Peugeot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,i want to fit my dashcam,however the wiring to the power socket looks a bit of a problem.I want to fit it,so the wires are hidden,ie up in roof lining,down side of door pillar,however the hardest part,looks like trying to get the wire behind dash? to cig lighter? anyone done this or have pointers? thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks storeman,i take it i just runs off when ignition is live? rather than a constant live feed?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I bought a female 12v socket and wired that to a piggy back fuse.
Then just plugged my dash cam in to that.
Think it cost me about £3 total. Worked fine for the last 3/4 years.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Using the piggyback to a fuse in the BSI inthe glovebox means you can keep virtually all the wiring hidden. Using the 12v accessory socket means you can't plug anything else in or you have to buy a multiple accesssory socket and then things start to get untidy with the risk of the plug coming loose and the camera going off or the cables being snagged pulling the plug out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
storeman,did you have to fit the ferrite core? if so how did you fit it? as hole looks massive to thickness of wiring? thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not essential to use the ferrite core but helps massively with EMI. I doubled up the wire until the ferrite core would tighten. Then wrap with 'leccy tape, so it wouldn't rattle. Depending on your install, I shoved all the excess wire incl. ferrite core into the dash support pipe accessible from the side panel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for being a pain,i used the hard wire kit as suggested by storeman,however a few of the fuses i tried in the glove box seemed to be constant live? i ended up,using the ignition diagnostics fuse,however after going back out to the car an hour later,the dashcam was still on? i checked the settings on the dashcam,and its supposed to power off after 10 secs,so does this mean,the fuse i have selected is constantly live? or have i done something wrong? thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not essential to use the ferrite core but helps massively with EMI. I doubled up the wire until the ferrite core would tighten. Then wrap with 'leccy tape, so it wouldn't rattle. Depending on your install, I shoved all the excess wire incl. ferrite core into the dash support pipe accessible from the side panel.
BiGK sorry for being thick,whats EMI? thanks

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Electromagnetic interference.

I can't recall which fuse I used in my 407s.
Possibly the drivers door window/mirror controls.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have tried 4 different fuses now,and they all seem to be live with the ignition off? sometimes my car is parked up for a week at a time due to my work,the last thing i would need is to return and have a flat bty.however when i just went out to check if dashcam was still running,when i switched on ignition it says it was powering down,so it seems to be working back to front? if that makes sence? tia

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yep, had the same issue as well, most of the fuses, including the one for the cigarette lighter is permanently live.

On mine, I used F10, depending on your car, you may have a different fusebox layout. Best way to check is to get a multimeter, lock yourself in the car (make sure to disable ultrasonic sensors!), give it a few minutes and then see which fuse is disabled.

However F10 is a bit of a problem too, it gets disabled when engine cranking! So I am going to make a time delay relay and wire that in instead. Seems easier than tapping into the cigg lighter!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cheers,cant believe how much hassle connecting 2 wires is? lol.will get the boss to check with his multimeter on thursday,Thanks again

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got it sussed guys,what a dummy,i was trying fuses with door open and so on,so most fuses would be live,thanks all for your advice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts