Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
307 2.0 HDi 90 Rapier (51 Plate)

Evening All,

Got in car at work this afternoon and drove to pick kids up from school (15 miles), stop car for about 15 mins when I came back to it wouldn't start. Lights are on in display panel but engine didn't turn over and I couldn't hear any clicking from fuse box.

Went back to it about a couple of hours later and bumped it off, got home and same again dead. Battery is about 3 years old and last time it went something similar happened ie no warning, but I can't remember if central locking lights etc worked as they do now.

Is it the battery or do I need to look elsewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
11,766 Posts
I'd check the battery wiring, especially the earth cables which run under the battery tray. I've checked them on every 306 and 307 I've owned (running into double figures now) and they've all needed attention.

·
11,766 Posts
One of the bolts for the battery tray has to be unbolted from under the front passenger wing, so you may need to take off the wheel and plastic wheel arch liner.

But believe me its well worth it as part of an inspection maintenance task, as you can check the horn and ABS pump are in good condition while you're under there. Preventative maintenance now prevents failure later on!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a look at the cables from the battery and under the bay to the bodywork and they look fine, I also ran a jump lead from negative to engine block and still nothing.

Anything else I should check?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Simplest way to eliminate the battery would be to swap it out. If you haven't a spare battery then you could ask a friend / neighbour if you could use their battery. Easiest way would be to disconnect your battery and connect to the other battery using jump leads to your battery cables making sure they don't touch each other or the body or other metal work.

If the problem remains then it could well be the starter motor or part of the starter motor circuit - fuse, relay etc. Could even be the ignition switch on the barrel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Simplest way to eliminate the battery would be to swap it out. If you haven't a spare battery then you could ask a friend / neighbour if you could use their battery. Easiest way would be to disconnect your battery and connect to the other battery using jump leads to your battery cables making sure they don't touch each other or the body or other metal work.

If the problem remains then it could well be the starter motor or part of the starter motor circuit - fuse, relay etc. Could even be the ignition switch on the barrel.
Are the lights bright as usual or dim/yellowish? If yes, This may also indicate poor battery power and the starter requires more power than the lights to turn over the engine, therefore no start.

I'd also say that 3 years battery lifetime is average these days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lights look normal to me, I borrowed a charger and the minute the battery is on charge.

Would the wife's 206 battery have enough power if I connect jump leads from it to my battery terminals?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts