Peugeot Forums banner

Data connection between car and app?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mudlogger 
#1 ·
Hi,

Can someone explain how the e-2008 connects to the myPeugeot app? I thought it was via Bluetooth but this seems really hit and miss? I'm not sure I understand how the state of charge is monitored when I have the vehicle parked somewhere (for example the train station car park) and I am away from it? I understood that the car had no data connection of its own to facilitate this. Right now I am 5 metres away from the car but it refuses to connect when I want to remotely start the air-con!

Anybody have any info?

Many Thanks!

#2 ·
In order for the ‘MyPeugeot‘ app to collect journey information it needs to connect by Bluetooth. This connection usually happens within half a mile of the journey starting, but it is sometimes hit and miss I’m afraid. At the end of the journey the car updates the app (or should do) as soon as the car is switched off. Again this is not that reliable, and sometimes the car head unit doesn’t collect the journey details at all. Regarding the charge information and preheating schedule this has nothing to do with Bluetooth. When you use the app to refresh or query the charge information the phone must have data access to the internet and sends a query to the Peugeot server with your VIN. The server then sends this on to the car and receives a response, which is then sent back to the phone.

#3 ·
Thank you for the info. I'm not too worried about the journey info. Its the charge and preheat that I'd like to use. I get that the phone needs internet access, but how then is the server communicating with the car - I understood the car had no data capability of its own so was essentially disconnected without the user phone in range?

#4 ·
The car does have its own internet connection via the internet modem and SIM card of the Peugeot SOS system built in. It is capable of communicating with the Peugeot servers using it’s VIN as identity.
When you sign in with your ‘MyPeugeot’ app you also do so with the car’s VIN so you communicate indirectly with the car via a Peugeot server as intermediary in the middle for security. Although quite slow this part of the app works most of the time, unlike the Bluetooth part between the phone and the car when we are inside it.
Hope this helps your understanding a bit.

Reactions: jp0202
#5 · (Edited)
the car has a 2g/3g modem that speaks to servers somewhere on the internet, that your app also pulls data from. when you are in range the app will use bluetooth to get trip data directly from the car. the latter functionality I suspect doesnt work for me while I connect the phone to the car via carplay and usb... and in some regions, like Norway where I am, 3G was switched off a while ago, which leaves the dog slow 2G to connect to the car when outside bluetooth range.... takes 2 minutes to switch on preheating. very annoying. in 2025 also 2G will be switched off, so hopefully PSA will be forced to upgrade the communication module of these cars, as it is part of a mandatory EU safety feature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.