Peugeot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to get a dashcam fitted at Halfords but they wont touch my 3008 as it has keyless entry?!?

Anyone know a good value dashcam fitter? :)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Look on line for a local in car audio installer. They will have the dash cams and know how to fit.
Alternatively buy one from Amazon or somewhere just plug it into your ciggy lighter socket as I did with my transcend 200

My car is keyless entry too

Grumpy

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Unless the key being able to turn on the power source to the camera without turning on the ignition then there shouldn't be a problem. Every dashcam I have come across is by default set to come on when the ignition is on and to shut itself down when the ignition goes off. Obviously this requires the power source to be ignition controlled. So, unless the key turns the ignition on just by being in or near the car then I fail to see the issue.

Or maybe they haven't got a clue how to remove the trims to fit it neatly and hide all the wiring because the car is so new.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Good question. Something to do with the power being on and off at random times with the key vicinity....or something! :confused:
I'd just wire it onto same circuit as cigarette lighter, which is off when car is off. Some DashCams like to be wired so they can come on when the ignition is off to detect people bumping your car in car parks, maybe this is related to their concerns.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd just wire it onto same circuit as cigarette lighter, which is off when car is off. Some DashCams like to be wired so they can come on when the ignition is off to detect people bumping your car in car parks, maybe this is related to their concerns.

Or maybe as mentioned above, its just an excuse :)

Just need to find someone not too expensive to do it. I dont like messing with car electrics.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Some DashCams like to be wired so they can come on when the ignition is off to detect people bumping your car in car parks, maybe this is related to their concerns.
That is called parking mode and requires a permanent live supply and stops the auto record start and shutdown with the ignition. Even that wouldn't cause any issues to anyone half competent.

I bought a hardwire kit for my dashcam. It uses a piggyback fuse connector. Find a live to suit your requirement (mine was a switched live), remove the fuse and plug in the piggyback. The fuse you took out now goes into the piggyback next to the camera fuse. With the cable to the camera tucked away behind trims it looks great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is called parking mode and requires a permanent live supply and stops the auto record start and shutdown with the ignition. Even that wouldn't cause any issues to anyone half competent.

I bought a hardwire kit for my dashcam. It uses a piggyback fuse connector. Find a live to suit your requirement (mine was a switched live), remove the fuse and plug in the piggyback. The fuse you took out now goes into the piggyback next to the camera fuse. With the cable to the camera tucked away behind trims it looks great.
Hoe easy is it mate?

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
Can't say for your car as I don't think I've even seen one But if the trims up the side of the screen come off the same as on the 308 very easy.

1) Position the camera where you want it to be.
2) Working back from the camera, feed the hardwire cable behind the roof lining to the pillar and down to the dash. There's usually places you can clip it in to keep it tidy. Leave enough cable to reach the camera with a little extra spare.
3) Peel back the door rubber weather strip to feed the cable below the dash then push the rubber back in place to hold the cable out of sight.
[EDIT} Missed a step
3a) Locate a fuse in the BSI then[EDIT Complete}
4) With the ignition on, use a volt meter to find a live then check to see if it goes out immediately when the igniton is turned off. The fuse needs to be 10amps or more.
5) Once you have a suitable fuse, pull it out and fit the piggyback connector in it's place. The fuse you took out goes into the empty place in the piggyback.
6) find an earth point to connect the black wire and tidy up any excess cable and secure it to something convenient so it doesn't foul anything.
7) Test it works.

You could use any 12volt tester like one of those little screwdrivers that lights up or a simple bulb with wires attached.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Was going to get a dashcam fitted at Halfords but they wont touch my 3008 as it has keyless entry?!?

Anyone know a good value dashcam fitter? :)

This is my dashcam installation:

Photo 1 - shows the Blackvue dashcam located beneath the mirror cluster. Ignore the rain drop and adjacent speck.

Photo 2 - shows the dashcam is completely out of view when driving.

The wiring is taken around the windscreen, down the passenger A pillar and into the glovebox. The wire is neatly tucked behind the roof lining and pillar cover, no dismantling is required.

Photo 3 - Despite earlier information to the contrary there are fuses behind the cover to the left of the fragrance dispenser. No need to take the wires externally or through the bulkhead.

The Black view requires a permanent and switched live because it has a park function. The small box beneath the fragrance dispenser is a unit that prevents the battery from discharging below a certain level.

As an alternative to hard wiring the 12v plug on the dashcam lead could be plugged into the 12v socket under the dash or rear passenger 12v socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for that Dautres... have been thinking about that dashcam... but have held out as I don't want anything visible... so that has put my mind at rest!

They do that model with a separate rear camera too... where an additional wire extends to a further camera on rear window.. do you have that one? If so is the rear camera easy to wire through too?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice installation Dautres, can I remind everyone that if your dashacm has a live feed via a monitor on the back that the driver should not be able to see the image when driving in the UK.
I know that the boys in blue round here have been stoping people to remind them of this when it's obvious that the driver can see the screen. It's amazing ghe number of cars I saw over winter where I could see the image from my car driving behind them, it was obvious that it was visible to the driver too.
Has anyone hsd a discount from their insurers with one of these fitted? Not going to bother me when mine arrives as I will be on company insurance however was thinking of fitting one inthe wife's car as well

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
There is also a legal maximum distance the camera can encroach within the area swept by the wipers. Can't remember off the top of my head but it is easily found using the search engine of your choice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is my dashcam installation:

Photo 1 - shows the Blackvue dashcam located beneath the mirror cluster. Ignore the rain drop and adjacent speck.

Photo 2 - shows the dashcam is completely out of view when driving.

The wiring is taken around the windscreen, down the passenger A pillar and into the glovebox. The wire is neatly tucked behind the roof lining and pillar cover, no dismantling is required.

Photo 3 - Despite earlier information to the contrary there are fuses behind the cover to the left of the fragrance dispenser. No need to take the wires externally or through the bulkhead.

The Black view requires a permanent and switched live because it has a park function. The small box beneath the fragrance dispenser is a unit that prevents the battery from discharging below a certain level.

As an alternative to hard wiring the 12v plug on the dashcam lead could be plugged into the 12v socket under the dash or rear passenger 12v socket.
Thanks for that post! Awesome description and photos!!! Thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is also a legal maximum distance the camera can encroach within the area swept by the wipers. Can't remember off the top of my head but it is easily found using the search engine of your choice.
Thanks storeman, didn't know that, will bear it in mind

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sadly noone seems to take notice of the legislation, it's a huge bug bear of mine that I see people driving with a big satnav glued to the screen in the middle of the area they should be looking through. I'm guessing it must be very poorly policed also judging by peoples behaviours.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Sadly noone seems to take notice of the legislation, it's a huge bug bear of mine that I see people driving with a big satnav glued to the screen in the middle of the area they should be looking through. I'm guessing it must be very poorly policed also judging by peoples behaviours.
There must be many millions of infringements in that case surely.

·
Registered
5,946 Posts
True, just like morons with their mobile glued to their ear or worse texting while driving I've even seen a couple of drivers reading a newspaper while driving but regardless of how many get away, the ones that do get caught ususally get severe penalties. It's never going to stop, how long has there been drink driving laws but people still take the chance.

If you don't do it then you won't get caught but if you do it then do you want to take the chance of being caught - I don't.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts