Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many threads on this subject, but there is so much information, sometimes contradicting, that I have no idea what is what anymore!

Firstly, the car I am currently working on, and will be likely to do a lot of work on in the future is a 308 T9 2015, but I would like something that will do most of, if not the whole range of Peugeot an Citroen. Am I expecting too much?

I am looking at this on ebay - will this do what I want?

Most ebay listings mention version V7.83 - how recent is that, and will it work with the 308? I have seen many other versions that appear to be more recent like V8.55 but they appear to be updates only. I have also seen V9.12, V9.23 and V9.54 but they are very expensive and only come with laptops included, and additionally they have to be online with paid access to Peugeot.

The laptop I would like to use is Toughbook CF30 with Windows Vista 32-bit, which I use for garage diagnostics, but I have seen it mentioned that Diagbox has to have a dedicated laptop, and V7.83 says it has to be XP, but V8.55 will work on newer versions of Windows - is this true?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Short answer is don't waste your money and dont buy diagbox. The reason is that you cant do nothing on diagbox with new peugeot cars. Well yeah, you can check and erase faults, but that's it... Really, doesn't worth it in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's put a cat among the pigeons! I thought that is what was recommended here.

So are the claims that V8.55 works on 2018 cars a load of b********?

Any recommendations what to use?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Diagbox is not bad, actually i like the new versions more than PP2000, but everything needs to be done online on new cars and that's not cheap:( i am using version 7.83 with cable full chip rev C... yeah, ive paid for the cable about £120 to find out that it doesn't work on new cars, well it does but as ive mentioned earlier, online only, so it has to be connected to PSA servers .. but on oldish cars it works perfectly fine ... problems is, that basically every cable selling on ebay, etc, etc is clone and there is more versions on the market ... i am using mine just to check faults on my 308, erase them and that's it, because i cant do nothing else and occasionally i am doing diagnostic for guys on forums with oldish cars ... BTW i was thinking about Delphi, but not sure about it, PSA has some specific codes that Delphi does not recognise, etc, etc..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Diagbox can be used with 308 T9, but not everything on 7.83, telecoding in BSI is not possible, but you can still use diagnostic.

Also, you can install older version, 7.59 for example, and even telecoding will work, but some options might be missing since it's older version.

And of course, don't overpaid it like AndyWest here, just go to the AliExpress and buy yourself full chip version, I paid it about $60.

Also, if you ever need latest official Diagbox, you can buy tokens on servicebox and do everything like the dealer. It costs around 50 dollars I think.

And ditch the Vista, install Windows 7 32-bit.

And remember, no other diagnostic will ever be as good as Diagbox, since that is official Peugeot diagnostic.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Diagbox can be used with 308 T9, but not everything on 7.83, telecoding in BSI is not possible, but you can still use diagnostic.

Also, you can install older version, 7.59 for example, and even telecoding will work, but some options might be missing since it's older version.

And of course, don't overpaid it like AndyWest here, just go to the AliExpress and buy yourself full chip version, I paid it about $60.

Also, if you ever need latest official Diagbox, you can buy tokens on servicebox and do everything like the dealer. It costs around 50 dollars I think.

And remember, no other diagnostic will ever be as good as Diagbox, since that is official Peugeot diagnostic.
Well the reason why I've paid £120 was that i bought it from uk dealer with reputation and it is propper rev c full chip version. Yes, you can buy something from aliexpress but you dont really know what you are buying, did you check yours what's inside? Few friends bought it from aliexpress, they had to wait weeks to be delivered and the " full chip" was only on picture :) heard stories that few people fried their ecu... But their cars and money... Or if i spend few thousand on my car, why do i have to save money on good cable? Same for service, cant understand people saving money on servicing their cars..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, I checked what's inside and it's full chip. There are reviews on AliExpress and people often post pictures. Let's be real, where do you think that "reputable" uk seller got his supply? ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, I checked what's inside and it's full chip. There are reviews on AliExpress and people often post pictures. Let's be real, where do you think that "reputable" uk seller got his supply? ;)
If course China, like everyone else but bought it i don't know nearly year ago, local company, warranty, help guide, etc, etc...

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well without Diagbox I would have had a few expensive bills.
Went pver a small pothole on my T9 and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. ABS,ESP, handbrake etc all needed "repair"
With my 7.76 version I was able to find and clear all the faults. Never happened since either.
For general maintenance it's well worth it. If you want to delve into the very innards and modify everything in sight, then maybe not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried Windows 7 when I first got it and it didn't work properly, had a word with Panasonic technical about it and they said to go back to Vista. Everything works now, so I guess I'm stuck with it!

Is telecoding programming a virgin ECU? And is it only the BSI that will not work? I guess I can live with that and worry about it if I ever need to program one, as long as it can do all the diagnostic and communicate with all the systems such as BSI, SRS, ABS, EPB etc that my present tool will not do.

Agreed, I was surprised at AndyWest's suggestion not to bother with it.

I have seen AliExpress interface but also read some reports that it takes ages to be delivered. Can you have a look at the listing here on ebay that I mentioned in the first post and tell me what you think - this seems to have software and interface together, but the question is whether it will work on Vista as most listings say it has to be XP. I guess I could install VMware but to be honest I found it a pain to work with.

