Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking at getting diagbox package of ebay seller uk, but,,, am confused as to what 2nd hand laptop to buy, whether i should get windows 7 32 bit, or xp pro sp3 ,or 64 bit,,,,, I want what will be easiest for me to ''plug and play'' without complications !! I will be buying it off ebay 2nd hand as cheaply as poss just for diagbox, so simplest ,least expensive option that runs at a reasonable speed,
no techno jargon please, I am not brilliant with laptops other than basics ,
Thanks for any help....:eek:

·
9,216 Posts
Any standard laptop should be fine. I use an old Dell Inspiron 1501 which is just a standard dual core processor with a 250gb hard drive and 2 GB RAM.

I use Windows 7 32 bit on that laptop but also have it installed on my spare laptop which runs win 10 32 bit and it runs fine on both.

You can also use a virtual machine but you will need a higher spec laptop if you don't want the virtual machine to run to slow

Just remember to keep wifi etc off when using so you have no internet connection or it can deactivate the software

·
Registered
155 Posts
It might be worth going down to your local computer shop and having a word with them, it can't do any harm and although you don't know much about laptops they should be able to speak your language.
Tell them exactly what you want to use it for and they should be able to fix you up with something.
eBay is good if you know what you want otherwise it can be a minefield.

Phil.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, decided rather than go down the route of getting second hand laptop to download VMware onto my own laptop, which is intel core i3(just read that of label!) its fairly new, 64bit windows 10 , Have downloaded and installed vmware with no problem, just have to load xp pro sp3 32 bit on to vmplayer , now got to decide who to go to for diagbox , china, with full flash(which seems to be recommended) or uk who dont all have full flash shown in advert, china is about £56 on free slow boat with customs risk, or uk £95 -115 with xp dowload disc and backup, There seems to be 2 versions being sold 7.82 version or 7.83, is there any reason to go with one or the other ? Any help/advice gratefully received..............:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having read through loads of threads , think i should mention that my car is a 2004 2.0 diesel xsi sw 16v , , the reason i mention this is,,, seems to be conflicting information as to what is best to use on 'older ' cars , some saying diagbox others saying pp2000 as some functions work better than pp2000 within diagbox, gets more confusing the more i read !:confused:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any standard laptop should be fine. I use an old Dell Inspiron 1501 which is just a standard dual core processor with a 250gb hard drive and 2 GB RAM.

I use Windows 7 32 bit on that laptop but also have it installed on my spare laptop which runs win 10 32 bit and it runs fine on both.

You can also use a virtual machine but you will need a higher spec laptop if you don't want the virtual machine to run to slow

Just remember to keep wifi etc off when using so you have no internet connection or it can deactivate the software

Thanks,
Well that gives me an option

was looking at a cheap Dell D510 1.60GHz P-M Centrino DVD/CDRW Laptop Windows XP Office,
will probably buy now,
my also load everything onto my own laptop with vmware as a backup if i manage to get it onto the Dell and running ok , presume i can load it onto more than one computer without a problem ???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts