Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was just changing over the insurance to the new car for Thursday and it asked me in the info if the car has a dashcam fitted. I clicked no because mine is on pre order (ordered the Thinkware F800) and I don't currently know when that will arrive. When I got to the screen where it says what my new premium will be it was an additional £45 for the year. I thought I would trial to see if saying yes it does have a dashcam fitted would make a difference and it came out with a refund of £13 for the year.

Thats a saving of £58 for the year for me so well worth investing in a dashcam as it will give added security and pay for itself over the next few years.

My insurance company is AXA if you're interested.

Just thought it was worthwhile letting you all know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got the same with AXA when I insured with them as been using a transcend dashcam's for a while....but moved to Aviva and saved £150 quid but they don't give any discount for dashcam's....they did note that I had one in case it got stolen from the car though :lol:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm with Saga, when I told them I have a dash cam they were not interested. The reason I have a policy with Saga is the fact that they allow unlimited European cover whereas most other companies allow a maximum trip stay of 30 days and total maximum number of days per annum of 90 days.

Just tried a quote with AXA which works out at £9.00 less than my renewal quote with Saga but does not include all he benfits including European travel.

I am trying to find a cheaper insurance so thanks for the tip Paul but I fear I will not find anything better than Saga for my needs.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
As a matter of interst, I was filling out an on-line quote with AgeUK the other day and one of the questions was 'does your car have a tracking device?' My assumption is Peugeot are able to track our cars if they want to but the drop down list did not include anything for Peugeot and there was no facility to say 'other'.

I am interested to know, therefore if Peugeot can track our cars in the event of them being stolen?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
In France Peugeot offer some additional 'Peugeot connected packs', one of which offers tracking in this way. Nothing like this seems to be available (yet) in the UK.

Connect Packs : les services connectés par Peugeot

You'll see the tracking pack in the link above (from 175 euros)

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
The tracker question is asking about 3rd party tracking devices not factory fit ones like the police have access to they are mainly fitted to more expensive theft prone cars not bread and butter models like peugeots.

·
4,164 Posts
I have dash cams in both my peugeots + one facing the rear in the 3008...the reason I have them is to avoid any 50/50 claims that may happen with no witnesses...and for any other motorist/cyclist that needs help.....

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
In France Peugeot offer some additional 'Peugeot connected packs', one of which offers tracking in this way. Nothing like this seems to be available (yet) in the UK.

Connect Packs : les services connectés par Peugeot

You'll see the tracking pack in the link above (from 175 euros)
I'm still unclear about whether Peugeot have the ability to track our 3008s:

1. If they are stolen.
2. With Big Brother in mind.

A crash or a press on the red button will alert Peugeot and presumably they are able to locate the car without intervention from the driver.

Mypeugeot app records our journeys, is this down to our phones or the cars' systems?

I'm not particularly concerned about tracking my vehicle if stolen and reducing my insurance premium etc............ just interested. :confused:

Reactions: Roma

·
Registered
408 Posts
I hope the extra mapping services will be available in the UK, it would help me to do my business mileage :)

Regarding the insurances offering discount if you have a dashcam, do they accept and allow the fact of you using one of the fuse (so the wiring is neat and it doesn't jeopardise a 12V socket) or not ?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I tend to think the discounts for a dashcam are an enticement to take out the insurance, as some of the el cheapo HD dashcams people buy off Ebay are next to useless, if in fact they even work. Is there a clause to say it must be a pucker brand, and be capable of filming night and day in 1080p resolution??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a warning about dash cams and car insurance. I'm with Aviva at the moment and the policy states you cannot leave the dashcam on display when the car is vacated in case the dashcam is stolen. So much for leaving in the car to provide evidence of bumps etc.

Just to be absolutely sure I take it with me wherever I go which can be a bit of a pain. I suggest peeps check their insurance terms.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just a warning about dash cams and car insurance. I'm with Aviva at the moment and the policy states you cannot leave the dashcam on display when the car is vacated in case the dashcam is stolen. So much for leaving in the car to provide evidence of bumps etc.

Just to be absolutely sure I take it with me wherever I go which can be a bit of a pain. I suggest peeps check their insurance terms.
Hi jonno,

What document is that detailed in? I insure with aviva and have the dashcam down as a modification as cctv and I don't find any such exclusion or small print in the docs.

Cheers

Martin

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
i was told the same on the phone by Aviva when I insured, and when I queried it they told me it was specifically mentioned in the T&Cs of the policy.
I haven't actually searched my documents for it, but I did tell the guy who took the call that it was a ridiculous condition, and asked him whether there were similar clauses that specifically said you couldn't leave bundles of £50 notes, or gold jewellery on display. A rare occasion where I felt stupidity needed to be addressed with a touch of sarcasm.

·
Registered
136 Posts
i was told the same on the phone by Aviva when I insured, and when I queried it they told me it was specifically mentioned in the T&Cs of the policy.
I haven't actually searched my documents for it, but I did tell the guy who took the call that it was a ridiculous condition, and asked him whether there were similar clauses that specifically said you couldn't leave bundles of £50 notes, or gold jewellery on display. A rare occasion where I felt stupidity needed to be addressed with a touch of sarcasm.
Interesting...was never told that when I took out mine out...now I need to double check everything.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts

I bet the idiot who worded this in the clauses did so based on items attached to the dashboard that can easily be stolen (TomTom SatNav's, Mobile Phones, etc.).
What they failed to think was a camera is actually a prevention tool not a 'bling' item.
Using their statement that would also mean the cameras I have that help to protect my property should also be removed otherwise they will be stolen!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
just checked all the online docs and there is no mention of removing the camera anywhere so still intrigued where some members have this detailed in their docs.

On mine its down as a modification and listed in the policy schedule

Vehicle modifications: Camera - In Car CCTV

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok here's the deal with Aviva on aftermarket dashcams.

They advise you to remove the camera as its on show and could of course be nicked a bit like satnav's used to be. In this instance the value of the dashcam would not be covered if stolen but damage to your car as a result of the break in, would be. My guessing is that if they break in to steal some other item or the car itself but are unsuccessful then they will definitely take the dashcam given it may contain evidence .

So I guess this comes down to how much you've paid for dashcam and if there are any excesses associated to a personal belongings claim?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok here's the deal with Aviva on aftermarket dashcams.

They advise you to remove the camera as its on show and could of course be nicked a bit like satnav's used to be. In this instance the value of the dashcam would not be covered if stolen but damage to your car as a result of the break in, would be. My guessing is that if they break in to steal some other item or the car itself but are unsuccessful then they will definitely take the dashcam given it may contain evidence .

So I guess this comes down to how much you've paid for dashcam and if there are any excesses associated to a personal belongings claim?
Yes that's what I was told verbally via my insurance broker who was on the phone to them when I renewed. My policy is "Private Car Policy (Powerpoint)." Aviva pointed out (rightly or wrongly) that it's the same as leaving your portable satnav or mobile phone on display

Page 11 - "Personal Belongings - Personal property within your car . This includes portable audio equipment, multi-media equipment,communication equipment, personal computers, cameras, satellite navigation and radar detection systems"

Page 21 Section 5 - "Personal Belongings - The maximum amount payable for any one incident is £150." A claim can only be made under this section when also making a valid claim which is accepted under Section 1 - Loss or damage to your car"

I suppose the dashcam will be classed as a camera/satellite navigation if it has GPS built in like mine has. I think some models also have radar detection so a triple whammy is at play here:mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.