The final question is whether Diagbox has to have a dedicated laptop with nothing else installed on it as many have recommended, or can it work alongside other programs like picoscope for example. If it doesn't then I will have to bite the bullet and buy another laptop with whatever operating system is required, but preferably Windows 7 or 10.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went pver a small pothole on my T9 and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. ABS,ESP, handbrake etc all needed "repair"
With my 7.76 version I was able to find and clear all the faults. Never happened since either.
Mine did something similar a couple of times in the morning when first started up but cleared when turned off and restarted - put it down to a communication can-bus glitch, my scanner read U0140 communication with BSM pending but I did not clear it and it cleared itself.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well in my posts 2 and 4 I've mentioned what can be done with diagbox on new cars, so apart of diagnostic and code erasing not much and for example i cant get in to my ECU because is not recognised on my 7.83 so even if there is a fault, cant erase it. Telecoding works fine on oldish cars, tried to activate aux port on p407 without any problems. Anyway you need a decent laptop with good battery and usb port not a special laptop. I am using my daily laptop but i have installed virtual machine with xp on and everything on ssd, that helps a lot. Tried once win 7, but from unknown reasons it didn't work, never bothered again but I'll it again maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is always handy to have it, even if it is only for reading errors and getting diagnostics done (hence the lower the price the better for a full chip working unit). A lot of PSA codes and tests are exclusive to PSA hardware, and not many other readers will get through, just spit out a number that you will probably not guess...and when you finally get to it on the internet, it makes no sense...So this point in favor of the Chinese Diagbox.

In my April 2015 308 SW GT, with diagbox 7.57 and with firmware 4.3.2, and with the revision C serial number on a non full-chip reader, I managed to do some manual telecoding (door mirrors not retracting automatically, for example), although there is also lot of things one cannot do anymore, compared to older vehicles, simply because the newer equipment inside the vehicles are not recognized by this software version anymore...If you fully install up to 7.83, most equipments will be recognised, but the software will annoyingly ask for a connection to the PSA servers, and will not even proceed to the coding menus. edit: and aparently you can buy PSA server time, so that you can actually do some telecoding, this I have not tried yet...

Up to version 7.83, the most compatible operating system is windows XP sp3, 32 bit.

You can either have a newer machine with windows 7 or 10 (I do not recommend doing this on windows Vista) run windows xp in a virtual environment (machine), or you can create a multiple boot system with your current laptop, where you will be able to boot to windows XP and any other operating system side by side. My little Asus Seashell netbook runs windows 7, windows xp, linux ubuntu mate and androidx86 all side by side (never simultaneously), and works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Well with my 7.76 on Win 7, I managed to communicate with everything doing a global check, including the ABS etc, which no EOBD scanner will do. And yes it commmunicated with the engine ECU no problem and cleared all fault codes.

Service Box will allow you to buy server time I understand. Not that I have ever had need to. But then I'm not bothered about modifications, more about maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, a lot of useful information here. I think I will go with the ebay item I mentioned above and see if it will work on my Vista laptop. If not, it will then be either a virtual XP system or another laptop. Like Brilec, I am only really interested in maintenance, not reprogramming stuff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well with my 7.76 on Win 7, I managed to communicate with everything doing a global check, including the ABS etc, which no EOBD scanner will do. And yes it commmunicated with the engine ECU no problem and cleared all fault codes.

Service Box will allow you to buy server time I understand. Not that I have ever had need to. But then I'm not bothered about modifications, more about maintenance.
7.76 can read ECU? Interesting, have to try it, never had a chance to read ecu on my 15 plate 1.6bluehdi with 7.83 version

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks guys, a lot of useful information here. I think I will go with the ebay item I mentioned above and see if it will work on my Vista laptop. If not, it will then be either a virtual XP system or another laptop. Like Brilec, I am only really interested in maintenance, not reprogramming stuff.
With Vista maybe you can get it done simply by installing and running the program in "windows xp compatibilty mode".

See here for more details: Support

·
Registered
978 Posts
There is a Wiki on the French Car Forum detailing the changes in software release from Diagbox 6.39/7.16 onwards. It's centred on Citroen, rather than Peugeot, but still contains much information.

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Diagbox_Software_Change_Logs_(From_6.39/7.06_On)

If the link breaks forum rules then could it be deleted and replaced by a message to PM me for details please.

EDIT Fixing link

·
Registered
15,377 Posts
The problem is mainly down to everyone installing the latest versions of software the older versions work fine in most cases latest is not always best.

The other issue is newer 2015 onwards cars are hard to read for ANY diagnostic gear this is due to PSA moving to online diagnostics needing handshakes with their servers which bootleg stuff cannot do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With Vista maybe you can get it done simply by installing and running the program in "windows xp compatibilty mode".

See here for more details: Support
Never knew I could do that! Thanks!

There is a Wiki on the French Car Forum detailing the changes in software release from Diagbox 6.39/7.16 onwards. It's centred on Citroen, rather than Peugeot, but still contains much information.

https://frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Diagbox_Software_Change_Logs_(From_6.39/7.06_On)

If the link breaks forum rules then could it be deleted and replaced by a message to PM me for details please.
Finally got to it - there is a 'close bracket' missing at the end of your link. It all seems to be Citroen but although V7.83 is not on the list it seems to be around mid-2015, so it is possible that 2015 cars will be covered - here's hoping!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts