Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another guide. This time downloading and installing the virtual (VM) version of Diagbox 9

This is a totally free version that doesn't need any manual installing or activating.

Tested on an i3 laptop with 8Gb RAM and Windows 10 64 bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another guide. This time downloading and installing the virtual (VM) version of Diagbox 9

This is a totally free version that doesn't need any manual installing or activating.

Tested on an i3 laptop with 8Gb RAM and Windows 10 64 bit.
Not being up to date with computing as I retired many years ago I’m having trouble understanding the VM installation. I bought the Dell laptop with i3 and SSD off ebay as you recommended but it is loaded with windows 10 64 bit so using the VM is my only option. I’ve followed your guide for downloading the three files but when I go to open the VM file there’s nothing to download just the company who presumably sells the VM software. Do I need to install microsofts Virtual Machine software to enable me to copy Diagbox to my new 32 bit Virtual Machine. I hope you can understand what I mean.

Incidentally if I bought a new windows 10 professional 32/64bit with key software could I then load this new software onto my existing windows 10 home edition 64 bit that came with the laptop then load diagbox without having a virtual machine.
Many thanks

·
Registered
Peugeot 4007, 2013.
2,460 Posts
Not being up to date with computing as I retired many years ago I’m having trouble understanding the VM installation.
You need this software https://www.vmware.com/au/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html

If you're new to using Virtual Machine (VM) images, please make sure you have turned on virtualisation (VM instruction sets) in the bios of the computer. Intel CPU called virtualisation and AMD CPU it's called SVM. Apple Mac by default normally on and some BIOS default is on, but more often this is turned off. Use a search engine, if you need to find it in your specific BIOS, they are all different, but typically it is located in CPU sections as related to instructions for virtualisation being turned on.

·
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Incidentally if I bought a new windows 10 professional 32/64bit with key software could I then load this new software onto my existing windows 10 home edition 64 bit that came with the laptop then load diagbox without having a virtual machine.
Many thanks
You could, but you would need to pay to activate. The VM version of Diagbox 9 we use is pre-activated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the info I’ll try to digest it. Incidentally I’ve got an early version on another laptop so presume I could use this software then update as I’ve ordered the 64/32 windows 10 software for my new laptop overwriting the 64 bit version on at the moment.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 Peugeot 4008
9 Posts
Thank to RedSector for putting me onto this thread I was having trouble with my attempts to get my VM working.
Downloaded from this area and all is on the laptop. Tomorrow I'll put this into effect and see how I go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
First of all i want to thank @Gibbo for this wonderful tutorial.
I followed all your steps and got it almost working.
The VM installed beautifully and the cable is connected as it should but when i try to start Diagbox it quits abruptly after checking if there is an internet connection.
Am I doing something wrong? The VM does not have internet access allowed...
FYI i used to have an older version of Diagbox so i know my way around the app

·
13,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd probably recommend the 9.129 Virtual one here:

·
Registered
2007 Peugeot 206
28 Posts
Thanks Gibbo! I followed the guide and everything worked like it should in the end.

Just 2 lil points I did find though:

1. When you first run the Virtual Machine, VMWare Player will pop up asking you if you want to install VMWare Tools. If you don't install those tools, when you go to plug in the Lexia and select Connect to a Virtual Machine, it will instead try to install the drivers/hardware on the laptop itself, which you will see in the Windows Taskbar, and it will fail because it wasn't supposed to be trying to install there.
Just install the VMWare Tools when prompted (next time you run the VM) and that driver install step should work as described.

2. The current version of VMWare Player (16) is not compatible with Windows 7, so if you try to install that you get an error complaining it's for Win8 or newer. Just leech version 15 instead- helpful links for those downloads were included in a .txt file :)

·
Registered
Peugeot 4007, 2013.
2,460 Posts
Can you explain the difference between hardware it is possible to buy?
AER is the latest, and is the same as Lexia 3 full chip and perhaps is best suited to newer vehicles. (it is what I use on my 4007, 2013)
Lexia 3 full chip is minimum specification you ideally want, 12pcs JAPAN NEC Relays+ 7pcs OPTOCOUPLERS (it can run more testing functions than cheaper models)

The older the vehicle, the more likely you will need additional cables offered. I don't know exact cross-over dates or models, just that they are legacy.
I have never used anything below Lexia 3 specification, so don't know much about it.

Hope this is helpful.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts