G

·
Slowest reply ever!

Quite a lot of people i know who owned 306's have moved to the 307, mainly because the same as me they had no problems at all with the 306, if pug can get back to that build quality i'll be more than happy :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.